PDA

View Full Version : Going to buy a .22 rifle and have some questions

Bert Gamble
04-27-2012, 12:00 AM
Greetings,

I have decided that I need to add at least one .22 rifle to my collection. The purpose will be mostly fun, but it will also be a hunting rifle for small game if the need ever arises. I have read that the .22 is a must have in every preparedness scenario.

I am pretty new to guns, but have bought a few. Normaly I lean towards the higher dollar items, but I don't know if that is really necessary where the .22 is concerned.

I am hoping that you experienced guys can steer me in the right direction on a rifle and scope. When I look online, there are just so many choices that I get confused. I could probably find a good rifle, but the scope is where I get lost.

I recently bought a 30-06 that I haven't fired yet. I bought it mostly because it already had a scope and I didn't have to try to pick one out.

I would also appreciate any tips on how to mount and adjust the scope.

Thanks

KandyRedCoi
04-27-2012, 2:14 AM
Ruger 10/22 With a Simmons Magnum 22 scope and Usgi sling...done

Hallucinosis
04-27-2012, 2:18 AM
I think your choice depends heavily on what features you want.

Decide what your must have features are and what features you might like to have and you can significantly pair down your options from there.

Magazine fed or tube loader?
Wood stock or composite/other?
Barrel detachment for backpack transport desired?
Ability to accept .22 short and long in addition to the standard long rifle?
How significant are your concerns on weight?
Are you interested in modifying the gun for better performance or do you favor out of box performance?
Do you need extended magazines?
Do you want a semi-automatic rifle, or would you prefer lever action/bolt action?
Good stock sites required, or willing to upgrade?
Will you clean the gun regularly after use?
Would you prefer a highly polished finish or a rougher finish (i.e. something you will cherish, or something you can not worry as much about small dings)?
Prefer Blued, Stainless, or Coated finish?

Hallucinosis
04-27-2012, 2:42 AM
First of all, I don't know a lot about all the different models, so this is just my opinion based on my experience and what I've researched. Also I'm brand new on these forums. =P

Basically if you want a relatively inexpensive semi-automatic magazine fed rifle in stainless or blued, don't mind moderate out-of-box accuracy, would like something that you can modify, want extended magazines, and for it to have reasonable weight: Ruger 10-22 (comes in blued/stainless/and a million other options, and backpack breakdown version, etc.). Ruger 10-20 is about options--more options than any other .22 as far as I know.

If you want all of the above, but with very good out-of-box accuracy, don't care about modification, will upgrade sights, don't care about extended magazines, would like empty magazine lockback, and wouldn't mind spending about $100 less than the Ruger 10-20; then get the Marlin 795 (blued, stainless, and a different model is similar but has the breakdown/backpack capability).

I don't know anything about Savage/Winchester/Remington models, but I don't doubt they're good.

I have a Browning SA-22 and just ordered a Marlin 795ss as a beater rifle (sometimes you don't want to have to completely baby your firearm from the slightest surface blemish). The Browning SA-22 gun is accurate, breaks down for backpacking, has a stock fed tube loader, has a simply brilliant disassembly for cleaning, has a very high polish on the stock and bluing, has a unique straight-down shell extraction, is fairly light. Grade I will run about $600, which is beautiful by itself, but if you want fancy engravings you can double that price. I love this gun. It was my first .22. I have the Belgium made version (no longer made). I think they're now made in Japan, but they're still very fine guns. They don't have a magazine though, which will be a point of contention for most people. I somehow managed to guilt my dad into giving this gun to me when I was 10 years old, since he had a browning .22 lever action.

Lever actions and bolt actions. On average, I think these will be more accurate than semi-automatic rifles, not as much due to the action movement while firing, but more because these actions seem to also come with longer barrels than their semi-automatic counterparts. If you want to be able to shoot the other .22 variants besides .22LR, lever action or bolt action are the way to go, typically. That said, .22 short and .22 long will be less accurate than .22LR in a rifle that shoots all 3 (due to the distance between the rifling and the round when it's chambered).

Bolt actions are a good configuration when you're shooting from a bench, shooting prone. I prefer lever action when I'm standing or moving.

I've heard good things about many of the .22 Lever Actions out there (Henry (my name btw), Winchester, etc.) and know from personal experience that the Browning lever action is just awesome (the others are probably equal, since they seem to have such high praise).

