PDA

View Full Version : Loading Magazines....

thatryan
04-28-2012, 2:52 PM
So I guess I am pretty much fail...?

As I have posted elsewhere, awaiting my first handgun Glock 17, gen 3, to get released on Monday, in anticipation and practice, I bought a magazine and 10 snap caps.

I can not load that damn thing!

I mean, wtf, it kills my fingers, and after STRUGGLING to get 6 rounds in I had to step away.

I know I am weak, ( I have a type of muscular dystrophy ) but am curious if it gets easier, springs loosen, get used to it... anything?

Thanks.

Steph
04-28-2012, 2:53 PM
UpLuLa....get one, your fingers will thank you.

paintballdad
04-28-2012, 2:55 PM
^UpLuLa FTW!

tradecraft
04-28-2012, 2:58 PM
I have shown my UpLULA to many shooters and 100% of them have gone out to buy one after trying it out.

corcoraj2002
04-28-2012, 3:03 PM
They will loosen up a little but uplula is the way to go. I use one if I bring a couple of guns or people to the range to speed up loading. One uplula will cover all major handgun calibers.

Kyle1886
04-28-2012, 3:03 PM
UpLULA as the wise folks stated---money well spent.

Yes, they will loosen some. Whenever I get new mags, I load them up and let them sit for a bit. There have been a couple of times that 10th round just would not go. After sitting a while loaded, it fit.

Enjoy your weapon, stay safe
Respectfully
Kyle

corcoraj2002
04-28-2012, 3:06 PM
Just a point leaving a spring compressed or uncompressed will not cause it to loosen, you need to cycle the spring. Use a uplula for a while and try to manually load after a while.

HondaMasterTech
04-28-2012, 3:08 PM
Don't worry. Every new Glock comes with a magazine speed loader. Extremely simple design, easy to use and makes loading your magazines super easy. You won't have to struggle to load the magazines, trust me.

thatryan
04-28-2012, 3:23 PM
Thanks all, appreciate it.

Also, what the heck is an UpLuLa :) Google took me here, this the thing?
http://www.maglula.com/

Sundowner
04-28-2012, 3:28 PM
Yes, click the Pistol Mag Loaders box.

xpbprox
04-28-2012, 3:30 PM
Just a point leaving a spring compressed or uncompressed will not cause it to loosen, you need to cycle the spring. Use a uplula for a while and try to manually load after a while.

That's funny every time I break in my mags I just load full them as much as I can once and voila the next week they are easy to load and I can fit that 17th round in!

04-28-2012, 3:36 PM
They will loosen up after about a week sitting fully loaded.
I did it and it works!

hyperion.excal
04-28-2012, 3:42 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Butler-Creek-Universal-Pistol-Loader/dp/B001HBHNHE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335656282&sr=8-1

price went up i got mine for $20 but this is still a good deal considering it will morethan pay off in the long

Cactus_Tim
04-28-2012, 3:54 PM
I haven't used the one that came with my pistol since I bought the UPLULA.
It works great. I use it all the time.
Got mine on sale at Turner's a while back for the same price as on Amazon.

thatryan
04-28-2012, 4:11 PM
Awesome, ordering one from amazon now :)

Cathead_Fred
04-28-2012, 4:18 PM
UpLULA is a beautiful thing!!

drifter001
04-28-2012, 4:21 PM
GET AN UPLULA!!!!! GREATEST INVENTION EVER!!

SnWnMe
04-28-2012, 4:24 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=565819

enzo357
04-28-2012, 4:29 PM
My friends all called me weak names when I bought my uplula. They all have uplulas now.

cdnpuck
04-28-2012, 4:41 PM
I bought a new 3 Glock 17 a couple of months ago and thought the same thing. The factory Glock magazine loader works fine and the springs loosen up a lot after use. (I have put about 600-700 rounds through it) BTW, I love the gun and I'm sure you will too!

415dog!
04-28-2012, 6:43 PM
Get some triacktin

bohoki
04-28-2012, 7:05 PM
i use the glock tool and kind of slap the baseplate on my palm and the rounds go down let inertia be you ally not your menace

HighLander51
04-28-2012, 7:25 PM
10 round Glock mags suck, but you push the last round down with your left thumb while inserting the new round with your right hand. You don't need a lululapalooza thingy. Leave them loaded for awhile, they will get easier. And for practice, just load 9 rounds, it's alot easier to seat the mag.

