PDA

View Full Version : Help with an AR Pistol build

zombiescanlearn
04-28-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm interested in building an AR pistol. Can you give me a hand and tell me the components I need and suggest where to get them? Thanks.

Arkangel
04-28-2012, 11:02 AM
The most important thing is the pistol lower.

There are several ways of getting one.

-Buy a complete pistol lower from an lgs

-PPT a lower already DROS'd as a pistol

-Build one from an 80% lower

-Buy one ( LEO only )

Besides that you will need pistol buffer tube ( unable to accept a stock ), a zero round sled and a bullet button. Everything else is compatible with a rifle length AR ( upper,lpk,BCG ).

You will need a sled only if you build your own (part of the SSE process). Once you assemble the pistol, you remove the sled and you use mags . You will be limited to 10 round mags.

If I missed anything, someone will chime in.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I forgot to add, unless the OAL will be greater than 26", you can NOT use a forward vertical grip (AFG and handstops are ok).

Bartin
04-28-2012, 11:47 AM
do you need the sled if you are starting from an 80%?

Arkangel
04-28-2012, 12:08 PM
do you need the sled if you are starting from an 80%?

Legally you do. It us part of the SSE process.

sdfire
04-28-2012, 12:21 PM
I have a post about what I did with mine for reference

h0use
04-28-2012, 12:38 PM
i was wondering as for the buffer? what kind should be used?

Arkangel
04-28-2012, 12:51 PM
i was wondering as for the buffer? what kind should be used?

Carbine buffer should work just fine.

specOPS
04-28-2012, 1:09 PM
I think you've got it mixed up. Only LEOs can purchase pistol lowers completed/or stripped.

But Civilians can purchase built AR-15 pistols.

Correct me if I am wrong. Because if that's the case dealers in SD wont sell you just a pistol lower only the complete firearm. In any case 80% lower is the cheapest and easiest way.

zombiescanlearn
04-28-2012, 1:56 PM
Where do they sell 80% lowers? I've seen stripped lowers but not the other one.

zombiescanlearn
04-28-2012, 1:58 PM
I have a post about what I did with mine for reference

Link please.

Dark Sky Solutions
04-28-2012, 2:17 PM
Where do they sell 80% lowers? I've seen stripped lowers but not the other one.

Aimsmall has a group buy going right now just search for 80% lower group buy ad u will find him.

Also I have pistol uppers in 7.5", 10.5" and 14.5" when u are ready to buy one. Keep us posted

zombiescanlearn
04-28-2012, 2:55 PM
Aimsmall has a group buy going right now just search for 80% lower group buy ad u will find him.

Also I have pistol uppers in 7.5", 10.5" and 14.5" when u are ready to buy one. Keep us posted

Found him. Thanks.

So, now that I have the 80% lower, what do I need to make it into a complete lower?

Can I see some photos of your uppers? Who is the maker?

Yugo
04-28-2012, 3:02 PM

so one gets his 80% buys all the parts and the upper and now you are at your house about to assemble it all and you have to buy a single sled to insert then to take out and never use again? Im confused.

zombiescanlearn
04-28-2012, 3:06 PM

I missed that one. What's a SSE process?

Arkangel
04-28-2012, 5:58 PM
I think you've got it mixed up. Only LEOs can purchase pistol lowers completed/or stripped.

But Civilians can purchase built AR-15 pistols.

Correct me if I am wrong. Because if that's the case dealers in SD wont sell you just a pistol lower only the complete firearm. In any case 80% lower is the cheapest and easiest way.

Correct, that is why when I wrote "Buy one" I wrote (LEO only)

Found him. Thanks.

So, now that I have the 80% lower, what do I need to make it into a complete lower?

Mill out the remaining 20%. Calgunners such as Aimsmall and AR Tuma can help with that. Then you assemble the lower with your LPK and with BB attached you insert the mag sled. You then attach the upper, you can now remove the sled and use 10 round mags

so one gets his 80% buys all the parts and the upper and now you are at your house about to assemble it all and you have to buy a single sled to insert then to take out and never use again? Im confused.

See above post, but yes... It may sound silly, but this is how you LEGALLY assemble your pistol AR. I'm sure you will use it again when a friend builds one or when you build a second one

I missed that one. What's a SSE process?
Single Shot Exemption, it is how a civilian can obtain an off roster handgun. This process applies to single shot handguns with a minimum 6'' barrel.

Dark Sky Solutions
05-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Found him. Thanks.

Can I see some photos of your uppers? Who is the maker?

Sorry for the pic that's far away. It is the only one I have on my phone from the last buy I did.

These uppers are manufactured by Vytamenc C Tactical. Great uppers. I am running these myself. I currently have a 10.5" pistol and some 16" in the safe for future builds. Pm me for more info

Akers
05-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Location Zombie? I have some contacts on 80 ---> 100% of lowers.

zombiescanlearn
05-07-2012, 2:37 PM
Location Zombie? I have some contacts on 80 ---> 100% of lowers.

Hey thanks but I decided just to let someone who knows what they're doing do the job. Don't want to go to jail over a hobby. I bought one from EBR.

Capybara
05-07-2012, 8:22 PM
www.ebrworks.com just built my AR15 pistol,,errrh, Title I Firearm (OAL 28") It is a thing of beauty, Michael does great work, I highly recommend anyone in SoCal who wants an AR pistol, make the trip to see Michael. Great guy, great business.

zombiescanlearn
05-08-2012, 12:35 PM
www.ebrworks.com just built my AR15 pistol,,errrh, Title I Firearm (OAL 28") It is a thing of beauty, Michael does great work, I highly recommend anyone in SoCal who wants an AR pistol, make the trip to see Michael. Great guy, great business.

:useless:

:D

Capybara
05-08-2012, 8:07 PM
Told ya it is a thing of beauty. OAL is 28". Kissing cousin to the Franklin Armory XO-26.
Spikes lower, 11" upper with YHM quad, Hogue monogrip, Mako Group 7 point VFG, Aimpoint Pro, 10/20 PMAGs with UBBTs.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/capybara84/ART1Full.jpg

zombiescanlearn
05-08-2012, 8:46 PM
Told ya it is a thing of beauty. OAL is 28". Kissing cousin to the Franklin Armory XO-26.
Spikes lower, 11" upper with YHM quad, Hogue monogrip, Mako Group 7 point VFG, Aimpoint Pro, 10/20 PMAGs with UBBTs.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w489/capybara84/ART1Full.jpg

You just made my wait for my AR soooo much worse!!! She's beautiful. Congrats!