PDA

View Full Version : New Glock 34 Failure to Feed Using Froglube

orthopod
04-28-2012, 11:35 PM
Warning: Long read but I could really use some help here.

Cliff Notes Version: Brand new Glock 34 treated to Froglube paste as per directions (isopropyl clean, heat parts, coat parts, allow to dry, wipe off excess) had numerous failures to feed today at range with rounds getting caught as they went up the ramp to the barrel. Placed liquid Froglube on all recommended Glock lube points plus the ramp to the barrel and the gun functioned flawlessly. Wondering if I should keep using it as it did make the gun easy to clean, was reliable after applying liquid or if I should dump it as this is also my home defense/nightstand gun and I need something 100% reliable.

Open for your advice...

Just reporting what happened today at the range and hoping for some solid advice. I am a new shooter who got my first shotgun 2 months ago and my first rifle 1 month ago. I had been using Breakfree CLP on the long guns but did not like how greasy/messy it was to use as a cleaner so I tried some mpro7 cleaner which worked well minus my observation that it marked up the painted finish on my Ruger 10/22 receiver and left crud behind in my shotgun barrel that Otis O85 took out. I picked up my first handgun last week (Glock 34) and decided to give Froglube a try fully knowing that some people love it and some say its snake oil.

I field stripped the Glock and gave it a meticulous cleaning with isopropyl alcohol. I then heated the various parts with a blow dryer and applied froglube to the entire slide (minus the striker channel), the entire barrel, and the 4 recommended lube points (where the rail slides back and forth) on the polymer receiver. After giving the first coat around half an hour to dry I removed the excess with a microfiber cloth, heated up the parts, and applied another coat of froglube. I gave it another half hour to dry and then removed the excess with a microfiber cloth.

Today was my first time at the range and around every 3-4 rounds using Federal Champion 9mm I was getting a failure to feed. I would find a round lodged halfway up the feed ramp that goes into the barrel. I sought some help from the range officer who at first thought I was hitting my mag release. I tried a few different grips and kept getting failures to feed with the rounds lodged on the ramp. One round even had a piece of the copper plating on the bullet that looked like it had been scraped off leaving a jagged surface. I then tried different magazines and it kept doing the same thing. I then tried different ammo and same thing. I also noticed that on the last round it would only hold the slide open every now and then...sometimes after the last round the slide was open and sometimes it was closed. I was frustrated as it was a brand new Glock and I couldn't believe that I could only get 1-3 rounds off before it jamming. After around 50 rounds of this it started doing it after every round.

I then field stripped the Glock and decided I would place a drop of the Froglube liquid (it was the only lube I had) on the 4 spots on the polymer receiver and on the ramp that goes into the barrel. After putting the gun back together I fired around 30 rounds with no problems minus that the slide would stay open after the last round intermittently. I field stripped the gun again and relubed the entire barrel with Froglube liquid, the part of the slide where the barrel contacts in the front, and I placed a drop in the back of the polymer receiver around where the trigger connector is.

After putting the gun back together I proceeded to fire around 150 rounds with zero problems and the slide remained open after every final round.

I've thought this over and I believe that the rounds were getting caught as they were sliding up the ramp that leads into the barrel. I am now trying to decide whether I should dump Froglube (as I was having the FTF after applying the paste as per the directions) or if I should keep it (as once I placed liquid drops on the recommended lube points the gun started functioning flawlessly and it was super easy to clean after my range day today). This is my first handgun and I want something reliable as this is serving double duty as my home defense/nightstand gun and I would never want to have a jam like this when the Froglube is in its dry form and before it gets slicked up after shooting as in those situations.

I am now wondering whether I should go ahead with my plan to fully treat my new AR15 to Froglube and to convert all my firearms over to it as it is easy to clean and the gun did work perfectly after applying the liquid form. Or dump the Froglube as I did the initial application to the T and was getting numerous failures to feed using new ammo and a new gun and I am not sure if I trust it for firearms that are doing double duty as home defense firearms.

