PDA

View Full Version : Looking for my first Single Action Army

Sarde
04-28-2012, 8:22 PM
I am looking to buy my first single action army. I have narrowed my selection down to a SAA clone with:
-5.5" barrel
-Case hardened
-.357mag.
-No transfer bar (sorry Ruger)
-Not too pricey (sorry Colt and USFA)
-Not too cheap (uberti?)
-coil springs?

Does anyone know of a gun store that has a few different brands in stock I could check out? I am in the south bay (Los Angeles).

Also, do you guys have any recommendations? I have tried to read (online) all about (which is not much) Cimarrons, EMF, and Taylor's but that has amounted to a hill of beans.

Hopefully,
Shooting in the West

ElvenSoul
04-28-2012, 8:35 PM
Whats your price range?

orangeusa
04-28-2012, 8:39 PM
I have a Beretta (Uberti) Stampede and it has the transfer bar. What a fun gun and delightful trigger. The most beautiful gun I own.

I used to have a Ruger OM Single Six w/o transfer bar. Never bothered me.

Why the hate for the transfer bar?

EDIT: Another point - you are so right to stay with .357. Mine is .45 LC and $$$$ to shoot.... :)

tdyoung1958
04-28-2012, 8:47 PM
I wouldn't consider Uberti "cheap" they are well built just inexpensive

I have one in 45lc and love it

SnWnMe
04-28-2012, 8:51 PM
EDIT: Another point - you are so right to stay with .357. Mine is .45 LC and $$$$ to shoot.... :)

Blasphemy! :chris:

orangeusa
04-28-2012, 9:02 PM
Blasphemy! :chris:

Hey - I didn't say I was gonna sell it and buy a .357. But at $1+ a round, something to think about... hahaha
And yes, what would Ben Cartwright do? (buy a .45 lc..)

Lead Waster
04-28-2012, 9:20 PM
I would prefer the transfer bar. A real saa is safer with an empty chamber to rest the hammer on. With the transfer bar, you can load all 6. Maybe this is FUD.

SnWnMe
04-28-2012, 9:35 PM
Hey - I didn't say I was gonna sell it and buy a .357. But at $1+ a round, something to think about... hahaha
And yes, what would Ben Cartwright do? (buy a .45 lc..)

Heh. I'm handloading a batch right now. I hear ya about the factory ammo price though.

I would prefer the transfer bar. A real saa is safer with an empty chamber to rest the hammer on. With the transfer bar, you can load all 6. Maybe this is FUD.

Yes you can load all 6 chambers in transfer bar equipped SAA clones. When the hammer is at rest it does not make contact with the frame mounted firing pin nor the cartridge. Only the actuation of the trigger will raise the transfer bar to "bridge" the connection between the hammer and the firing pin.

sfbay
04-29-2012, 10:11 AM
I've got seven Rugers and love them... Two of them are the older ones with no transfer bar. I haven't had them changed, but no big deal....

Sarde
04-29-2012, 7:52 PM
I currently don't reload; otherwise I would be asking about .45 or 44-40's. So in the meantime Ill stick with .357, not as original but very functional.

I will also carry with 5 chambers loaded and the hammer down on the empty chamber (cowboy safety). That is how all cowboy shooting sports go anyway (no matter if you have a ruger that is safe with 6-up carry). Plus I hear that the rugers load differently. You have the hammer down on them when you open the loading gate. Compared to the original colt where you place the hammer at half cock, then open the loading gate. I guess I want historical operation, but not caliber ;)

Thanks for the comments.

orangeusa
04-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Rugers - Cylinder is locked unless you go have hammer on 1/4 or 1/2 cock ...
The early OM rugers have 4 clicks, later 3 clicks, but still need to go to 1/4 (1/2) cock... I could be describing this wrong, but my OM ruger Single Six was this way.

Plus I hear that the rugers load differently. You have the hammer down on them when you open the loading gate. Compared to the original colt where you place the hammer at half cock, then open the loading gate. I guess I want historical operation, but not caliber ;)
Thanks for the comments.

Sarde
04-30-2012, 1:37 PM
Rugers - Cylinder is locked unless you go have hammer on 1/4 or 1/2 cock ...
The early OM rugers have 4 clicks, later 3 clicks, but still need to go to 1/4 (1/2) cock... I could be describing this wrong, but my OM ruger Single Six was this way.

I know the new vaqueros can only open the loading gate with the hammer down. It seems that reading on the interwebs doesn't tell the whole story always.

I have a Beretta (Uberti)
Why the hate for the transfer bar?

There is no hate, just having only shot and owned transfer bar revolvers, something from a bygone era when things were done differently just sounds appealing.

TheFlash
04-30-2012, 5:45 PM
I have one of the new model Vaqueros (an old model, too) both in .45LC. My new model Vaquero has the case colored finish on it and I've never had any issues with it. But, what's best is that the revolvers shoots exactly to point of aim!
I can set up a target at 15yds and completely shoot out the entire bullseye! I'm no 'Hawkeye' by any stretch of the imagination, but that Vaquero can seriously shoot accurately. And, with 250gr bullets, I also get my POI to POA at 25yds.
So, I give a thumbs-up to Ruger Vaqueros...

And yes, they are transfer bar revolvers, but I have not actually shot the 'traditional' style revolvers.
Do hope to get a Colt New Frontier someday...

Regards,
Mike

Army
04-30-2012, 6:43 PM
Cimarron is good. As close to a Colt as an affordable clone can be. I've two in .357. Quite happy with both.

Look at US Firearms too. Excellent guns, and a few models are competitive in price.