PDA

View Full Version : Do you say something when someone muzzles aka muzzle sweeps you?

sapro
04-28-2012, 8:05 PM
Pretty unbelievable how many times I've been swiped aka muzzled by gun store/show employees and people in general.

Recently went to a gun store and an employee in his 50s muzzle me as he was clearing the weapon and even dry fired at my torso to finish.

Wtf?!

Of course he was the typical I don't need you, chip on the shoulder, grumpy, mumbling, know it all, mom and pop lgs employee. You all know the type.

I wanted to say something but I knew to pick my battles and not enter one with said type of individual. Destined for a full blown argument.

What do you do when you get muzzled by someone like that or anyone with an ego?

ElvenSoul
04-28-2012, 8:06 PM
Depends on my mood!

2nd Shot
04-28-2012, 9:27 PM
Usually I'll be like "dude." and point out the offending action, more as a reminder to pay attention than anything.

JNunez23
04-28-2012, 9:30 PM
Depends on my mood!

+1.. but more than likely, I will say something. Not wanting a fight, but I will make it known I did not appreciate that.

sapro
04-28-2012, 9:53 PM
"dude" - gonna use that one next time

locosway
04-28-2012, 10:27 PM
There's an unwritten law that guns in a gun store are always safe and not real, so they can be pointed at people, etc.

I always get looked at funny when someone walks in front of my muzzle and I drop it down so I don't muzzle them.

dbbspider
04-28-2012, 10:30 PM
I quickly move to dodge the muzzle end when someone does that. That usually reminds them not to point it at anyone

zfields
04-28-2012, 10:31 PM
Generally, I kindly ask "What the **** are you doing"

Tarn_Helm
04-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Pretty unbelievable how many times I've been swiped aka muzzled by gun store/show employees and people in general.

Recently went to a gun store and an employee in his 50s muzzle me as he was clearing the weapon and even dry fired at my torso to finish.

Wtf?!

Of course he was the typical I don't need you, chip on the shoulder, grumpy, mumbling, know it all, mom and pop lgs employee. You all know the type.

I wanted to say something but I knew to pick my battles and not enter one with said type of individual. Destined for a full blown argument.

The correct verb is "sweep" not "swipe."

Tell the person in no uncertain terms that if he points his gun at you intentionally or unintentionally you will report him to the range officer every time he does it until the range officer removes him from the range.

:facepalm:

Oceanbob
04-28-2012, 10:45 PM
Plenty of good gun stores have a target on the ceiling for pointing and dry firing.

I worry more about this at the Range. And I've respectfully pulled people back from the booth and mentioned something. I hate it when a guy brings his date, she shoots about half a magazine then turns and sweeps the crowd. ARRRG...

sapro
04-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Good practice to always treat a weapon like its loaded, I believe a question on our hsc test, even in a gun store.

Thanks for the correction on sweep vs swipe. Couldn't remember the word. "I hate being muzzle swept" (past tense)?

Press Check
04-28-2012, 10:55 PM
"Bro, WTF" is the general response at the shop, but being swept at the range definitely warrants a harsh response.

InGrAM
04-28-2012, 10:57 PM
I always point the gun in a safe direction, usually where the wall meets the ceiling but yes, it is very annoying when people sweep me. I have a feeling that your "grumpy old man" gun store employee is very used to people sweeping him because of the whole HSD thing. He is probably just reciprocating the favor to the customers that do it to him. :rolleyes:

PandaLuv
04-28-2012, 11:06 PM
Well, if you're in a gun store, with noobs, and unloaded guns... Chances are you will be muzzle swept.

:shrug: makes sense to me. But if it's at a gun range, someone's house or other setting, if you better not point that **** at me.

CSACANNONEER
04-28-2012, 11:13 PM
If you can't handle an unloaded firearm being pointed in yor dirrection, please, DO NOT THINK OF ATTENDING A SHOT SHOW! I don't normally stress being swept at gun shop, gun shows or trade shows. However, I have a couple stories about being swept at ranges. Once, while training for Mr. and Mrs, Smith, Angelina Jolie swept me with a NFA registered, FA AK variant. Another time, I made an azz out of myself by yelling at some dude who kept sweeping me shooting trap. I yelled at him and created a big scene because, he was turning and working the action on a rental pump 870 while it was pointed behind him and dirrectly at me. I could have handled it better. Then there was the time I told another customer to stop sweeping me with his SKS. After telling him to stop on three separate incidents, he went out to complain to the RO about me "bugging him". When he found out that I worked there, he left and never came back.