Open for your advice...

zfields
04-28-2012, 11:39 PM
Picture of you feed ramp and chamber?

orthopod
04-28-2012, 11:41 PM
I wiped the gun down completely with a microfiber upon coming home from the range. Is the picture still helpful? Should I remove the barrel to snap the picture or just open the slide and take the picture?

zfields
04-28-2012, 11:41 PM
both.

orthopod
04-28-2012, 11:43 PM
Ok going to take picture will have it up in a minute or two.

Dhena81
04-28-2012, 11:48 PM
Maybe some limp wristing

orthopod
04-29-2012, 12:00 AM
Pictures of ramp and chamber.

orthopod
04-29-2012, 12:02 AM
Picture of the locking block? which I did not lube as it was not one of the recommended glock parts to lube. I have this wearing of the gray colored coating and can see the copper colored coating on the metal parts of my polymer receiver where the slide slides. Is this kind of wear normal at 200 rounds?

orthopod
04-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Maybe some limp wristing

I thought this originally but the way the FTF stopped abruptly and did not happen again after I added the froglube liquid to the ramp and the slide not staying locked open after last round stopped abruptly after I added the liquid to the recommended Glock lube points makes me think it had to do with the lube.

zfields
04-29-2012, 12:19 AM
on my laptop and the monitor is kinda small, but is there a lip between the ramp and the chamber?

jpm804
04-29-2012, 12:58 AM
My 2cents... Just sounds like your glock was running dry... Don't know much about frog lube but are you suppose to wipe it dry and then just run it like that?

leman77
04-29-2012, 2:41 AM
I'm thinking it's cheap ammo? I've shot many glocks, and the only ftf has been a bad primer on some cheap wolf 9mm.

HondaMasterTech
04-29-2012, 3:29 AM
You should take a picture with the gun jammed. Not much to see at this point.

Low-Pressure
04-29-2012, 3:32 AM
After putting the gun back together I proceeded to fire around 150 rounds with zero problems and the slide remained open after every final round.

^^^If this way the case toward the end of your session, you might have been limp wristing during the beginning or the gun just needed to break it self in.

BTW: I had the same problem with my G34 on my 1st outing but not as bad or as many FTF as you did.
I've never used frog lube, just been using the oil in that orange bottle :D

HighLander51
04-29-2012, 5:21 AM
Your choice of lubes has nothing to do with your issue, for that matter even if it was bone dry for the few hundred rounds you put in it. Federal ammo is good quality, it's not the ammo or the gun, it's you. I see this all the time with new shooters, take a basic pistol course, learn how to shoot and hold the gun like this.

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/DS-mzlflsh.jpg

sirgiles
04-29-2012, 5:53 AM
+1.

Your choice of lubes has nothing to do with your issue, for that matter even if it was bone dry for the few hundred rounds you put in it. Federal ammo is good quality, it's not the ammo or the gun, it's you. I see this all the time with new shooters, take a basic pistol course, learn how to shoot and hold the gun like this.

prkprisoner
04-29-2012, 6:49 AM
Next time it jams take a look at where the round is stuck. One of my glock 35s had a burr at the bottom corner of the breach face causing the rear of the round to get hung up. I polished the corner and now no more FTF.

jakekanen
04-29-2012, 6:55 AM

OP, here's the breakdown of this:
nm9uG5bPubw

Oceanbob
04-29-2012, 7:01 AM
Classic photo my friend..!...very cool. :D

orthopod
04-29-2012, 7:23 AM
Highlander and everyone else I appreciate the advice. After relubing with the liquid I tried gripping as poorly as possible and consciously limp wristing as much as possible and I couldn't get the gun to jam or the slide to not lock back after the last round? No lip on that ramp. Is that ramp supposed to be kept lubricated... Ive heard the glocks run well dry stuff but do you guys lubricate that ramp?

Taildraggerdave
04-29-2012, 7:39 AM
Is that ramp supposed to be kept lubricated... Ive heard the glocks run well dry stuff but do you guys lubricate that ramp?