Kodemonkey
04-28-2012, 7:32 PM
Uplula. If John Moses Browning designed a speedloader, it would have been the Uplula.

You think Glock Mags suck, try an M&P 10 rounder. Those mags should come with a hydraulic press.

coy80176
04-28-2012, 8:21 PM
...it will also become useful in pressing the slide release

Lead Waster
04-28-2012, 8:23 PM
Hey did anyone mention the ... Oh, OK :)

thatryan
04-28-2012, 8:45 PM
Hahahahaha, I was thinking of the same thread. I wonder what that guy thinks of this guy.

yeah yeah yeah I'm a girl... ;)

BrassCase
04-28-2012, 10:43 PM
My son bought one and then I did from J & R. $34.95+ tax. My Beretta mag wasn't easy but my CZ mag was worse.

HappyG
04-29-2012, 1:18 AM
What a bunch of grandpas. :oji: I kid I Kid.

LoL. There's also technique involved with each different magazine. The mag-loaders work well and should be part of your shooting gear if you have difficulty loading them to full capacity. New mags are ubiquitously known for their stiff springs. Better stiff than limp...

g_conway
04-29-2012, 9:58 AM
Aside from the obvious agreement with the uplula...

Double stack mags can be harder to load than a single.

The things that can make manual loading easier depend on initial position of the cart. at the start of the load. one hand .vs two hand load. Understanding of roll vs. push.

Unfortunatly they can be very hard to explain in writing.
Find a GOOD teacher at your range and have them show you all three, NOT just the one they prefer. I use the two hand "thumb Roll, push down- other hand slide; but I have seen others do eack of the other methods without any issues.

Good luck.

Mr. Gillious
04-29-2012, 10:32 AM
the more you load and use your mags the better they'll be broken in. I preferably don't use uplula or any other mag loader and am kinda against it.

I started shooting single stack 1911 and got so used to loading mags that i'm actually faster loading it by hand than with a speedloader.

same with my cz which is doublestack. i suggest you don't get a speedloader and you keep practicing loading. if you think you're weak, all these people saying you need an uplula is basically saying you're handicapped. all you need is practice practice and you'll develop a technique that will make you load pistol mags faster. you'll also develop calloused thumbs which is a good thing

quig
04-29-2012, 9:15 PM
the more you load and use your mags the better they'll be broken in. I preferably don't use uplula or any other mag loader and am kinda against it.

I started shooting single stack 1911 and got so used to loading mags that i'm actually faster loading it by hand than with a speedloader.

same with my cz which is doublestack. i suggest you don't get a speedloader and you keep practicing loading. if you think you're weak, all these people saying you need an uplula is basically saying you're handicapped. all you need is practice practice and you'll develop a technique that will make you load pistol mags faster. you'll also develop calloused thumbs which is a good thing

My thoughts exactly.

If you lose or misplace your loader, what do you do then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bug Splat
04-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Here I was ready to jump in with the classic noob initiation joke about being a wussy and then I read you have muscular dystrophy. Now I feel like a total douche just for thinking about it. :(

Trust me when I say its completely normal for new glocks especially the 10rd mags. Not sure why but the 10rd mags are much harder to load. I was not able to fill up the mags either on my G17 which happened to be my first pistol. It will get easier and with the use of a Uplula you can save your thumbs from years of torture.

BrassCase
04-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Well, c'mon now. I can fully load both my 10 round mags from Beretta and CZ and do it faster than I can with my uplula. #10 is hard in the Beretta and very hard in the CZ. I tend to shoot 150 to 200 rounds in whatever pistol I go to the range with. After about 70 rounds my thumb gets tired and I start using the loader. What's so wrong with that? I just bought the Uplula last month.

It's kind of like this: I go to jack up a car, I can use the jack that came with the car and work hard or I can get my floor jack out and do it with little effort, so why wouldn't I use the floor jack? What, just because if I get a flat I won't have my floor jack and I would have to use the jack that ame with the car! The reasoning for not using a loader doesn't make sense.

thatryan
04-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Here I was ready to jump in with the classic noob initiation joke about being a wussy and then I read you have muscular dystrophy. Now I feel like a total douche just for thinking about it. :(

:) No worries man, I was anticipating much more noob jokes anyways, kinda figured it was me but happy to see it is not, entirely :D

Louislee6
04-30-2012, 1:39 AM
OP I think you can take a basic handgun class offered at those ranges and learn how to load the magazine. It could be difficult if you are using the wrong way though. But it gets tough when you reach the..err 6th round? I just picked up my Glock 19 last Thursday and tried to load 10 dummy with my hands. Thumb felt bad after that.....Anybody told you to buy a UPLULA??