Demonicspire
04-28-2012, 11:30 PM
I think it's not good practice. If its in a gun store I probably wouldn't say anything because I know they aren't putting rounds in it, but I would really be bothered by it happening at a range where there is the possibility of "one in the chamber" accidents.

fullrearview
04-29-2012, 12:12 AM
"Pointing a gun at me, loaded or unloaded, will be hazardous to your health the next time it happens."

fullrearview
04-29-2012, 12:14 AM
I think it's not good practice. If its in a gun store I probably wouldn't say anything because I know they aren't putting rounds in it, but I would really be bothered by it happening at a range where there is the possibility of "one in the chamber" accidents.

How do you know? You don't unless you are the one checking it.

chunker
04-29-2012, 12:37 AM
I'll have to agree with fullrearview. The first rule is all guns are always loaded.

osxgp
04-29-2012, 1:02 AM
Plenty of good gun stores have a target on the ceiling for pointing and dry firing.

I worry more about this at the Range. And I've respectfully pulled people back from the booth and mentioned something. I hate it when a guy brings his date, she shoots about half a magazine then turns and sweeps the crowd. ARRRG...

Got to love that.... And while her finger is on the trigger to top it off. Been there.

y3kspoo
04-29-2012, 1:05 AM
Had a whole class 'swept' with a shotgun at the academy range... it happens everywhere...

ErikTheRed
04-29-2012, 1:09 AM
Kindly ask the offending sweeper if you can took a look at the weapon. Check the chamber for unloaded condition in the customary fashion, close the breach, then bring it up and aim it menacingly at the offenders forehead, preferrably at point-blank range. Hold it there for just a split second with a dead bead right between his eyes and then say, "Kinda scary, isn't it? Yeah, I thought so too."

HondaMasterTech
04-29-2012, 3:37 AM
I get swept by muzzles thousands of times a day. You get used to it.

As a tech, I had a hard time getting used to having a 5,000lb car suspended above my head half the day.

HondaMasterTech
04-29-2012, 3:41 AM
I remember the video of the black officer in the classroom who swept his leg while pulling the trigger on a loaded weapon. He shot himself. NEVER point a gun at someone, even if the slide is locked open and you can see that the gun is empty.

FalconLair
04-29-2012, 5:41 AM
Kindly ask the offending sweeper if you can took a look at the weapon. Check the chamber for unloaded condition in the customary fashion, close the breach, then bring it up and aim it menacingly at the offenders forehead, preferrably at point-blank range. Hold it there for just a split second with a dead bead right between his eyes and then say, "Kinda scary, isn't it? Yeah, I thought so too."

YES, even an unloaded gun has that menacing "what if" effect...love it ;)

sapro
04-29-2012, 6:03 AM
Hondamaster - that's how I feel and how I treat all weapons even paintball guns.

Back on topic, I will be as cordial as possible and make it known next time I get swept (i'll state "whoops" then side step, hopefully they'll get the message, if not, educate them). Less cordial at the range for sure (I'll state "stop!!!" side step then push away offenders wrist in direction of less valuable objects like their own body parts).

It just amazes me that people that have been handling guns for years don't know better. I get noobies doing it, still not ok with that though. Maybe like someone stated earlier, that Lgs dude was reciprocating for the daily muzzle sweeps others do to him. Hopefully, he felt like poop after he handed the pistol to me and watched me do a proper chamber check, mag check all the while being muzzle conscience.

VictorFranko
04-29-2012, 6:08 AM
Got muzzled by an FFL that works out of his home as he was handing me a handgun.
I was sitting and he was standing and it was a small room. Shocked the heck out of me that he would be so careless. On top of that, he didn't check the weapon either.
I guess working alone, with no employees, he knows the guns in his home are not loaded, but I sure don't!
I was so shocked by his careless handling that I didn't say anything, which was rare for me. I should have spoke up.

psango
04-29-2012, 7:15 AM
I simply ask if they'd like me to remove the front sight from their gun, and then explain why.

Lead Waster
04-29-2012, 7:17 AM
My training takes over and I do a ninja roll while throwing no less than three ninja stars at the muzzler's head.

geeknow
04-29-2012, 7:25 AM
Depends on my location. At the store, customers point guns directly at me constantly. No, I dont like it. However, getting into a squabble over it with 'i know everything' customers isnt the way to make sales. That is why I clear a gun each and every time I hand it across the counter.

