PDA

View Full Version : Optimal carry gun?

taperxz
04-27-2012, 10:48 AM
I keep coming back to thinking a S&W air weight in .38 really is practical.

Opinions?

Already have all the semi autos I need.;)

cannon
04-27-2012, 12:57 PM
The perfect carry gun does not exist. Pick what works best for you.

tacticalcity
04-27-2012, 1:00 PM

+1 This. I have yet to find one I am 100% pleased with for summer carry. Torn between the Glock 26 and the Springfield EMP (or your choice of officers size 1911). Reliability/confidence wise, I like the Glock. Printing wise I like the thinner officer's size 1911. Revolvers do not appeal to me.

Backcountry
04-27-2012, 1:02 PM
Close this thread. Rhetorical question with no correct answer.

Turo
04-27-2012, 1:05 PM

Opinions?

I've tried to carry that same gun, and it just wasn't comfortable. It's the bulge of the cylinder that gets me. I picked a subcompact semi-auto in .40S&W; more power per shot, twice as many rounds in the magazine, plus an easy quick reload of 15 rounds, and it's flat, so it doesn't stick me in the side when I carry it.

I'm not a big fan of the .38, just because there are so many newer rounds that are much more powerful, with less, or the same amount of recoil, that take up less space if carrying. Also, the trigger on those S&W airlight (airweight? I always forget which it is) revolvers suck. If I'm going to defend my life, I don't want to have to fight a 12 pound double action trigger that will probably throw off my aim something fierce every time I fire a shot.

I'm not saying that your choice is wrong for you or anybody else, just that it's completely wrong for me. And that right there is why there is no "optimal" carry gun

taperxz
04-27-2012, 1:17 PM
Close this thread. Rhetorical question with no correct answer.

Perhaps ill think about it when i get a few more people answering the question about the 38 air weight Smith and Wesson.

Your answer left nothing but a carbon footprint.:rolleyes:

taperxz
04-27-2012, 1:21 PM
I've tried to carry that same gun, and it just wasn't comfortable. It's the bulge of the cylinder that gets me. I picked a subcompact semi-auto in .40S&W; more power per shot, twice as many rounds in the magazine, plus an easy quick reload of 15 rounds, and it's flat, so it doesn't stick me in the side when I carry it.

I'm not a big fan of the .38, just because there are so many newer rounds that are much more powerful, with less, or the same amount of recoil, that take up less space if carrying. Also, the trigger on those S&W airlight (airweight? I always forget which it is) revolvers suck. If I'm going to defend my life, I don't want to have to fight a 12 pound double action trigger that will probably throw off my aim something fierce every time I fire a shot.

I'm not saying that your choice is wrong for you or anybody else, just that it's completely wrong for me. And that right there is why there is no "optimal" carry gun

Thanks for the reply. I carry a small .38 open carry all the time but not concealed. FWIW the 38 air weight is pretty dang small but the cylinder concealed i didn't think much about as far as printing. I do know its the most comfortable when i open carry because its light and can take a beating and will almost* never fail to operate.:D

Turo
04-27-2012, 1:27 PM
Thanks for the reply. I carry a small .38 open carry all the time but not concealed. FWIW the 38 air weight is pretty dang small but the cylinder concealed i didn't think much about as far as printing. I do know its the most comfortable when i open carry because its light and can take a beating and will almost* never fail to operate.:D

Oh, don't get me wrong. I couldn't make the gun print if I tried. It's just that the change in thickness from the cylinder made it jab me in the side when carrying it IWB. Open carry it worked just fine for me, although I'd probably go with a bigger revolver if I were to open carry, a K-frame size or similar.

As far as reliability, I agree completely. You don't get much better than a wheel gun in terms of reliability.

taperxz
04-27-2012, 1:32 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong. I couldn't make the gun print if I tried. It's just that the change in thickness from the cylinder made it jab me in the side when carrying it IWB. Open carry it worked just fine for me, although I'd probably go with a bigger revolver if I were to open carry, a K-frame size or similar.

