PDA

View Full Version : This sucks! S&W repair issue

Fadedline
04-27-2012, 1:59 PM
Sent in my brand new 627 PC to S&W for canted barrel and issues with the finish. Just received a call from a customer service rep that they had to replace the frame, so new serial numbers. He didn't even know why they had to replace the frame when I asked. So they have to ship it back to my FFL, and I have to pay the fees all over again, and wait another 10 days.:mad:

They agreed to pay $20 of the fees... Should they take care of the fees, or is this normal? Kind of pissed right now.

Fherot
04-27-2012, 2:06 PM
If the flaw was from S&W then I don't see why you'd have to pay anything.

jwagman1
04-27-2012, 2:08 PM
+1 Fherot

Fadedline
04-27-2012, 2:28 PM
Yeah, I'll have to call them on Monday. arrgghhh

keenkeen
04-27-2012, 2:36 PM
Sent in my brand new 627 PC to S&W for canted barrel and issues with the finish. Just received a call from a customer service rep that they had to replace the frame, so new serial numbers. He didn't even know why they had to replace the frame when I asked. So they have to ship it back to my FFL, and I have to pay the fees all over again, and wait another 10 days.:mad:

They agreed to pay $20 of the fees... Should they take care of the fees, or is this normal? Kind of pissed right now.

What "fees" are you talking about..the $25 DROS? If so and they agreed to cover $20 of it I guess I would not get to worked up about it.

Or are there other fees involved?

Fadedline
04-27-2012, 2:42 PM
My FFL charges $75 to register a handgun.

keenkeen
04-27-2012, 2:47 PM
My FFL charges $75 to register a handgun.

Not sure what you mean by this...

Must be $50 to recive the gun not in his inventory and $25 for the DROS? Or?

Fadedline
04-27-2012, 2:58 PM
I guess I'm getting gouged, but out of state handgun transfers cost me $75.

03fatboy
04-27-2012, 3:15 PM
$75 is about the normal dealer transfer charge.

Follow up, let S&W know, they know the process and they should pay the cost to make it right. It's just CA charges more than other states and they should make good and pay your FFL directly so you don't have to worry about it, except for waiting ten days.

keenkeen
04-27-2012, 3:31 PM
I guess I'm getting gouged, but out of state handgun transfers cost me $75.

No, I think that seems about right for a gun not bought out of dealer inventory...

That being said, most of the FFLs I use would not charge me again for a gun that came in and then had to go right back out and get replaced by the mfg.

They would charge me again for the DROS but not the transfer fees...

I mean, they can charge agian for the transfer fees, nothing is stoping them, but the guys I use on a regular basis would not.

That said, S&W should help you out with the fees also.

curtru
04-27-2012, 3:50 PM
They should also throw in a few boxes of premo ammo for the issue and to test and make sure its up to par

gsparesa
04-27-2012, 3:51 PM
Don't you also have to also send in your "Notice of No Longer in Possession (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf)" form to the California Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms?

Department of Justice
Bureau of Firearms
P.O. Box 820200 Sacramento, CA 94203-0200
For Questions: www.ag.ca.gov/firearms

compulsivegunbuyer
04-27-2012, 3:53 PM
My FFL charges $75 to register a handgun

Find a new dealer. I had a gun replaced and the dealer I bought it from charged me the $25 DROS, that's it. You can also ask for a refund from S&W and tell them you don't wan't another gun. You can also ask them to uprade you to a more expensive gun for your trouble. They did this for me after a gun went back for the third time. Their customer service is pretty good.

Fadedline
04-27-2012, 4:27 PM
Thanks guys. I'll talk to my FFL on Monday before I talk to S&W, maybe they'll help me out on the fees.

Thanks for the info gsparesa, I was wondering about that too.

LAWABIDINGCITIZEN
04-27-2012, 4:42 PM
Don't you also have to also send in your "Notice of No Longer in Possession (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf)" form to the California Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms?