At the range its different.

You muzzle me, I'll tear you a new one. On the spot.

MossbergMan
04-29-2012, 8:05 AM
There is NO excuse for "accidentially" muzzling someone in a controlled environment (read: gun store or range)
Rule One: Consider all guns loaded (Read: Treat them as if they are loaded, handle accordingly) Rule Two: Don't cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
I've been "Black Holed" or muzzled many times by people, when advised they were violating one or more safety rules I get...."but it's unloaded" as if that was an excuse for lax gun safety. The so called UN-loaded gun kills or wounds a lot of Americans every year. We MUST adhere to the safety rules to reinforce proper gun handling behaviors.

Anyone that has taken a class from me will tell you that my standard safety brief includes the statement "If you point a gun at me, I will point one back at you. Yours maybe unloaded, mine is loaded. So let's not put this issue to the test, keep your muzzles in the indicated safe direction(s). Have I had to draw on a student? Yes, twice. different students, separate incidents. It required no words for them to quickly change muzzle directions.
How you handle this infraction in public is up to you and I fully understand NOT making a big scene, but it has to be mentioned. Muzzling someone may be a mindless accident and unintended, but the offender needs to be reminded of why we don't point at things we don't want to destroy, even with an unloaded weapon.
One extreme occasion comes to mind. At an indoor range I was instructing an NRA Personal Protection in the Home course when I looked to my left and saw a shooter place a LOADED magazine in a Beretta 92 at the back counter (out of the booth) and then proceed to muzzle me (not intentionally, he was looking at the gun the entire time). It followed me as if "locked on target" no matter where I moved. I tried the "Hey, hey, hey MUZZLE!!" route by he was obivious. I made a quick and decisive move to his side and literally snatched the gun out of his hand. Needless to say he was suprised and then angry as I walked off the range with his gun to the counter in the gunshop where I handed it over to the range owner and explained the situation. The range owner told the shooter if I did what I did I had a damn good reason and to collect his stuff and not come back.

We should not tolerate unsafe gun handling from anyone, myself included.

Mr.1904
04-29-2012, 8:13 AM
They need a 'duck' emoticon here. But that's generally what i do, get out of the way. If they notice i give them a look like 'Really?'. Most people pick up on the uncomfortableness of the situation.

Sheperd80
04-29-2012, 8:49 AM
"Pointing a gun at me, loaded or unloaded, will be hazardous to your health the next time it happens."

+1 lol.

This hasnt happened to me at a gunstore but if it did id probably use my usual tactic of slyly working it into the conversation i.e "i really need to teach my kid about gun safety he always points empty guns in unsafe places like a rookie."

If ur delivery is smooth enough itll take em a second to realize u were talking about him and then he'll feel stupid. :)

gef
04-29-2012, 9:17 AM
I'm much more concerned at the range than at the local gun store. I know that being swept at the range the weapon is most likely hot, but not so much at the store. Most stores are not that large and people seem to walk right in front of you at the wrong time. At the gun store I always check the weapon even though the clerk has checked it before giving it to me.

Fishslayer
04-29-2012, 9:18 AM
I've used this a few times... "Mind not pointing your weapon at my wife? I'm not done with her yet.";)

I must hang out at the right gun shops. Off the top of my head a can't really recall an employee doing anything unsafe.

At the range, definitely. Why guys think it's a big deal to lock the slide back when behind the line is a mystery to me. Then when they sweep me they wonder why I get a bit disturbed. :confused:

g_conway
04-29-2012, 9:44 AM
Depends on how blatant or how often.
if it's rare, or just slightly swept, I usually won't say anything.
If it is a serious sweep, or is happening a lot, then yes I will.

I am ALWAYS polite on the first notification, if it happens again I make it a "final warning" tone of voice. I have no problem bringing an RSO into it after that.

Press Check
04-29-2012, 11:52 AM
There is NO excuse for "accidentially" muzzling someone in a controlled environment (read: gun store or range)
Rule One: Consider all guns loaded (Read: Treat them as if they are loaded, handle accordingly) Rule Two: Don't cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
I've been "Black Holed" or muzzled many times by people, when advised they were violating one or more safety rules I get...."but it's unloaded" as if that was an excuse for lax gun safety. The so called UN-loaded gun kills or wounds a lot of Americans every year. We MUST adhere to the safety rules to reinforce proper gun handling behaviors.