CnCFunFactory
04-30-2012, 3:01 AM
Been shooting for 20+ years, own 4 Glocks. Never had a mag loader, don't see myself ever having one. YMMV.;)

SoCalSig1911
04-30-2012, 8:16 AM
Since the Uplula was mentioned here 1 or 2 times i thought i would pick one up as well! It'll be nice to load mags faster at the range and also when i bring fiends i usually have to load their mags and this way i can show them how the mag loader works and they can do it themselves. You definitely keep practicing loading up the mags even after you have the loader, you never know when you'll need to laod up a mag and the Uplula won't be there ;)

CBruce
04-30-2012, 8:31 AM
My thoughts exactly.

If you lose or misplace your loader, what do you do then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Then you load your magazines slower and with a great deal more discomfort until you can find/replace it?

hammerhands32
04-30-2012, 8:35 AM
Get a revolver, problem solved :D.

tal3nt
04-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Never needed a mag loaded, but in your case it would definitely be a good idea. As for me, I have developed one of the highest quality Glock thumbs around

Lead Waster
04-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Then you load your magazines slower and with a great deal more discomfort until you can find/replace it?

Yeah, exactly! Loading a magazine is not a highly skilled task requiring years of schooling and experience. Getting them in fast and with the least discomfort might be an experience based task, but really...why?

Like, I COULD build a fire and heat up a pot of water OR I can plug in my electric kettle and get the job done easier.

I could use a screwdriver to drive 50 screws OR I can use my cordless screwdriver. Sure the screwdriver is more "old school and manly" but screw it, like Danny Glover says "I'm too old for this s...tuff".

This is really one case where I will easily go the easy way. I was at the range and hand loaded 60 rounds of 9mm into 6 magazines. Then I borrowed my friend's Uplula. I figured it out within 10 seconds and it literally took 1/4 of the time to load up all the magazines, with less effort and less pain. I ordered an Uplula the second we got back from the range.

OK, let me rephrase this...the Uplula is not a necessity, it is a LUXURY item, that costs about $20. Spend time shooting, not reloading!

corcoraj2002
04-30-2012, 12:06 PM
That's funny every time I break in my mags I just load full them as much as I can once and voila the next week they are easy to load and I can fit that 17th round in!

Well you are taking about fitting the 17th round in. The OP is struggling to get the first 6 rounds in. The spring will not lossen up enough to allow him to get all 10 in without discomfort. Also basic physics will show that the elastic deformation of a sping will not be modified, if kept compressed. If you over stretch it yes, you will hit the elastic limit of the spring. The best method to lossen up a spring is repeated compression/decompression.

Example. My HD gun, I have 2 magazines that are used to hold my HD rounds. Once every 6 weeks I will shoot my defensive type ammo through them. I have 4 other magazines that I use for range work, I use them every weekend. The HD magazines are still like new tight ( they are both constantly loaded ) where as the range magazines, stored with no rounds in them but compressed and decomposed a lot more then the HD ones are a lot looser.

All magazines where bought bran new, same brand all bought with in 2 weeks of each other.

cdnpuck
04-30-2012, 12:09 PM
Just to answer the people who said you should only load with your fingers just in case you lose your loader, if you were in a dire situation you can easily load 6 rounds manually and that is enough ammo to "protect" yourself. I think this discussion is based on loading full magazine after magazine at the range.

TempleKnight
04-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Well, c'mon now. I can fully load both my 10 round mags from Beretta and CZ and do it faster than I can with my uplula. #10 is hard in the Beretta and very hard in the CZ. I tend to shoot 150 to 200 rounds in whatever pistol I go to the range with. After about 70 rounds my thumb gets tired and I start using the loader. What's so wrong with that? I just bought the Uplula last month.

It's kind of like this: I go to jack up a car, I can use the jack that came with the car and work hard or I can get my floor jack out and do it with little effort, so why wouldn't I use the floor jack? What, just because if I get a flat I won't have my floor jack and I would have to use the jack that ame with the car! The reasoning for not using a loader doesn't make sense.

