PDA

View Full Version : No to HR 1022, "Assault Weapons Ban" Petition

one417
04-28-2007, 9:56 PM
No to HR 1022, "Assault Weapons Ban" Petition

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348?ltl=1172448514

Just a reminder: Have you signed it yet? Pass it on to as many people as possible. It only takes 30 seconds....:)

M. Sage
04-28-2007, 10:00 PM
No, but I've contacted my representative about it... twice.

Honestly, I don't think this has a chance in hell of passing. It still doesn't have much support...

Prc329
04-28-2007, 10:14 PM
Do these polls actually work?

Oh and I contacted my rep regarding it.

Technical Ted
04-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Do these polls actually work?
No. To easy to make up fake signatories and impossible to verify that the signatories are actually registered voters.

Pretty much pissing against the wind.

one417
04-28-2007, 10:27 PM
No. To easy to make up fake signatories and impossible to verify that the signatories are actually registered voters.

Pretty much pissing against the wind.

True, but IF it does and gets the attention of the right people, then you've done your part. I can't believe that Calgunners are debating whether it'll work or not :mad: Just "git er done"....Thanks for participating.

M. Sage
04-28-2007, 10:35 PM
I think the point is more that it's better to just write your representative. I don't think these online petitions actually grab anybody's attention, but tons of letters.... that works.

Technical Ted
04-28-2007, 10:40 PM
I think the point is more that it's better to just write your representative. I don't think these online petitions actually grab anybody's attention, but tons of letters.... that works.
Yes. Communications from 100 individuals gets more attention than a petition from petitionsite.com with 10,000 "signatures".

A couple of years ago some of us here did an experiment. We created our own petition and managed to create nearly 100 signatories, most of whom were non-existent. Ryan never did get that little red Porsche and he was so upset, he moved to Texas.

Petitions are only effective if the signatories can be verified to be real people, and in the case of political petitions, registered voters.

Besides, this is a duplicate thread from over a month ago:
http://64.151.69.37/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=52812&highlight=1022

...and February:
http://64.151.69.37/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=50305&highlight=1022

bwiese
04-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Yep, and a phone call/discussion uses a representative's staffer's time.

Time expended for 'constituent relations' is time diverted from fundraising and other more pressing afairs. Be the squeaky wheel.

I don't know why people don't get a friggin' clue: an online petition is worth the paper it's printed on. It is in fact dangerous, because people will actually (falsely) think they've done their part and done something useful, when in fact they have not.

I would not be surprised if Brady types even start running these petitions as a diversionary tactic to reduce our 'dwell time' in calls to legislators.

STOP THIS USELESS, NAIVE CRAP.

Prc329
04-28-2007, 11:35 PM
So what is the most effective? Email, written letter, fax, call?

bwiese
04-28-2007, 11:41 PM
So what is the most effective? Email, written letter, fax, call?

Emails can be useful.

Written letters say "I really give a damn" and seem to count for a lot.

Calls actually burn up staff time. Faxes can take fax time too and block other incoming faxes.

If you're taking the time to write a letter on a PC, you might as well fax it and email it too since it takes only a few seconds extra!

Prc329
04-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Sorry to hijack. I need to get more involved. Time to stop being a bystander :) I have sent a few emails but was curious if they actually matter. Spam filters may just kick them out. I'll take the emails I wrote and fax them as well.

xenophobe
04-29-2007, 5:57 AM
Emails can be useful.

Written letters say "I really give a damn" and seem to count for a lot.

Calls actually burn up staff time. Faxes can take fax time too and block other incoming faxes.

If you're taking the time to write a letter on a PC, you might as well fax it and email it too since it takes only a few seconds extra!

A legible handwritten letter is probably the most powerful signal you can send, and one they will pay more attention to when they receive it. In this day and age, it might actually make it to your representative instead of just chalking one up on the consensus chalk board...

M. Sage
04-29-2007, 9:10 AM
Sorry to hijack. I need to get more involved. Time to stop being a bystander :) I have sent a few emails but was curious if they actually matter. Spam filters may just kick them out. I'll take the emails I wrote and fax them as well.

You'll know if you get hit by a spam filter if you don't get a confirmation "we've recieved your email" message. Basically, make sure your email isn't all caps. Don't forget to put your name and home city at the signature, etc etc....

one417
04-29-2007, 9:57 AM
I always knew there was a difference....:(

http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5436084761/m/1761052203

Technical Ted
04-29-2007, 10:06 AM
I always knew there was a difference....:(
You so tactical! I call you Tactical Man! Cuz you one.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/490822.png

Just because you hang out at lightfighter don't make you a high speed low drag operator with cajones to the floor...er maybe it does at the mall, but it doesn't make you any brighter than people who actually work around computers all day for a living. Or who've been around long enough to know how politics really work.

Go ahead and shoot blanks at an internet petition, but don't be surprised when the authors announce that they have received a bundles of mail, calls and faxes in support of HR1022.

I swear, reading the thread over there just makes me realize how fat lazy and stupid the internet generation has become.

M. Sage
04-29-2007, 10:13 AM
I can't view that without registering, which I don't feel like... What's the link about?

Sorry if you feel we're crapping on your idea. Just see what Technical Ted said, for one thing. And think about it... If everybody signing the online petition were to do three things, all of which take just a little more time than the petition, the effect would be better.

Compose an email to your representative.
Copy and paste the email to a notebook program to print it.
Sign the printed copy, stuff it in an envelope and mail it to your rep.

Your letters don't even have to be filled with flowery prose, just literate and strongly-worded with points illustrating WHY you support or oppose a certain piece of legislation.

Just those things. Simple things, really. But they'll make a HUGE impact if we do them in numbers.

Last year, when we got all the anti-gun BS shot down, did we do it with online petitions? Hell, no. We did it through massive amounts of emails and letters, showing up at hearings, and phone calls. This stuff works, and it's proven to work. Why go with anything but something that's been proven time and again?

I just want to say that last year, CalGuns and its members PROVED that we can be effective in fighting anti-gun legislation. The tactics Bill, Ted and I mentioned are the ones that were used, and used successfully.

Keep up the emails, letter and calls, people.

Technical Ted
04-29-2007, 11:43 AM
I can't view that without registering, which I don't feel like... What's the link about?
Basically a unanimous round of people posting "Done" after they've signed the online petition.

A couple aren't even located in the US.

Just goes to show that this online petition is worthless.