Anyone that has taken a class from me will tell you that my standard safety brief includes the statement "If you point a gun at me, I will point one back at you. Yours maybe unloaded, mine is loaded. So let's not put this issue to the test, keep your muzzles in the indicated safe direction(s). Have I had to draw on a student? Yes, twice. different students, separate incidents. It required no words for them to quickly change muzzle directions.
How you handle this infraction in public is up to you and I fully understand NOT making a big scene, but it has to be mentioned. Muzzling someone may be a mindless accident and unintended, but the offender needs to be reminded of why we don't point at things we don't want to destroy, even with an unloaded weapon.
One extreme occasion comes to mind. At an indoor range I was instructing an NRA Personal Protection in the Home course when I looked to my left and saw a shooter place a LOADED magazine in a Beretta 92 at the back counter (out of the booth) and then proceed to muzzle me (not intentionally, he was looking at the gun the entire time). It followed me as if "locked on target" no matter where I moved. I tried the "Hey, hey, hey MUZZLE!!" route by he was obivious. I made a quick and decisive move to his side and literally snatched the gun out of his hand. Needless to say he was suprised and then angry as I walked off the range with his gun to the counter in the gunshop where I handed it over to the range owner and explained the situation. The range owner told the shooter if I did what I did I had a damn good reason and to collect his stuff and not come back.

We should not tolerate unsafe gun handling from anyone, myself included.

+1.

Press Check
04-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Got muzzled by an FFL that works out of his home as he was handing me a handgun.
I was sitting and he was standing and it was a small room. Shocked the heck out of me that he would be so careless. On top of that, he didn't check the weapon either.
I guess working alone, with no employees, he knows the guns in his home are not loaded, but I sure don't!
I was so shocked by his careless handling that I didn't say anything, which was rare for me. I should have spoke up.

Pretty sure I know exactly who you're talking about, LOL.

-hanko
04-29-2012, 2:53 PM

Wtf?!

WHICH gun store?

Wtf?!

What do you do when you read yet another gun store horror story where the store isn't named? Try saving a brother calguns.net member the same crap you endured.

Otherwise, cool story.;)

-hanko

Hopy
04-29-2012, 3:01 PM
Nothing a quick pistol whipping won't cure;)

Capybara
04-29-2012, 3:11 PM
I was at the Ventura Gun show yesterday. One of the vendors had all of his guns laid out on tables on top of their shipping boxes. The way he had his tables setup in a "U" shape around his chair in the center, it was pretty much impossible to pick up the guns and look at them without muzzle sweeping him and the entire area around him, even if you picked up the gun and immediately pointed it at the ground or the ceiling.

But it was a gun show, all of the actions where open, zip ties in place, so I guess that was okay? Still made me nervous, this was about 100 feet away from Miwall with hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammo out in cans. It was kind of cool that the guy had all his guns out on the tables and you could pick them up and check them out, but probably not a great idea safety-wise.

Turo
04-29-2012, 3:14 PM
Usually a "Hey watch it!" when it's unintentional (99% of the time it is). I can't say I've ever had a gun pointed at me intentionally, but it would most likely be met with pushing the muzzle away or ducking/moving out of the line of sight before letting the person know I don't tolerate that kind of idiocy.

Shenaniguns
04-29-2012, 3:38 PM
I do say something at a range or during training.

sapro
04-29-2012, 4:12 PM
Since you asked I will tell. It was at the Stockade about 2 months ago.

Great input and love everyone's story.

Todosi
04-30-2012, 10:54 AM
My immediate response is generally to sidestep and physically move the weapon so that it is pointed in a safe direction. If you have had rounds fired at and near you, you know there is NEVER an excuse for that at the range. At a gun store without a range, or at SHOT show, there has to be a little relaxation. Anywhere there are potentially hot weapons, I am, to say the least, not polite about it.

Norcalkid
04-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Last time I was at Oroville some dip ****(fully decked out in fatigues) was loading his guns sideways on the bench while pointed at me. I said F this and left the range and joined a well run private club. Took a RSO class and do my best to insure this stupidity doesn't happen at the club on my watch.

scarville
04-30-2012, 11:48 AM
But it was a gun show, all of the actions where open, zip ties in place, so I guess that was okay?
That's a good question. If the rules to always treat the gun as if is was loaded and never point it at something you do not intend to shoot are strictly applied then no. Even if the gun is rendered incapable of discharging you must still treat as is it might go off. However if you read enough of these kinds of threads you will find all kinds of exceptions the those rules. Like when cleaning the gun or loading it or dry-firing.

