View Full Version : Parting Out a GSG-5? Legal?

04-29-2012, 8:07 AM
I hope this is the right thread for this section, I decided to put it here because it relates to the GSG-5.

So a seller on ebay recently parted out his GSG-5. He said that the reason was his frame exploded and couldn't be replaced, so the parts had to go.
While the auction has ended, I don't know if I can post links.

But the parts he sold is as follows:
Barrel Assembly (Has the Serial Number stamped on it)
Bolt Carrier (Has the Serial Number stamped on it)
Trigger Group / Handle (Serial Number stamped on it)
Cocking Tube Housing, Stock, Mock Silencer, etc.

What I'm wondering is, is it legal to sell the Trigger Group (Or Lower) just like that without going through an FFL? Ebay policies notwithstanding, can you just up and sell something like that withouth doing some paperwork?

And if you were to part out a rifle like the GSG, are there any paperwork you need to fill out so that the gun is no longer in your possession? The parts that have the serial numbers, I know you can't erase it, but what steps need to be done to show that you no longer own it?

I'm just curious how a complete rifle can be stripped out and sold like this and what parts with serial numbers need to be re-registered to the new owner.

04-29-2012, 8:20 AM
The receiver or frame is what the atf considers the firearm. All parts other than that, can be sold directly to you.