No, the feed ramp should be dry. I've never heard of lubricating the feed ramp.

Take care,
Dave

Freq18Hz
04-29-2012, 8:33 AM
OP, you probably over lubed, and/or limp wristed it.

Do yourself a favor, ditch all these fancy b.s. over priced gun oils, and use synthetic motor oil intead. For the slide, use some grease. Any high quality grease will do, like bike grease, etc.

No semi auto is 100% reliable. If you want 100%, get a revolver and settle for 99%.

Nightstand is a bad place for a gun anyway, sleepy + firearm = lawsuit. Get a bat to inspect noises, retreat to gun location and wait for cops. Warn any intruders loudly that you have a gun, will shoot if they enter.

It's a Glock. Cheap, plastic, reliable. Shoot the piss out of it. Come back and update the thread in 10k rounds.

-Freq

G-forceJunkie
04-29-2012, 9:00 AM
New gun plus lack of lube (you said you wiped it all off). Get it broke in well, keep the lube points just wet with any liquid lube and you should be fine.

Turo
04-29-2012, 9:22 AM

Do yourself a favor, ditch all these fancy b.s. over priced gun oils, and use synthetic motor oil intead. For the slide, use some grease. Any high quality grease will do, like bike grease, etc.

No semi auto is 100% reliable. If you want 100%, get a revolver and settle for 99%.

Nightstand is a bad place for a gun anyway, sleepy + firearm = lawsuit. Get a bat to inspect noises, retreat to gun location and wait for cops. Warn any intruders loudly that you have a gun, will shoot if they enter.

It's a Glock. Cheap, plastic, reliable. Shoot the piss out of it. Come back and update the thread in 10k rounds.

-Freq

This is just about the worst advice you could possibly give. Unless the person has a history of sleep walking, they should be the deciders of where they keep their home defense gun.

You don't "inspect" noises in your house, and if you do, you don't grab the least effective weapon at your disposal. Geez man, they guy just bought a pistol for home defense and you're telling him to ditch it and grab a bat?

orthopod
04-29-2012, 9:23 AM
New gun plus lack of lube (you said you wiped it all off). Get it broke in well, keep the lube points just wet with any liquid lube and you should be fine.

Per the instructions it said to wipe it off but that is when I got ftf. When I would look inside the chamber the bullet was lodged halfway up the feed ramp as if the friction between the copper bullet and the feedramp was too much to be overcome by the slide trying to slide the whole thing into the chamber. When I placed a drop on all the lube points and spread it around with my finger an left it wet I had no issues even with very intentional limp wristing. I will probably lube it again without doing such an aggressive wipe down as I have found the stuff comes off very easily then I'll let it dry and I'll see why it does at the range next week. If it ftf again the froglube will be going back to amazon and I'll be getting some mpro7 cleaner and lpx gun oil and will try that out. I just want something nontoxic that doesn't smell up our apartment as I have a pregnant wife and works perfectly at the range so that I can trust it...and I will be reading the linked material highlander gave me in another thread to continually work on my form and technique.

orthopod
04-29-2012, 9:39 AM
This is just about the worst advice you could possibly give. Unless the person has a history of sleep walking, they should be the deciders of where they keep their home defense gun.

You don't "inspect" noises in your house, and if you do, you don't grab the least effective weapon at your disposal. Geez man, they guy just bought a pistol for home defense and you're telling him to ditch it and grab a bat?

Thank you I was thinking the same thing. I'd take a loaded glock and a flashlight under my bed any day over a bat for home defense...if If I feel the need for something more I'll grab the loaded shotgun next to it. when the baby comes they will both be going into a quick to access cabinet/safe like the sentry home defense center.

pleonasm
04-29-2012, 12:35 PM
OP,

I bought my glock 34 new. The instructor told me beforehand that i might get a few ftf within the first 100 rounds and if this happens then switch to a heavier round (147 vs 115). After the first 100 rounds were shot then i could switch back to range rounds. This only applied to those of us shooting glock 34s. The instructor didn't give this advice to the people there shooting new glock 17,19,21,22,23 and 35.