I haven't really looked at bolt actions.

Bert Gamble
04-27-2012, 5:12 AM
Thanks for the questions. Hope the answers help.

I think your choice depends heavily on what features you want.

Decide what your must have features are and what features you might like to have and you can significantly pair down your options from there.

Magazine fed or tube loader?

I think a magazine would be best.

Wood stock or composite/other?

Don't care.

Barrel detachment for backpack transport desired?

Might be a good idea.

Ability to accept .22 short and long in addition to the standard long rifle?

Never thought about it. In fact, I didn't know there were different .22 rounds.

How significant are your concerns on weight?

Not too concerned and long as it's not really heavy.

Are you interested in modifying the gun for better performance or do you favor out of box performance?

I think I would like good out of the box performance.

Do you need extended magazines?

I don't think so.

Do you want a semi-automatic rifle, or would you prefer lever action/bolt action?

No real preference, but the lever action sounds pretty cool.

Good stock sites required, or willing to upgrade?

I want a scope, so sights are less important.

Will you clean the gun regularly after use?

I do with all my guns.

Would you prefer a highly polished finish or a rougher finish (i.e. something you will cherish, or something you can not worry as much about small dings)?

Something that can take a beating.

Prefer Blued, Stainless, or Coated finish?

No preference.

Bert Gamble
04-27-2012, 5:14 AM
Ruger 10/22 With a Simmons Magnum 22 scope and Usgi sling...done

Thanks. I like doing things the easy way. Does the Simmons Magnum 22 scope come in different powers, or just the one?

scoot64
04-27-2012, 5:31 AM
For the price Ruger 10/22 with Simmons scope - Easily modified lots of parts available.

If you can find something similar to a Winchester model 62 those are fun it's a tube fed pump action with a long barrel. I shoot colibri out of mine and it's sounds like a BB gun. I just don't know how easy it is to scope them.

scoot64
04-27-2012, 5:32 AM
The simmons Magnum is a 3-9 variable

Bert Gamble
04-27-2012, 5:49 AM
I had no idea that 22 rifles came in lever action. Now I know that I will get one of those. We are narrowing things down.

I did a Yahoo search and found Henry rifles and Marlin both have lever guns. The Marlin is a lot more expensive though. Is it worth the extra $250?

I see that they both hold more than 10 rounds in their tubes. Does that have to be blocked off for California? Would the Simmons Magnum scope still be the one to get for one of these?

scoot64
04-27-2012, 6:14 AM
Marlin is pretty solid on all their lever action guns, I've got one in 30-30 that was made by marlin for sears roebuck & co. Haven't done enough research on lever action .22's to really give any advice on them. I would think the simmons would still be the way to go for an affordable scope if anything your just changing the mount. I've got one on my 10/22 I'm happy with it. I don't think you have to worry about tube capacity in California, but I would double check yourself just to make sure.

sholling
04-27-2012, 8:01 AM
The semiautomatic Ruger 10/22 ($210-300) can be a lot of fun (I own a half dozen) especially if you want to get into modifying them. They're fun, reliable, rugged, and have a bazillion accessories available. They're only moderately accurate out of the box but have the potential for serious accuracy with a bit of money (parts) and DIY work. The choice of a scope for a 10/22 depends on the use but I don't believe in buying and fighting with crappy scopes. For hunting and plinking I'd go with a Weaver RV7 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire.

The other option that I like is the CZ455 American (~$400). The CZ is a beautiful bolt action with extremely good accuracy. I'd scope a fine rifle like this with either a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 w/BDC or better yet a Weaver V16 4-16x42. These are awesome little rifles.

http://www.cz-usa.com/assets/cache/1a/b8/1ab826199a69ea182a3e2b08089e7f8d.png

If you're new to rifles I strongly suggest taking an Appleseed (http://appleseedinfo.org/) course. It's two days of high quality training for dirt cheap.

NOTABIKER
04-27-2012, 8:28 AM
nothing better than a Savage mark 2 . it is the best shooter out of the box Mark 2 G is cheep.

pennys dad
04-27-2012, 8:29 AM
+1 to Sholling
I would also add the Marlin 795 to the list.

