View Full Version : Here's a tough question about importer and military

04-29-2012, 5:30 AM
I don't mean to make this a life story but just need to start with a little background. I had my CA lisence suspended when I was 16. Enlisted at 17 from my mothers HOR in PA. While stationed in CA I went to the DMV to reapply now 20, and since it was only suspended for a year they gave it right back. My mother moved to AZ, which I now claim as my HOR, two years ago. I purchased a Glock in AZ and is legally "not registered" per the law. I want to keep it at my home in San Diego Ca. Per PC 17000 I don't have to register handguns if I'm stationed in CA but have a HOR in another state. However, since it's not registered in AZ I don't want to have issues if for some reason the police want to run a s/n check. And i dont have proof right then and there that im an Az resident.This all boils down to, I have had my CA DL for 5 years, when I go to register it via ca handgun importer form, sent directly to DOJ, is that going to raise the bull**** flag.

04-29-2012, 6:10 AM
NO. The CA DOJ could care less how long you've had it, as long as you register it.

04-29-2012, 2:02 PM
First of all - Thanks for your service to our country.

Second - Sleep well, there's nothing to worry about in your posting. There is no requirement, in California, for your weapon to be registered in your HOR state if you're claiming the military exemption from California's personal importer reporting requirement.

There are some advantages for you to report your ownership of the weapon to the DOJ (effectively "registering" your weapon even though California doesn't use that term). The primary one is that if you're ever arrested for carrying the weapon loaded, or concealed, and you appear in DOJ records as the owner, then it's a misdemeanor arrest. If you're not listed as the owner, then its a felony arrest. California's gun laws are really quirky and its real easy for a well-intentioned gun owner to get arrested.

I've never heard of DOJ giving anybody any grief over late reporting of importation. That's a moot point in your case, so long as you're on AD, since you're not required to report.

04-29-2012, 6:40 PM
I'm confused. If you're an AZ resident, then you must have an AZ drivers license - from AZ DMV - "As a new resident to Arizona, you are required to obtain an Arizona driver license and to register your vehicles in this state."
How is it that you have a CA license? Is there a CA or AZ address on it?