PDA

View Full Version : Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide? A Review of International Evidence

paradox
04-29-2007, 6:00 AM
I just finished reading “Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide? A Review of International Evidence” by Don B. Kates and Gary A. Mauser and can't recommend it enough. Hoffmang had linked to this paper a few days ago, but for the life of me I can’t find the thread where he did so.

Everyone here should read this paper, it systematically annihilates every argument of the anti-gunners with solid statistics. If you ever find yourself in 2A debates, the information in this paper is priceless...

http://law.bepress.com/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6426&context=expresso
Abstract
The world abounds in instruments with which people can kill each other.
Is the widespread availability of one of these instruments, firearms, a crucial
determinant of the incidence of murder? Or do patterns of murder and/or vio-
lent crime reflect basic socio-economic and/or cultural factors to which the mere
availability of one particular form of weaponry is irrelevant?
This article examines a broad range of international data that bear on two
distinct but interrelated questions: first, whether widespread firearm access is
an important contributing factor in murder and/or suicide, and second, whether
the introduction of laws that restrict general access to firearms has been suc-
cessful in reducing violent crime, homicide or suicide. Our conclusion from the
available data is that suicide, murder and violent crime rates are determined
by basic social, economic and/or cultural factors with the availability of any
particular one of the world’s myriad deadly instrument being irrelevant.

Librarian
04-29-2007, 12:23 PM
A slightly better copy is at Gary Mauser's page (www.garymauser.net/papers.html). The tables are in place in the pages and such.

If you've been reading this stuff for the last 15 years, there isn't a lot new here, but it is very thorough.

MIKEUSMC2005
04-29-2007, 1:23 PM
The article on crime trends is outstanding.

I wish the bleeding heart liberals would read that. But unfortunately, they have their own agenda.

.......If peace ever comes, I'm out of a job!

wilit
04-29-2007, 9:39 PM
I don't think banning firearms would do anything to the murder and suicide rate. Instead, they should just make murder and suicide illegal, that way people won't do it cause it'll be against the law.

MaceWindu
04-29-2007, 9:41 PM
There is a ban on cocaine, marijuana, and meth. How's that working out? :rolleyes:

Mace

DIG
04-30-2007, 2:41 PM
Look at the UK. They banned guns. They have NO crime what so ever. Nice ;)

...end sarcasm.

IMO, limiting the right of an individual to defend themselves only emboldens predators and the criminal element, period.

Charliegone
04-30-2007, 7:41 PM
There is a ban on cocaine, marijuana, and meth. How's that working out? :rolleyes:

Mace

Not so well. We've been in the "Drug War" for over 50 years, and we aren't winning.:rolleyes:

radioactivelego
04-30-2007, 8:22 PM
Not so well. We've been in the "Drug War" for over 50 years, and we aren't winning.:rolleyes:You ever turn on the TV and see a table with one side covered in guns, and the other covered in mounds of green or white bags?

And the LEO says "this will put a major dent in the war on drugs!"

Have you ever seen that more than once?

In the same month?

FatKatMatt
05-14-2007, 9:57 AM
It would lower the rate of firearms related suicides me thinks, but suicides themselves will not stop, the methods will just change

hoffmang
05-14-2007, 10:58 AM
FatKat,

I was surprised that the evidence around suicides is that banning firearms lowers firearm suicides but comparing total suicides before and after shows no impact. People substitute other methods for firearms when firearms are harder to obtain.

This article is an excellent and honest read that everyone on this board who debates issues around gun ownership should read.

The most interesting thing I noticed was the argument that gun bans don't lead to higher violence but look to be a politically caused outcome of higher violence.

-Gene

ldivinag
05-14-2007, 12:43 PM
can someone post CLIFF NOTES version?