Those of us shooting 34s experienced a few ftf right from the get go. We switched to a 147gr defense round and problem went away. After the first 100 rounds I switched back to range rounds and i didn't experience the ftf anymore. That was seven years ago and I haven't had any problems since.

my two cents

-hanko
04-29-2012, 2:45 PM

-Freq
:rolleyes::confused:

How 'bout citing a case where "sleepy + firearm = lawsuit"...

Retreating to a safe location and waiting for cops is fine, depending upon how long it takes the cops to get to you...

Apparently and not obviously to you, using a bat to "inspect noises" is just peachy, assuming the noise is not caused by someone with a gun. Just how do you know?

Loud warnings are a stroke of genius...you've just given the guy with the gun your location.:43:

:sleeping:

-hanko

MadMax
04-29-2012, 3:36 PM
Glocks come with lube from the factory it is the gold lookin stuff. If you ever get another glock just run a patch down the barrel and shoot the gun till the factory lube wears off, then clean and relube. This is what I have done with all my glocks and they run like a swiss watch.

From the story you posted it sounds to me like the frog lube paste screwed up your gun. Just stick with the liquid lube it seems to work.

Just my two cents:)

bigcalidave
04-29-2012, 3:42 PM

-Freq

Well that's just horrible advice. Brand new glocks do this sometimes, lots of brand new guns do this, that's why they say to break them in and shoot a few thousand rounds through them before using them as your defense gun.

Bill Carson
04-29-2012, 3:51 PM
Glocks out of the tupperware are good to go. No field strip. No lube. Just load, aim and shoot.

Dhena81
04-29-2012, 3:57 PM
If your positive your not limp wristing then I blame the factory 10 round magazines. IMO 95% of all gun related malfunctions from any manufacture are a result of magazine issues. BTW revolvers are not more reliable than a modern semi-auto pistol.

No matter what anyone tells you otherwise your supposed to lube every single firearm ever made. People just think its a badge of honor to their ego that is invested in said firearm that it will run dry. Just because it will run dry doesn't mean your supposed to do it because prolonged use in that condition will ultimately shorten the life of your weapon.

badduggy
04-29-2012, 4:01 PM
Glocks come with lube from the factory it is the gold lookin stuff. If you ever get another glock just run a patch down the barrel and shoot the gun till the factory lube wears off, then clean and relube. This is what I have done with all my glocks and they run like a swiss watch.

From the story you posted it sounds to me like the frog lube paste screwed up your gun. Just stick with the liquid lube it seems to work.

Just my two cents:) this is the exact directions i got from my LGS which is a Glock blue label dealer. it sounds like the gold glock lube has a polish/ abrasive quality that assists in break-in. if it is removed, break-in may take longer. run 200rds through it before bringing it in for issues.

Fherot
04-29-2012, 4:39 PM
I got my liquid (non aerosol) ballistol in and the stuff just made junk stream out of an old S&W I had lightly CLP'ed previously. It seems to lubricate very well and it's been around since the Germans created it in WW1 or before. Non-Toxic but holy f*** it smells so bad I wanted to be sick. think of boiled Linseed Oil but with cheese-feet and licorice.

But it's an anti-septic and works amazingly well...

By the way your experience is why I avoided Froglube for my Glock and M&P. It feels like overkill and it's best for all metal guns. Over lubrication seems like the culprit of FTF and slide not locking back. (everything is too slick).

I also avoided m7pro because it eats at aluminum finishes which is a no for me.

That pretty much left the dirt cheap 100 year old Ballistol.

locosway
04-30-2012, 12:11 AM
I run FrogLube on all of my guns. The only gun I've had an issue with was my Sig 1911R, but it wasn't a lube problem.

I've run my Glocks dry, wet, greased, motor oiled... It really didn't matter one bit. Froglube is great because it's non toxic, smells nice, and stays put.

