PDA

View Full Version : Browning BL-22 Lever Action

CBruce
04-27-2012, 8:05 PM
My wife has a Browning BL-22 that was handed down to her through her grandmother. We're cleaning it up, readying it for the range and trying to get a bit more information about it.
Obligatory picture (http://i.imgur.com/0y5VN.jpg)

The serial number is on the bottom of the receiver (rather than the right side) and it reads "47B49320". From what I gathered from a few google searches is this means it was manufacturerd in 1974. I'm assuming that since the receiver is not engraved or inlaid pattern in the stock that it's a Grade 1. Does this information sound correct?

The rifle looks to be in decent condition. Lots of dings and superficial scratches on the wood stock, but no chunks or anything really that deep into the finish. There's some minor pitting and rust spots in the steel under the feed tub that I'm hoping to work out with some steel wool and some cold blue touch-ups if needed. Otherwise, pretty sound looking. Anything else I should be sure to take care of before we take it out to the range and put some lead through it?

Finally, does anyone have any reccomendations for a decent scope to put on it? I've read a number of reccomendations for the Simmons 3-9x32.