As far as reliability, I agree completely. You don't get much better than a wheel gun in terms of reliability.

When i am working on my ranch? NO WAY i carry something bigger! They just become a freaking boat anchor when your working. I also like the wheel guns for this application because of the dirt ect. Besides the point. Thanks for your opinion on concealed.

Untamed1972
04-27-2012, 1:45 PM
Prolly not too practical and would print like a MoFo.....but damn if anybody would F with you! LOL

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/T2JDHandheldMinigun-9.jpg

nocomply25
04-27-2012, 2:38 PM
When i lived in the middle east i use to conceal carry an RPG...stupid cali laws!

glockman19
04-27-2012, 3:00 PM
+1 for S&W J-frames

Ranger20
04-27-2012, 11:25 PM
Optimal ... Hmm.. Opinions vary.. of course.. Agreed no set answer.. After owning over 60 handguns no ONE is best.. for everything including Carry.

That said: I have found the J frame 442/642 and in particular my new SW M&P 340 to be a very good all around choice.
Lots of options with this one for ammo, carry mode, etc... The Night site is a nice feature.

It's not my only carry option but it's going to often be... like my 442 or 642 were always in use whether as a BUG or Primary...
for those days when a larger gun is tougher to dress around.

Just my opinion.. lots of good choices out there.. as opinions which will be many..
Find something your comfortable with and shoot well..

Best to you in your quest..

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r614/windward22/340L.jpg http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r614/windward22/340RF.jpg http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r614/windward22/340B.jpg

ap3572001
04-28-2012, 12:01 AM
one of my favotite off duty gun is my s&w 3914 .

fullrearview
04-28-2012, 12:44 AM

^^This to an extent... I carry a XDm9 3.8 with a TLR-3 light IWB. For many reasons, I don't want more crap on my belt so I have light and 20 rounds all in one spot.

I make my own holsters, so I made it work for me.

Because of these things above, it is the perfect carry gun for me.

redrex
04-28-2012, 2:05 AM
You might as well ask what is the best screwdriver. The answer is the one that's right for the job. A lot of people have multiple guns depending on the condition.

Rugged LCP for ultra compact pocket pistol for those hot days when you are in shorts. Keltec PF9 for jeans shirt no jacket.

But you want to carry inside the belt? Kahr cw9?

Wearing a jacket or maybe you just want a little something extra... I tried the Kahr 45. Its great, light and very accurate especially if you consider the barrel length. But I'm getting rid of it to standardize on the 1911 platform. There are some nice mid and compact size models out there.

It's entirely about what works for you and the situation.

tbhracing
04-28-2012, 2:16 AM
Tagged, interested in Glock 26 information.

ExtremeX
04-28-2012, 2:22 AM
Brother has a Glock 26 and I have a XD 9mm Subcompact... I still prefer the XD over the Glock, but my girl has a Kahr CW9, and it really is better in every way as a carry gun. The more I shoot it, the more I want to take it from her.

If you are looking for a carry weapon, the Kahr line should not be overlooked.

Red Devil
04-28-2012, 9:38 AM
The perfect carry gun does not exist...

Unless you're a stripper, the perfect carry gun DOES exist...

...It's just the carrier's selection that is controversial. :D

frankm
04-28-2012, 9:47 AM

Opinions?

S&W Bodyguard in .38 with laser sight?

Sturnovik
04-28-2012, 10:00 AM

Opinions?

Well the 642/442, LCR and assorted other snubbies sell well for a reason. As long as your not going to war its a great CCW option. All my local shops said they cant even keep them in stock for LEO's.

For me its really only a G26/G27, P239 or 642. I'd buy an XD sub but I would have to shoot it again.

You can get a little sheath that breaks up the printing everyones speaking of with a snub/j frame. Works wonders.

Peter W Bush
04-28-2012, 10:02 AM
Look for a model 49. I particularly like the shrouded hammer that doesn't snag but can still be used for s/a shots

Sturnovik
04-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Look for a model 49. I particularly like the shrouded hammer that doesn't snag but can still be used for s/a shots

Good option as well.