PDA

View Full Version : Scopes with bullet-drop?

thefinger
04-29-2007, 4:17 PM
I'm gonna pick up a rifle kit with an 16" A2 upper pretty soon, and I'd like to get some sort of compact scope that has 5.56 bullet drop built in to the scope. I see that the ACOG has it on there, but are there any others that may be a little more inexpensive?

brando
04-29-2007, 7:47 PM
BDCs are kind of a mixed bag because they're limited to specific loads. You're better off just getting a good reticle that will allow you good hold points. Horus Vision makes some of the best reticles for this, but often a mil-dot reticle is all you need.

FMJBT
04-29-2007, 9:11 PM
My fingers honestly don't want to type this..... NcStar makes a decent 3-9x carry handle mount scope with a BDC. I should preface this by saying that nearly everything NcStar makes is crap. It's hard to argue otherwise, but this scope seems to be a pretty good deal for $69.00. I'm not a big fan of rubber armored scopes, but they don't make a non armored version of this particular scope. The reticle isn't bad, a "P4" similar to a Mil Dot. The illumination is OK as long as you keep it at a low setting. Higher settings make the inside of the tube flare up red. Clarity is pretty good for a Chinese scope, not anything to write home about but definitely functional. I'm not sure what particular load the BDC is calibrated to, my guess would be standard NATO 5.56 ball ammo as it is the most common. The scope also has some pretty good user reviews on Cheaper Than Dirt.

Mike

3GunFunShooter
04-29-2007, 9:18 PM
Check out this scope.
Not bad for $350. He has a list of over 400 waiting for this
one to come in.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=315758

bwiese
04-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Check out this scope.
Not bad for $350. He has a list of over 400 waiting for this
one to come in.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=315758

You can always find 400 people on ARFcom who will buy anything.

I am sure if I formulated a 'protective scope lens treatment' made from cow dung extract, at least some there would buy it.

$350 for a Chinese scope is laughable. Even if the optics are passable, desire for a fancy reticle while tolerating crap erector system, slop springs, etc. is just insane.

No reticle is worth tolerating prospective easy drift, likely lack of shock tolerance, etc. It doesn't matter what the reticle looks like if it's not on zero.

For $350 you can buy a Valdada 4X or a used 3x or 4X ACOG or 3.4x Elcan in fair shape.

I might use a Red Chinese scope to remove deposits on the sides of my cat's litter box.

The designer of this reticle should just go home, or put it on a real scope.

The likely real story is that other "real" scope vendors would do it for him, they just wouldn't do a production run at his price and/or they're tied up making scopes in high demand (ACOGs, etc.)

xenophobe
04-30-2007, 12:12 AM
You can always find 400 people on ARFcom who will buy anything.

I am sure if I formulated a 'protective scope lens treatment' made from cow dung extract, at least some there would buy it.

$350 for a Chinese scope is laughable. Even if the optics are passable, desire for a fancy reticle while tolerating crap erector system, slop springs, etc. is just insane.

That may very well be the nicest Chinese scope ever made if they actually produce them. The prototype is made by US Optics, and if all the specs are adhered to and the unit makes it to production, I'll be in line for one as well.

The reticle is unique, and really well designed. While I do have concerns that this unit will be Chinese, this may very well be a steal if the specs are rigidly held.

Even the high end guys are waiting to actually see one of the production units before any comments are made.

ocabj
04-30-2007, 6:16 AM
All scopes have bullet drop. It's called the elevation adjustment knob.

If you're intent on not using the elevation knob, then you may as well get the Acog since the various reticles are specifically designed for the US military rounds.

Or you can buy a Leupold through the custom shop. Send Leupold the specifications of the ammo you will be using with the scope (bullet manufacturer, bullet weight, bullet BC -- they can get this from the manufacturer if you don't know it, muzzle velocity) and what distances you want the bullet drop reticle to have marks for. Then Leupold will be able to make you a scope with the bullet drop reticle for your specific ammo. They will also make you an elevation knob with added marks for your specific distances. For example, a friend of mine has a custom Leupold scope for silhouette shooting. The elevation knob has hash marks for 50, 100, 150, and 200 yards for his 6.5 TCU load (iirc). Works great for him even in varying elevations (with respect to sea level) and weather conditions -- not much more than 1/2 MOA difference.

There's no point in a bullet drop reticle if it's not designed for your specific ammo with the muzzle velocity out of your specific barrel. If you are thinking it will be close enough where you can hold off on each hash mark, then that defeats the whole purpose of a bullet drop reticle and you may as well just get a mildot reticle since you could do the same thing with that if test at each distance you will be shooting at with respects to your zero.

pulserifle99
04-30-2007, 3:49 PM
For $350 you can buy a Valdada 4X or a used 3x or 4X ACOG or 3.4x Elcan in fair shape.

Can you point me in the direction of a $350 acog? PLEASE!

brando
04-30-2007, 5:43 PM
Look anywhere used scopes are sold.

3GunFunShooter
05-01-2007, 11:50 AM
The scope has a lot of interest with 3 gun shooters.
True 1 power with dot. Great for up close field course. No need to run a scope and red dot on your rifle, or a JP iron sight set up and turning the gun.
The 4x will be good for most all long range stages. Longest is usually out
to 355 yards, and only 2-3 targets at that range. BDC is a plus once you get it dialed in. I only using a $49.99 Simmons Diamond Pro 1.5 x 5 now.
For me I'll use it to just play a game, and have some fun, not real world.