Maybe you're holding the gun wrong, I don't know without seeing you shoot. However, since we're posting pictures of shooting Glocks, here's me.. :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/531856_184907388292353_110098502439909_289241_1579 783385_n.jpg

orthopod
04-30-2012, 12:25 AM
Thanks for all the helpful advice guys. I do wish I would have left that copper colored Glock lube on from the factory especially if it had abrasive/polish qualities. That stuff was hard to take off the slide rails using little cotton cloths, a polymer pick, and rubbing alcohol! I was running 115g the entire time. The gun now has exactly 204 rounds through it. I field stripped it and started adding liquid FL at around round 75. Rounds 75-100 gave no FTF but the slide did not always lock back after the last shot. At around round 100 I lubed every recommended Glock lube point with FL liquid and rounds 100-200 went off perfectly with the slide locking back each time. So it is looking more and more like this may have had to do with break in and possible lubrication issues. I agree that I have much to learn when it comes to grip and stance but I don't think that was an issue here as during rounds 100-200 there were times when I intentionally tried to hold the gun limply to see if it would FTF or not lock the slide back after the last round and that didn't happen. I have wiped the entire gun down after my Saturday range trip. My plan right now is to add FL liquid (as FL is the only lube I have ATM) to the recommended Glock lube points and shoot another 100 rounds next weekend. I will let you guys know what happens.

Travis590A1
04-30-2012, 1:16 AM

-Freq

LOL good joke. I believe the purpose of a HD gun is to defend you and yours. I have my Ruger ready to go with the rack of the slide in my nightstand every night and its been there for the past 2 years and it will continue to be there. When things go bump in the night most "normal" gun owners will grab their guns just in case, because you truly never know what is or isnt there. Whats the point in spending hundreds and or thousands on a HD gun if your just going to grab a bat? F.Y.I. Most home invaders break into houses armed with more than just a bat.

To the OP im no glock expert by any means but my dad has carried one for years, I own a G21sf, and numerous of my buddies own glocks. The glock needs lube just as much as any other gun but a lot of my friends run them fairly dry and dont clean them as much as they should and they all go bang every time. Glocks are known for working flawlessly with minimal cleaning and lubing they are the "AK" of the pistol world if you will lol. With that being said please DO lube and clean your gun but do yourself a favor and dont waste your time and money with fancy oils and just pick up some Remoil, or some CLP and quit limp wristing and you'll be just fine.

Fherot
04-30-2012, 7:42 AM
I missed that you removed the copper factory lube. I'll skip the wouldve-could've-should've but that lube really helps break guns in.

I pick up my G26 today at lunch and it's getting barrel wiped down in Ballistol then a drop of Ballistol on each point required on slide that's it till I go fire a couple hundred rounds.

by then the copper stuff should be gone.

Freq18Hz
04-30-2012, 10:16 AM
To everyone that disagrees: Masaad Ayoob agrees with me. You can say whatever you want, I gave my advice and stand by it. If you want to do something different, go ahead.

That's what I get for posting in a Glock thread I suppose.

OP: your gun is fine, shoot thousands of rounds through it.

-Freq

shooterfpga
04-30-2012, 10:30 AM
To everyone that disagrees: Masaad Ayoob agrees with me. You can say whatever you want, I gave my advice and stand by it. If you want to do something different, go ahead.

-Freq

LOLLLLLLLZZZZ. i will remember to bring me a trophy bat when i deploy to afghanistan in a few months. appreciate the advice, i will definately tell the guys in my unit we can store our weapons at unit arms and just use bats to engage.

locosway
04-30-2012, 10:47 AM

-Freq

I didn't know Ayoob was reading and posting in this thread.

Ub3rDorK
04-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Maybe some limp wristing

In gonna go with this

Kempfer
04-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Failure to feed will never be a lubrication issue ever. It is always a) Limp wrist or b) magazine related c) Feed Ramp angle is incorrect.

Lubrication
I put 1 drop of mpro7 on a q-tip and touch the parts the slide rides on that is all. I have taken it that way to a class and fired 1000 rounds through it with no cleaning or lubing in between and it has been fine.