That's how I feel, too. I don't need to manually load my mags to prove anything to anybody. I can do it, but why? It's boring. Especially a cinched 30 round AR mag and the big stick for my open gun. Do you guys really think your friends are thinking "now there's a manly man; he loads without an UpLULA".

Meety Peety
04-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Welcome to the world of Glocks.. expect many more disappointments to come :)
Lol, only kidding. In all seriousness though, Glock mags are just annoying, most other magazines are much more user friendly (With the exception of that 10th round). A mag loader will definitely help, but you'll also get used to doing it by hand and it will get easier.

SnWnMe
04-30-2012, 1:30 PM

I like the cut of your jib.

HighLander51
04-30-2012, 3:01 PM

Right, a weapon platform that you have to take half apart to recharge it. And then it only holds 6 .45acps or 5 .357's. It's not the initial loading that is a problem, it's the reload. The on one the top is faster than the one on the bottom.

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image34581.jpg

C.Bronson
04-30-2012, 3:16 PM
I love my uplula! I shoot at an indoor range and its bye the hour. So with the "lula" I get more shots per hour. Its paid for already. Call me what ya will, I like it, and will continue to use it.I don't use it on single stack .45...but on double stack 9mm? You bet!!!
Bart

jonzer77
04-30-2012, 4:16 PM
Right, a weapon platform that you have to take half apart to recharge it. And then it only holds 6 .45acps or 5 .357's. It's not the initial loading that is a problem, it's the reload. The on one the top is faster than the one on the bottom.

:confused:

I haven't seen any revolvers that you have to take apart to reload. They also make revolvers that hold more then 5 rounds :)

stix213
04-30-2012, 4:20 PM
Glock 17 gen 3 comes with a factory mag loader. It works just fine and doesn't cost you anything. Once you've broken those mags in you won't need it anymore either.

shayski
04-30-2012, 4:38 PM
real bullets are easier first off but fully load them and set them in your safe. it will wear down the spring (a week or two should be fine) then it will be easier for that 9th and 10th round. those are the only 2 that should be hard. i personally dont like the stupid relaoders. i may just be to dumb for them but i prefer had loading.

Todosi
04-30-2012, 5:37 PM
Just for the record, leaving your mags loaded does nothing to the spring. It will be no easier after a week or two. Springs wear out due to compressing and decompressing.

I also prefer to load by hand, but for newer Kalifornia legal mags, those last couple rounds can be a pain. My girlfriend also loves the Uplula, so I picked one up as well.

SnWnMe
05-02-2012, 12:19 PM
then it only holds 6 .45acps or 5 .357's. It's not the initial loading that is a problem, it's the reload. The on one the top is faster than the one on the bottom.

6 rds of 45 is equal to 10 rds of 9mm because 9mm is a girly caliber.:cool:

And if you can't recharge your moon clip fed 45 ACP revolver as fast as you can reload your auto then you just need to practice more.

SoCalSig1911
05-02-2012, 2:55 PM
LOL @ the people that hand load for "Man-ly" purposes... You are not going to forget how to load a magazine by using an Uplula. Like someone else here already said, spend time shooting, not reloading.. By the time you have loaded 2 mags with 20 rounds I will be done shooting the 20 rounds i loaded with the Lula.. Don't be scared of a little new technology :D

SURVIVOR619
05-02-2012, 3:23 PM
Awesome, ordering one from amazon now :)

Hopefully you used the Calguns link to Amazon...

We all love a good deal, and if you shop online at Amazon, you can support the Second Amendment at the time time! Simply click this link (http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=calgunfounda-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957) and a portion of every sale you make during that session (up to 15% of the total purchase amount) will go directly to CGF's 2A rights-advancing programs and defending innocent California gunowners.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=calgunfounda-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957
Short link: http://amzn.to/tHPswq

Once you click the link, you'll be taken to the Amazon homepage. From there, you won't notice anything different about the shopping experience. Amazon will track the purchases made during that session to the CGF program - even recurring shipments.

Every single purchase makes a big difference. Please do share this link with your friends and family, and happy shopping - and shooting!

-Brandon

P.S. We keep a running tally of the monthly funds generated through this program in this thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=505057) in the 2A forum.