PDA

View Full Version : Mainspring Housing With Magwell

The1stWright
04-28-2012, 2:59 PM
I'm looking for a mainspring housing with an extended magwell for my springfield loaded 1911. Is this part drop in? What's a good to buy?

Brandon04GT
04-28-2012, 3:52 PM
The S&A one-piece one seems like a good choice. I think it's also what Springfield uses on their Professional 1911s.

littlejake
04-28-2012, 4:24 PM
I like the Ed Brown drop in Maxi-well parts. Bottom of page.

http://www.edbrown.com/cgi/htmlos.cgi/03100.3.496054891363215169

Bee22
04-28-2012, 5:04 PM
Have the Ed Brown. Very easy to install. Don't forget to order Magwell grips.

MA2
04-28-2012, 6:57 PM
+1 on Smith & Alexander, it's the only one that will be 1-piece that is checkered all the way down.
EGW & Fusion are good as well, for less cash.

Oh, since yours is a Springfield, don't forget to buy a standard, mainspring, cap, and pin.

Chief-7700
04-28-2012, 7:41 PM
With a magwell you have to use mags with bumper's

Press Check
04-28-2012, 8:16 PM
For a Springfield, I'd send it to SACS and have them install their custom version of the Smith & Alexander magazine guide.

NiteQwill
04-28-2012, 8:49 PM
For a Springfield, I'd send it to SACS and have them install their custom version of the Smith & Alexander magazine guide.

Correct. Not to mention that SACS will install the S&A for the price that you buy it from S&A. The only downside is the shipping. Call/email Deb for the cheapest price to-and-from.

Press Check
04-28-2012, 9:18 PM
Correct. Not to mention that SACS will install the S&A for the price that you buy it from S&A. The only downside is the shipping. Call/email Deb for the cheapest price to-and-from.

That sounds close, but I paid $180, and since Springfield orders the magazine guides as complete blanks from S&A, the bulk of that cost is associated with fitment, blending, checkering and refinishing. Overall, a square deal, and definitely worth it.

NiteQwill
04-28-2012, 9:36 PM
http://www.sk8ng.com/dusty/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/SA-Magwell.jpg
http://www.sk8ng.com/dusty/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/SA-Operator-5.JPG

Press Check
04-28-2012, 9:41 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/2qkqd78.jpg

1911Luvr
04-29-2012, 3:57 PM

According to S&A, Springfield uses the standard 20lpi magwell they make. It drops in. Now if you want it blended, that is an additional fee but it has a much better look when done. If you are in the Inland Empire, just take it to Will O'Hara in Corona- he does incredible work!

Lead Waster
04-30-2012, 1:25 PM
I went super-mega-ghetto and got the Wilson clip-on, under my rubber hogue grips. Works well. Looks ... meh. But I'm all for cheap but functional. Even that clip on makes reloads faster (for stuff like USPSA).

Press Check
04-30-2012, 8:27 PM
According to S&A, Springfield uses the standard 20lpi magwell they make. It drops in. Now if you want it blended, that is an additional fee but it has a much better look when done. If you are in the Inland Empire, just take it to Will O'Hara in Corona- he does incredible work!

Actually, Springfield orders blanks from Smith & Alexander magazine guide, which do not have checkering, and are slightly oversized at the base. Following fitment and blending, they will machine checker the magazine guide at 20LPI or 25LPI to match the front strap checkering, assuming your front strap is in fact checkered.

Alternatively, Springfield will in fact fit and blend a customer-supplied, off-the-shelf version of the Smith & Alexander magazine guide, but there will still be a notable gap between the frame and magazine guide. Also, that version features 20LPI checkering that is cast in the magazine guide, not machined, which is a substantial difference.

1911Luvr
04-30-2012, 9:39 PM
Actually, Springfield orders blanks from Smith & Alexander magazine guide, which do not have checkering, and are slightly oversized at the base. Following fitment and blending, they will machine checker the magazine guide at 20LPI or 25LPI to match the front strap checkering, assuming your front strap is in fact checkered.

Alternatively, Springfield will in fact fit and blend a customer-supplied, off-the-shelf version of the Smith & Alexander magazine guide, but there will still be a notable gap between the frame and magazine guide. Also, that version features 20LPI checkering that is cast in the magazine guide, not machined, which is a substantial difference.

That may be correct, but that is not what I was told when I ordered mine directly from S&A. I wanted a blank- completely smooth and no mainspring housing pin hole, but she told me I had to wait for a new production run as all they had were ones for Springfield that were pre-checkered 20lpi and had the mainspring housing pin drilled. I'm guessing that means SA buys multiple versions of the part depending on level of firearm- drop-in for cheaper models and blanks for Custom Shop or Pro model. Unless of course she was just feeding me a line...

BTW, I never ended up using mine so anyone who wants a blank without waiting, PM me.