Limp Wrist
Go back out and shoot the gun one handed with your off hand (left hand if you are right handed). See if the gun malfunctions, if it does you know what the problem is.

Magazine
If your gun isn't locking back on the last round this is typically a magazine issue where the follower doesn't engage the slide lock correctly. Nose dives into the feed ramp will mostly happen on the last round. If that is happening its the magazine.

Feed Ramp
This won't shoot itself correct so I'm sure this isn't your problem and I've never really heard of this happening either.

G-forceJunkie
04-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Failure to feed will never be a lubrication issue ever.

I dissagree. If the slide does not have enough velocity to come all the way to the rear, it can effect the pickup of the round from the mag. I've seen gun have the slide stop on the top round in a full mag. Lubrication effects slide velocity. The OP had several thing against him in this situation: New stiff gun, no lube, and probably soft hitting 115 gr ammo. The fact his slide was not locking back also implys reduced slide velocity.

OP: Don't worry about the copper lube, its nothing special. Its C5A antizeize made by Felpro. Per the factory armors at the armors school I took, they only use that because: Its thick enough to say in place during months of storage and so that there is at least some lube on the pistol if the new owner doesnt lube it before shooting it for the first time. If you cleaned it off and relubed, your GTG.

HighLander51
04-30-2012, 12:12 PM
OP,

I bought my glock 34 new. The instructor told me beforehand that i might get a few ftf within the first 100 rounds and if this happens then switch to a heavier round (147 vs 115). After the first 100 rounds were shot then i could switch back to range rounds. This only applied to those of us shooting glock 34s. The instructor didn't give this advice to the people there shooting new glock 17,19,21,22,23 and 35.

Those of us shooting 34s experienced a few ftf right from the get go. We switched to a 147gr defense round and problem went away. After the first 100 rounds I switched back to range rounds and i didn't experience the ftf anymore. That was seven years ago and I haven't had any problems since.

my two cents

No Glock needs a break in, just grip it and rip it. The G17 on the bottom has over 80,000 rounds thru it, never had a malfunction from day one.

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image35553.jpg

view from the left side

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image35567.jpg

nick
04-30-2012, 2:02 PM
Do keep in mind that a Glock is supposed to be able to function completely dry. Try it, and if you're having issues, it's probably gun-related or shooter's problem. If it functions dry just fine, then lubricate it, and see if you're having any issues then.

Personally, I use Mpro7 for cleaning and Militec-1 for oil and Slide-glide for grease.

Freq18Hz
05-01-2012, 1:47 PM
LOLLLLLLLZZZZ. i will remember to bring me a trophy bat when i deploy to afghanistan in a few months. appreciate the advice, i will definately tell the guys in my unit we can store our weapons at unit arms and just use bats to engage.

Last I checked, the OP's bedroom isn't located inside Korengal valley...

When you get back home, don't forget to keep your rifle next to your bed + phone with your unit members on speed dial. You never know what kinds of things crazed terrorists from afghanistan might do while you are asleep!

Mall ninja's rule this thread, and this forum in general. Just more Glock talk as usual.

OPs gun is fine. The rest of you I'm hoping are well trained, not half asleep, and not in a rush to cause tragedy or legal trouble due to your paranoia and chairborne ranger attitudes.

Here's a bit of reading for the Ninjas:

http://books.google.com/books?id=jKXreRKNCDIC&pg=PA26&lpg=PA26&dq=masaad+ayoob+asleep+night&source=bl&ots=0XjuM_Ot8z&sig=ksC2qsT8i3vsITZ-Pd_QtdZpCzM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=UF6gT7-pHM3WiALcz_WXAg&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=asleep&f=false

-Freq

shooterfpga
05-01-2012, 2:03 PM
Last I checked, the OP's bedroom isn't located inside Korengal valley...

When you get back home, don't forget to keep your rifle next to your bed + phone with your unit members on speed dial. You never know what kinds of things crazed terrorists from afghanistan might do while you are asleep!