Grant Cunningham has written a few posts on the subject because he thinks the exceptions are so commonplace they lead to shoddy behavior.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/01cd852e1047ef52554640508d2bf118-258.html

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/aa213aec2d5edfdba42c5431726fa4a4-951.html#unique-entry-id-951

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/e438b8f5b7e8697e714f6f7415d9ee39-978.html

I also noticed that the NRA doesn't use those two rules either.

http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp

Bug Splat
04-30-2012, 12:32 PM
If in a gun store and someone in arms length sweeps me or anyone I will gently grab the muzzle and move it away from myself or anyone they are pointing at. I always smile and politely says "remember a firearm is always loaded". A physical reminder is going to stick far better than a verbal warning.

Was shooting one day at a pistol range and noticed a neighbor of mine with some friends walk up to the line with a couple rented pistol. He is a huge drunk the meth head and I could tell he was high. I left my gear and walk out as quick as I could. Informed the RO's of this guy and told them to watch him every second. Sure enough without even one bullet downrange they are screwing around pretending to shoot each other and pointing at everyone else down the line. 3 employees rush in with hands on their pistols ready to draw and take their LOADED guns away. They are kicked out with only a bit of yelling. That neighbor is now homeless on the streets living with his 18yo son (also meth head) and had his other 2 kids taken away.

I actually believe you should have your HSC before you can rent a gun. Went up to Target Masters and was just scared to death of all these untrained renters walking around with pistols sweeping everyone. They really need to change the layout of that place.

Liberty Customs
04-30-2012, 12:38 PM
I had a guy in a shop looking at a Mosin Nagant literally turn and use my face for his sight picture, and the salesperson didn't seem to care either. I was speechless and really pissed, so I just had to leave.

Common
04-30-2012, 1:44 PM
"If you point a gun at me, I will point one back at you. Yours maybe unloaded, mine is loaded. So let's not put this issue to the test, keep your muzzles in the indicated safe direction(s). Have I had to draw on a student? Yes, twice. different students, separate incidents. It required no words for them to quickly change muzzle directions.

Really, you intentionally pointed a loaded weapon at someone? Did you intend to destroy them? I guess the rules don't apply to instructors.

Go ahead and reply with lame reasons why pointing a gun was a training moment for the student and how you were doing them a favor. You get negative man points.

hornswaggled
04-30-2012, 2:09 PM
I blade my body and dodge. If the person tracks me I will yell at them.

Sweeping someone pretty much violates all four rules of safe gun handling.

hornswaggled
04-30-2012, 2:14 PM
^^ assuming they have their finger on the trigger too

sapro
04-30-2012, 5:00 PM
Agreed.

When it comes to gun handling and gun laws I like to think in absolute terms. Why dance in the grey area?

Its ALWAYS loaded, point the muzzle and/or press the trigger at only things I don't mind destroying.

If you treat the weapon that way there's no 2nd guessing.

Also, if you're on the business end of the muzzle you will have an instinctive defensive reaction and side step. You're situational awareness (SA) will be high.

Why do you want to add a step in your decision making process? (hmmm...since I'm at a gun store/show the gun must be empty, it must be okay/safe to muzzle or be muzzled). Try having someone point a pistol at you, slide locked back, zip tie thru it, and report back here on how it makes you feel.

That's a good question. If the rules to always treat the gun as if is was loaded and never point it at something you do not intend to shoot are strictly applied then no. Even if the gun is rendered incapable of discharging you must still treat as is it might go off. However if you read enough of these kinds of threads you will find all kinds of exceptions the those rules. Like when cleaning the gun or loading it or dry-firing.

Grant Cunningham has written a few posts on the subject because he thinks the exceptions are so commonplace they lead to shoddy behavior.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/01cd852e1047ef52554640508d2bf118-258.html

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/aa213aec2d5edfdba42c5431726fa4a4-951.html#unique-entry-id-951

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/e438b8f5b7e8697e714f6f7415d9ee39-978.html

I also noticed that the NRA doesn't use those two rules either.

http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp

scarville
04-30-2012, 7:57 PM
Agreed.

When it comes to gun handling and gun laws I like to think in absolute terms. Why dance in the grey area?

