PDA

View Full Version : Sig 1911 Platinum

Dirtbikindad393
04-27-2012, 10:13 PM
I took my brother to the range yesterday and made the mistake of going into the gun shop. Handled the Sig 1911 Platinum 45acp. OMG now I want one in the worst way. Does anybody out there own one of these? Is it a good gun? Have you had any issues with it at all? I do not own any 1911's yet but have been looking at them and will be buying one soon but don't want to waste money. That gun was so beautiful though that I can't stop thinking about shooting it.

AlbcAlbrr
04-27-2012, 10:32 PM
I don't own a Sig 1911, but I do own many other Sigs. I think Sig makes a really great quality gun. From everything I've read, their 1911's are top notch and designed in the right way for flawless performance.

jcaoloveshine
04-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Sigs make great 1911s under $1000.

You get features like frontstrap checkering and checkered mainspring housings along with carry dehorning that usually come in guns that are much more expensive.

They use external extractors, which offends purists, but they seem to have executed it well (better than Kimber a few years ago at least). The Sig 1911s I've fondled were all very well made and had good triggers.

Only downside I'd say is they use some MIM parts, which MAY break if you shoot the gun A LOT.

Otherwise, good to go. You could always replace the MIM parts with aftermarket Wilson/Brown/Nighthawk/Baer forged parts, total cost would probably run you less than $100.

cfusionpm
04-27-2012, 10:55 PM
I've got a Sig and love it. Smooth as glass and shoots much better than I do. Definitely a change of pace from my other double stack polymer frames... But I love it!

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/3424/img9611m.jpg

JDMHighEnd
04-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Sigs make great 1911s under $1000.

You get features like frontstrap checkering and checkered mainspring housings along with carry dehorning that usually come in guns that are much more expensive.

They use external extractors, which offends purists, but they seem to have executed it well (better than Kimber a few years ago at least). The Sig 1911s I've fondled were all very well made and had good triggers.

Only downside I'd say is they use some MIM parts, which MAY break if you shoot the gun A LOT.

Otherwise, good to go. You could always replace the MIM parts with aftermarket Wilson/Brown/Nighthawk/Baer forged parts, total cost would probably run you less than $100.

Just curious, which parts are MIM on the Sig 1911? Will it be the same on all models or production dates? Some people say no MIM parts at all and some do.

JDMHighEnd
04-27-2012, 10:57 PM
I've got a Sig and love it. Smooth as glass and shoots much better than I do. Definitely a change of pace from my other double stack polymer frames... But I love it!

Saw your recent purchase on this on one of your threads. Very nice piece. Shes a beauty!

InGrAM
04-27-2012, 11:15 PM

Hey just an idea but you might want to add a nighthawk magazine well/mainspring housing to that puppy. I installed one today on my GSR Nitron Target and I have to say that it is very nice and the finish is very close to the Sig Nitron finish.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/935702/nighthawk-custom-mainspring-housing-flat-with-magazine-well-1911-government-commander-checkered-25-lpi-blue

^ Perfect fit, no fitting required at all and it looks/works awesomely.

Just thought I would throw that out there for you.

Nor*Cal
04-27-2012, 11:48 PM
I own the P229, P226 and the full size 1911 Platinum Elite models and I really like them. The 1911 is my favorite shooter. It is very smooth and accurate.

I made a few changes to mine but they were more of a personalization than function improvement. I changed out the solid trigger, the mainspring housing, and added a magwell with full length grips. The gun was flawless out of the box and still is with my minor changes. I've put close to 1000 rounds through it so far and have not experienced a single malfunction. I would not hesitate to buy this gun again.

These were a limited edition custom shop model gun and they stopped making the 1911 Platinum Elite's in November of 2011. They are getting pretty hard to find although gun broker usually has 1 or 2 for sale.

Is the one you found new or used? How much do they want for it? I say if the price is right do not hesitate to buy it. You will love it.

Here's a blerb from SIG's press release about the 1911 Platinum. They do not have as many upgrades as the P229, 226 and 220 platinums but are still very nice pieces.

"Rounding out the Platinum Elite models, SIG SAUER has customized two of their award winning lines of 1911’s. The 1911 Platinum Elite and Platinum Elite Carry are fitted with adjustable combat night sights for precision shooting under day and low light conditions. Both feature a Nitron® finished frame. Machined to exacting tolerances and hand-fit for reliability and performance, these Custom Shop pistols not only look good but are built with durability and accuracy in mind. Only premium internal components that include a match-grade barrel, hammer/sear set and trigger go into these Single Action Only masterpieces."

Here's a few pictures of mine.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o128/NorCaltrx450r/12-1911side.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o128/NorCaltrx450r/17-1911back.jpg

Echidin
04-27-2012, 11:55 PM
I was a little hesitant about the Sig 1911, but after talking with a few Sig 1911 owners and hearing nothing only positive things about them, I had to have one to see what the hype was about. What I discovered was no hype, just an accurate all-around good quality 1911. IIRC, the earlier production 1911s from Sig claimed no MIM parts, but as far as I'm aware the slide stop, thumb safety, disconnector and firing pin stop are MIM parts. No need to let that stand in your way. When done properly MIM parts are just as good as forged. Sig and S&W are two that seem to have gotten this, along with the external extractor, right in my experience.

Dirtbikindad393
04-28-2012, 9:00 AM
Nor*Cal they have a price tag on it of 999.99. I also saw one on guns america or something like that for 925.00 + 25.00 shipping. I was thinking about going back in and showing them the online ad and see if they would match the 925.00. Is that a fair price for one of these?

Nor*Cal
04-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Nor*Cal they have a price tag on it of 999.99. I also saw one on guns america or something like that for 925.00 + 25.00 shipping. I was thinking about going back in and showing them the online ad and see if they would match the 925.00. Is that a fair price for one of these?

This handgun is not on the roster so I'm not sure if that price includes the SSE or if you are LE or if its a consignment gun that would be exempt from the roster. If the price includes the SSE then I think its a fair one. I bought mine new for $889 but then spent another $100+ on the out of state transfer and SSE process. Ended up costing me a little over 1k.

So, its hard to judge that price without more info. Without SSE it should be $900 or a little under. I've seen them as low as $850 on gunbroker. But its hard to find that low of a price locally.

If you really like the gun just keep in mind that its no longer made and soon you will no longer find any new ones for sales.

Good luck. Post some feedback if you end up buying it.

Neptune
04-28-2012, 7:50 PM
I have an all stainless Sig 1911 with rail, and it's essentially the same gun as that platinum. The Sig 1911s are reliable, accurate, and some of the best 1911's you can pick up at that price point. My Sig 1911 is one of my daily carry pieces and I like it just fine.

__

RealBarber
04-28-2012, 7:56 PM
damn thats a good looking pistol

Dirtbikindad393
05-01-2012, 5:24 PM
I have an all stainless Sig 1911 with rail, and it's essentially the same gun as that platinum. The Sig 1911s are reliable, accurate, and some of the best 1911's you can pick up at that price point. My Sig 1911 is one of my daily carry pieces and I like it just fine.

What model?

cwin
05-01-2012, 8:37 PM
I don't think you can go wrong with a Sig. I'm currently itching to add a Sig 1911 to my collection.

Tee Why
05-01-2012, 9:24 PM
I've had a Kimber eclipse II and a Springfield Loaded model before getting a Sig 1911 TTT. Out of the three, the Sig is the best IMO in terms of quality. All of the guns were very accurate but the Sig offers the most features for under/about $1000 IMO.

If you can find your sig for a good price, don't hesitate about getting a current generation of Sig 1911s.