PDA

View Full Version : Sig Sauer ACP

JohnZ
04-27-2012, 7:32 PM
Is this illegal? It looks pretty cool, must be new.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/standard-acp.aspx

Demonicspire
04-27-2012, 7:37 PM
I think it's ok so long as it doesn't allow you to add a second grip.

Khafre
04-27-2012, 7:48 PM
I don't know about legality, but the overall concept looks pretty silly to me.

First off there is no stock. I guess this keeps it from being a SBR, but then really what is the point of it?

It offers accessory rails for an optic, so I guess this will allow you to forego milling the slide for an optic, but other than that... what esle is there? It mounts to the rail already on the pistol where a light and/or laser could be mounted. The 6 o'clock rail can allow you to mount a foregrip, but this will make it an AW in Cali. It looks like you give up your holster for a sling, which isn't neceassarily an advantage.

If any of you can tell me what the advantages of this system would be please tell me. I would like to learn more about it and any contrary opinions are welcome.

Iggy
04-27-2012, 7:55 PM
They've had these for a 1911 and I think Glocks.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/12/21/hera-1911-carbine-kit/

http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/img_1654-tfb.jpg

With a stock it's an SBR, without the stock and with a forward grip it's an AOW, and with no stock or forward grip it's a pistol.

NapaCountyShooter
04-27-2012, 8:18 PM
I guess I don't see the point?

manuelcardenas77
04-27-2012, 8:26 PM
U don't see the point either kinda like a AR pistol,but to each his own!

JohnZ
04-27-2012, 8:36 PM
I'm just interested in knowing if this is legal or not. I like the way it looks. I don't see the point for a lot of things that people buy or like on the forum, but that's me.

Iggy
04-27-2012, 10:21 PM
I want to say it's legal, but there is something about a barrel shroud in the AW pistol laws. I don't know if this counts. If it doesn't as long as it doesn't have a stock or forward grip you should be legal.

JohnZ
04-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the info Iggy, I appreciate it.

Striker
04-27-2012, 10:25 PM
I see the point in it. There is a version with a stock on it, which makes your pistol into a make shift semi auto sub gun. But the version without the stock has the same use as an HK MP 5 pistol. What's termed as a PDW. With the red dot for faster hits on target and a front grip section to control recoil better. It's interesting in the way that it can make your pistol more versatile.

Quiet
04-28-2012, 12:16 AM
It can be legal provided that:
1. It never has a shoulder stock attached to it.
2. It never has a vertical forward grip attached to it.
3. It has a maglock + 10 round magazine.

Why...
1. Shoulder stock makes it a SBR. (Federal felony + state felony)
2. Vertical forward grip makes it an AOW. (Federal felony)
3. The kit makes the pistol have a barrel shoud and if the pistol uses detachable magazines, then it will be an assault weapon. (state felony)

InGrAM
04-28-2012, 12:23 AM
Gotta love "tacticool" products, lol.

JohnZ
04-28-2012, 12:58 AM
Quiet, what constitutes a barrel shroud? The reason I ask is because if you look at the 6th picture on this link, that circular endpiece is no where near the barrel, but I do not know how CA defines a "barrel shroud".

Quiet
04-28-2012, 1:39 AM
Quiet, what constitutes a barrel shroud? The reason I ask is because if you look at the 6th picture on this link, that circular endpiece is no where near the barrel, but I do not know how CA defines a "barrel shroud".

Penal Code 30515
(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, "assault weapon" also means any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning the bearer's hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.

cwin
04-28-2012, 7:03 AM
Saw this at shot show...I wasn't too impressed with it and personally would never use it.

JeremyS
04-30-2012, 2:58 PM
Penal Code 30515
(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, "assault weapon" also means any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning the bearer's hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
Does that have to be the express purpose of the "barrel shroud" for this to apply? If it does, then I don't see this counting as a "barrel shroud" per that section of the penal code since these kits for pistols are not at all designed for the purpose of preventing burns, nor do these kits allow you to now fire your pistol without being burned (which implies that was not possible previous to adding the kit).

21SF
04-30-2012, 3:08 PM
Please tell me that isnt the way it attaches to the pistol, by the beaver tail....

JohnZ
04-30-2012, 7:05 PM
The gun primarily secures to the chasis via the rail system.

MrExel17
04-30-2012, 7:56 PM
I want one, but can't cuz I live in CA! Keep it movin