Its ALWAYS loaded, point the muzzle and/or press the trigger at only things I don't mind destroying..

How do you clean a loaded gun?

sapro
05-01-2012, 6:23 AM
How do you clean a loaded gun?

I don't.

scarville
05-01-2012, 8:17 AM
I don't.
Then, if you do clean your guns (and you may one of those who don't), then obviously your guns not "ALWAYS loaded" and you are playing a make believe game when you say they are. This is part of the point that Grant Cunnignham, Georges Rahbani, and a few other I'd have to look up are trying to make: Creating a "universal" rule ("ALWAYS loaded") that is clearly not universal encourages the seeking of exemptions which leads to dangerous behavior.

sapro
05-01-2012, 8:37 AM
Then, if you do clean your guns (and you may one of those who don't), then obviously your guns not "ALWAYS loaded" and you are playing a make believe game when you say they are. This is part of the point that Grant Cunnignham, Georges Rahbani, and a few other I'd have to look up are trying to make: Creating a "universal" rule ("ALWAYS loaded") that is clearly not universal encourages the seeking of exemptions which leads to dangerous behavior.

I don't know what you're talking about, but when I do clean my guns I chamber check and mag check to ensure there's no rounds in the chamber and its mag free, then clean them treating them as if they are loaded and with that I muzzle only what I am okay with destroying the entire time I clean them.

CAglock20c
05-01-2012, 5:26 PM
i punch them square in the dome and tell em "dont you ever do that again"

chrisf
05-01-2012, 5:57 PM
If its a accidental (ignorant) muzzle sweep, Ill try to inform them. If they just blatantly keep doing it, After being told numerous times. I will tell them if they do it again I will take fire and blow there hand off. :44:

bill_k_lopez
05-01-2012, 6:17 PM
Good practice to always treat a weapon like its loaded, I believe a question on our hsc test, even in a gun store.

Thanks for the correction on sweep vs swipe. Couldn't remember the word. "I hate being muzzle swept" (past tense)?

"Treat all guns as if they are loaded. Always assume that a gun is loaded even if you think it is unloaded."

Personally I could care less in a gun store. I think people make a big deal out of it to show how "superior" they are to others. Ducking and over exagerating their responses.

The gun at the store is stored unloaded, handed over to you by the employee who physically checks the weapon before he hands it to you - so, you're afraid that a magic bullet jumped in somewhere in between? I mean - whatever? I'm more concerned with ranges, especially indoor ranges - part of the reason I don't like going to them.

dem0critus
05-02-2012, 12:51 AM
Lol I love that some people here claim to respond to a weapon being pointed at them accidentally with threats and intentionally pointing a weapon back.... Sounds like a nice, safe, and constructive way to deal with a problem. :49:

keenkeen
05-02-2012, 6:31 AM
Lol I love that some people here claim to respond to a weapon being pointed at them accidentally with threats and intentionally pointing a weapon back.... Sounds like a nice, safe, and constructive way to deal with a problem. :49:

Don't worry...

Those posts are just a bunch of "Internet tough-guy" BS...

Pretty common here on Calguns.
:sleeping:

sapro
05-02-2012, 12:22 PM
To those that believe all guns in all gun stores are always unloaded let me muzzle you and dry fire at you. Then give me your honest assessment on how that made you feel.

Agreed, some responses claimed here are exaggerated but I'm almost certain you won't appreciate it and feel 100% comfortable with it.

stix213
05-02-2012, 1:26 PM
Sometimes I call them on it, sometimes I don't. I really get pissed if I see their finger on the trigger while they do it.

hornswaggled
05-02-2012, 1:54 PM
Being in a gun store does NOT turn a gun safe the minute it crosses the threshold. What part of "treat all guns as if they are loaded" don't people understand? Most ADs and NDs are because someone KNEW dead-to-rights that a gun was unloaded.

"OMG I swore it was unloaded!" being the mating call of the guy who just sent a round through the cash register ala Dale Gribble. What's the reason NOT to err on the side of caution? Is it just convenient to muzzle and dry fire at other people? Good lord.

xpbprox
05-02-2012, 1:56 PM
This thread reminds me of this video

oHsX7STHqNg

fpeel
05-02-2012, 2:11 PM
I try to stay away from ranges and gun shops during their busiest hours. It helps me avoid the kinds of situations being discussed here. Hard to be swept when there's no one else around! By following this rule of thumb I generally get better service from the shops and find my range time to be more enjoyable and productive.