Dont be blinded by the high dollar, Marlin 795 feel cheap but out of the box are excellent shooters.

Izzy43
04-27-2012, 8:36 AM
I had no idea that 22 rifles came in lever action. Now I know that I will get one of those. We are narrowing things down.

I did a Yahoo search and found Henry rifles and Marlin both have lever guns. The Marlin is a lot more expensive though. Is it worth the extra $250?

I see that they both hold more than 10 rounds in their tubes. Does that have to be blocked off for California? Would the Simmons Magnum scope still be the one to get for one of these?

Sounds like you are leaning towards a lever action .22. Of the two that you mentioned the Marlin 39A is the top of the line for levers. Is it worth and extra $250 over the Henry, not in my estimation. I recently purchased a Henry Frontier lever action and couldn't be more pleased. I'll try to give you my evaluation of the Henry.

1. The action on the gun is very smooth.
2. After 1000 rounds thru the gun it has never jammed, misfeed, misfired or failed to eject an empty cartridge.
3. It will shoot .22shorts, longs or long rifle ammo.
4. It is a light rifle compared to most others, even with a scope installed.
5. Has a true walnut stock.
6. Accurate enough for plinking and hunting small critters out to 75yds with a 4X scope and inexpensive bulk ammunition.
7. I have shot 10 different brands and types of ammunition in the rifle without issue.
8. The rifle feels a little small in the hand but it is designed to be a hunting/plinking rifle and not a target rifle. I could carry it all day in the woods without a problem.

The warranty on the Henry is lifetime and the customer service is the best in the industry. You have a problem, they fix it or give you a new rifle. All emails answered by the company President.

For a scope I recommend one of the following for general hunting/plinking/casual target shooting.

Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 4X ($109-$50 rebate with free shipping and no tax from OpticsPlanet) This is the scope that I have on my Henry and in my opinion its the best $59 you'll ever spend on a scope. Very clear and bright, a good scope for 15-75yds for hunting/plinking.

Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9X40MM BDC ($149-$50 rebate with free shipping and no tax from OpticsPlanet) I have this scope on another rifle but it would work on the Henry as well and provide more magnification for longer range shooting but adjusted down to lower magnification for closer shooting. I had a Simmons 3-9X scope and the Prostaff has significantly better optics, turrets, build quality and warranty.

If you are interested in one of the Prostaff scopes, better order today or tomorrow as the $50 rebate offer ends @ midnight 28 April.

Good luck with your choices.

My Henry Frontier with Prostaff 4X scope. The Henry H001 lever is a fine rifle as well and less expensive. Only difference is the Frontier has an octagon barrel, better iron sights and is 2" longer.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7228/7118772669_20c2a14f0c_c.jpg

Dannicus
04-27-2012, 8:47 AM
Henry's are pretty nice, but the one I had was not accurate. Point of impact shifted vertically by up to 6 inches at 50 yards as it warmed up. It might have just been mine, but I've never seen that kind of stringing in any other rifle I've owned.

Izzy43
04-27-2012, 8:55 AM
Henry's are pretty nice, but the one I had was not accurate. Point of impact shifted vertically by up to 6 inches at 50 yards as it warmed up. It might have just been mine, but I've never seen that kind of stringing in any other rifle I've owned.

Have you contacted Henry Customer Service about this? Send an email from their website describing the issue. I would think they would make it right.

brreed1993
04-27-2012, 9:35 AM
Depends on what you're looking for. If you want a nice, cheap out of the box, go with a Marlin 795. It's accurate out of box and around 150 i think, however it has a small aftermarket if you would want to change more of the rifle later. If you want a nice rifle with a great after market, go with a Ruger 10/22. It's a little bit more pricey (i just got mine on sale for 210 but they normally sell for around 240), but it has a much larger aftermarket and can be a better rifle in the end if you put some money into it.

For scope either go with Simmons 22 mag or if you have more money go with Nikon Profstaff.

Bert Gamble
04-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Ordered the Nikon ProStaff Rimfire 3-9x40mm Riflescope, Matte w/ BDC 150 Reticle. The $50 off is a mail in rebate so I will probably never see that. I am notoriously bad about sending those in.

I will look around for a good price on the Henry.

tbhracing
04-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Tagged