Department of Justice
Bureau of Firearms
P.O. Box 820200 Sacramento, CA 94203-0200
For Questions: www.ag.ca.gov/firearms

Definitely need to do this and get the old one off your record. You need the receipt from S&W stating the old and new serial numbers. There's a box to check on the NLIP form just for this.

Guess how I know about this????????

:mad::confused:

nikki#2
04-27-2012, 5:22 PM
I agree with you... that sucks, and on a PC gun to boot. I'm a strong S&W man & shareholder, so I'm interested in how this turns out. My suggestion is that you call back and request to speak to a manager.
Have some ideas already thought out in your back pocket as to how S&W can make you whole... Perhaps a full refund is the only thing that will satisfy you. Perhaps a discount on certain merchandise or gunsmith services will suffice...
Only you can decide that. Don't hang up on that manager without a fight until you are satisfied.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

SnWnMe
04-27-2012, 8:57 PM
I don't get it. Why don't they just pull a blank frame from the line, destroy your old one and then stamp your old SN on the blank?

NIB
04-27-2012, 10:32 PM
I don't get it. Why don't they just pull a blank frame from the line, destroy your old one and then stamp your old SN on the blank?

They can't due to ATF regulations.

I would find another FFL, $75 for a warranty replacement is B.S. Your not special ordering it.

Legasat
04-27-2012, 10:56 PM
S&W customer service is generally pretty good. I would definitely speak to them again before I paid a dime. They should pay for everything...or at least make it worth your while by sweetening the pot.

DEPUTYBILL
04-28-2012, 8:53 AM
If this gun is on warranty,I think S&W should pay ALL the costs to get you a new firearm!

Fadedline
04-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Happy S&W customer again!

Apparently the rep that I talked to on Friday was having a bad day. I explained my situation to a new rep, and he wanted to know the name of the rep that wouldn't help me on Friday, Oops :D

Basically he said it didn't matter the cost of the transfer fees, it's their fault and they will handle it. Fax them the receipt and they'll send out a check. That's what I wanted to hear.

Back to jail she goes. :rolleyes:

Oldnoob
04-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Happy S&W customer again!

Apparently the rep that I talked to on Friday was having a bad day. I explained my situation to a new rep, and he wanted to know the name of the rep that wouldn't help me on Friday, Oops :D

Basically he said it didn't matter the cost of the transfer fees, it's their fault and they will handle it. Fax them the receipt and they'll send out a check. That's what I wanted to hear.

Back to jail she goes. :rolleyes:

That is awesome CS right there. I need to give S&W more business.

scarville
04-30-2012, 1:03 PM
That is awesome CS right there. I need to give S&W more business.

I once removed the rear sight on a gun and manged to misplace it. When I called S&W about a replacement part, the rep offered to send me one at no cost. I declined because is was my fault and not a problem with the gun.

A few years later, I had a problem with a new 686 on which the recoil plate was not machined correctly. S&W fixed it right up and paid for all the costs involved. While I am still a little perturbed that returning it was even necessary I do agree that S&W's customer service in the case was excellent.

Oceanbob
04-30-2012, 1:08 PM
Find a new dealer. I had a gun replaced and the dealer I bought it from charged me the $25 DROS, that's it. You can also ask for a refund from S&W and tell them you don't wan't another gun. You can also ask them to uprade you to a more expensive gun for your trouble. They did this for me after a gun went back for the third time. Their customer service is pretty good.

Their Customer Service might be good but their Quality Control seems to be lacking. Why would such a mess even get out of the barn in the first place.?

JMO folks.

butch952
04-30-2012, 1:30 PM
A big +1 find a new dealer

jonzer77
04-30-2012, 5:36 PM
Definitely need to do this and get the old one off your record. You need the receipt from S&W stating the old and new serial numbers. There's a box to check on the NLIP form just for this.

Guess how I know about this????????

:mad::confused:

When you transfer a gun to someone through an FFL does it not take care of that for you? If not then I have quite a few forms to fill out :(