Some places, like Target Masters, I completely avoid because of the shenanigans that go on. (Don't care for some of their business practices either, so they're an easy target.)

tacticalcity
05-02-2012, 2:24 PM
Depends on my mood!

This..and the situation.

Tiberius
05-02-2012, 3:06 PM
I usually scream "DON'T TASE ME, BRO!" and then drop to ground and writhe as if tased.

Lumpia is sarap!
05-02-2012, 3:11 PM
No muzzle discipline is an accident waiting to happen.

I don't care if it's at a show, range or home...I'm extreme yes I know.

dem0critus
05-02-2012, 3:46 PM
I usually scream "DON'T TASE ME, BRO!" and then drop to ground and writhe as if tased.

LOL

DON'T SWEEP ME BRO!!!

xpbprox
05-02-2012, 4:07 PM
Or I say

Come at me BRO!

CAglock20c
05-02-2012, 5:17 PM
lol "COME AT ME BRO!" perfect LOL

Allentu
05-02-2012, 5:41 PM
If a person isnt responsible enough to clear his firearm themselves and be able to maintain a mindset that it is ALWAYS loaded, then they shouldnt even be allowed to have one. It bugs me when i hand someone a firearm and they put their finger on the trigger or wave it around like its a toy

kb58
05-02-2012, 6:22 PM
If a person isnt responsible enough to clear his firearm themselves and be able to maintain a mindset that it is ALWAYS loaded, then they shouldnt even be allowed to have one...
I agree with you in principal, but someone's going to correct you and say that "no, everyone has a right to bear arms..."

For this thread, I never point a firearm at anyone - ever. It's like waving a knife at someone from a distance and saying "don't worry, I can't cut you from here." Yeah, but it speaks volumes about their mindset.

I take the middle ground where if someone checks a firearm and hands it to me, and I check that it's empty, gezzus guys, it's empty. If you can't trust your own brain to remember that for the 30-seconds you handling it (and not pointing it at people) then put it down and sell all your guns. I agree that universal rules are by definition, wrong.

CAHighSierra
05-02-2012, 9:16 PM
If its a accidental (ignorant) muzzle sweep, Ill try to inform them. If they just blatantly keep doing it, After being told numerous times. I will tell them if they do it again I will take fire and blow there hand off. :44:

Woah, people with this mindset are a BIG part of the problem.

five.five-six
05-02-2012, 9:22 PM
yes, always .. it's my responsibility to teach.....not to be right .. to teach

San FranPsycho
05-02-2012, 10:36 PM
NEVER point a gun at someone, even if the slide is locked open and you can see that the gun is empty.

This

Vanguard
05-03-2012, 10:38 PM
You should have asked the guy to see another gun, then when he's handing it to you, never grasp it and let it fall on the ground. Then say "oh #$@$...good thing that wasn't loaded" Then turn around and walk out.

IntoForever
05-03-2012, 11:01 PM
I always get looked at funny when someone walks in front of my muzzle and I drop it down so I don't muzzle them.
I did that once and the employee said "That's OK, it's not loaded". :facepalm:
When swept by employees I ask them "Are you new???":mad:

RickRyder
05-04-2012, 7:57 AM
It's happened to me a few times, I don't get an attitude, but I do throw my hands in the air and jump out of the way and go "WHOA!!!" Kind of in a comical way, but everyone I have reacted that way to has ended up feeling pretty foolish, I think that will last in their memory longer than throwing a fit...

VMCJ-3
05-04-2012, 10:19 AM
NEVER let your guard down just because you are at a LGS or Gun Show. Just in the last couple of years, there have been 2 N/D's in 2 different LGS here in the I.E. and 1 N/D at the Costa Mesa show.

drunktank
05-04-2012, 12:09 PM
I let them know loudly that they just muzzle swept me and to not do it again. Has worked every time. Usually happens at Bass Pro Shops or Turners, but hasn't happened to me in over a year, thankfully.

sapro
05-05-2012, 12:05 PM
I think if this thread can change at least one person's mind about weapon handling discipline we might be making a difference.

JUm3
05-05-2012, 8:33 PM
Not in a gun store.. but I freeakin hate target masters in milpitas with a passion... they let anyone shoot and they sweep all the tome. Hey finally make new shooters watch some BS video and I see teenage girls text and ignore it.