Mall ninja's rule this thread, and this forum in general. Just more Glock talk as usual.

OPs gun is fine. The rest of you I'm hoping are well trained, not half asleep, and not in a rush to cause tragedy or legal trouble due to your paranoia and chairborne ranger attitudes.

-Freq

i somewhat agree with part of your statement. however, i think a lot of us on here train or have some training besides normal range time. i keep my guns all over the house, in my truck and on my person. i also have a chl which was free, except for the class. i am sure there are some members that might be better served with a bat until they are comfortable with their weapon. but there are things they can do anyways to make sure they dont have an nd when something goes bump. i live by myself, so obviously i dont have someone to warn me something is about to go down, everyones situation is different though.

Squid
05-01-2012, 2:16 PM
My buddy says never clean them more than once ever 1000 rounds at the most, and then only normal clean and very light dabs of recommended lube at the 4(?) recommended spots.

When I worked at tropical fish store, I was obvious those having problems were those who couldn't leave the fish alone, and every time you mess with a tank it stresses the little guys. Sheesh, you can run a tank of tropical fish without heat or anything, even till ice forms on the top and they just swim a little slower....as long as it is gradual natural change and you don't stress them.

Freq18Hz
05-01-2012, 3:51 PM
i somewhat agree with part of your statement. however, i think a lot of us on here train or have some training besides normal range time. i keep my guns all over the house, in my truck and on my person. i also have a chl which was free, except for the class. i am sure there are some members that might be better served with a bat until they are comfortable with their weapon. but there are things they can do anyways to make sure they dont have an nd when something goes bump. i live by myself, so obviously i dont have someone to warn me something is about to go down, everyones situation is different though.

Since you mentioned Afghanistan, ask someone that has spent time at a fob how they sleep with their weapon.

I'm not telling everyone on this thread that having a gun by your bedside is a bad idea in every case (obviously). I'm telling a new shooter that doesn't know the difference between under lubed/over lubed/ break-in period/normal operation of a reliable semi automatic pistol that keeping a gun bedside to inspect bumps in the night may not be the best idea.

Owning a violin does not make you a musician, owning a firearm or keeping one next to you at night does not make you capable of defending yourself or your family. In fact, without proper training, it's a liability. Throw sleepiness into the mix, and you walk a thin line between tragedy and lawsuit.

The OP was concerned about being able to bet his life on his lubricant choice/Glock due to a malfunction. I think he would be better served with a baseball bat, a retreat plan, and 5k rounds of spent range ammo before he attempts to answer this question.

-Freq

Kendoka
05-03-2012, 10:57 PM
I respectfully disagree. Froglube does not smell good. Hoppes No. 9 smells good. How did "minty" get to be the smell of a gun cleaning product?

locosway
05-04-2012, 12:03 AM
I respectfully disagree. Froglube does not smell good. Hoppes No. 9 smells good. How did "minty" get to be the smell of a gun cleaning product?

I don't know how, but usually when is once you're married.

Ub3rDorK
05-04-2012, 7:43 AM
I don't know how, but usually when is once you're married.

THIS^^

bombadillo
05-04-2012, 7:49 AM
Just friggin oil it with standard gun oil and get a tight tight tight grip. One instructor told me to literally grip it till my hands shook, then back it off a bit till they didn't anymore. That will at least keep you from limp wristing it. All these new dry lube oils and crap out there and good old synthetic 40w gear oil has worked fine for a lot of years now. Lube is lube is lube is lube. From guns to girls, its just made to make things slide better.

Shenaniguns
05-04-2012, 8:51 AM
I have no idea why you's coat the feed ramp and chamber... This is a reason you should dump the magical nonsense and stick to the proven lubes and ONLY apply them in the areas per Glock, Inc.

zfields
05-04-2012, 8:58 AM
I have no idea why you's coat the feed ramp and chamber... This is a reason you should dump the magical nonsense and stick to the proven lubes and ONLY apply them in the areas per Glock, Inc.

+1.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2