PDA

View Full Version : Rifle or handgun for first gun?

phaseshift
04-26-2012, 6:32 PM
Trying to decide whether to spend the extra money on an AR or get a handgun first and then get the AR later down the road. What do you guys think?

NorCalK9.com
04-26-2012, 6:36 PM
Id say get a rifle first. But i'd like to reccomend an AK74!
But then again a pistol will be good too. Ahh screw it get an ak74 for about $700 and a glock for $500 and youre good to go.

NorCalK9.com
04-26-2012, 6:37 PM
Ohh and a mossberg500 12guage.
Thats an arsenal that cant be rivaled!

jpm804
04-26-2012, 6:42 PM
I'd say which one gives you the opportunity to shoot more...while i like shooting both.

It's definitely easier for me to take handguns out to shoot then my rifle. Also slightly cheaper to shot my handguns (since 9mm) then my rifles (.223/5.56)

But I don't think you go wrong with either choice..My .02

Lives_In_Fresno
04-26-2012, 6:43 PM
Trying to decide whether to spend the extra money on an AR or get a handgun first and then get the AR later down the road. What do you guys think?

If you will only use it to practice, then perhaps get the rifle.

If it will also possibly be used for home defense, I recommend a handgun.

stocksuspension
04-26-2012, 7:02 PM
Get a rifle first. Cheaper and you will have more fun

JohnZ
04-26-2012, 7:22 PM
The AR. More power, more accuracy, better for home defense considering the fragmentation of .223 ammo such as fmj or special defense stuff.

Arkangel
04-26-2012, 7:39 PM
Between those two... I say handgun, learning the fundamentals will be harder, but if you can shoot a handgun well, then you should be able to translate that to a rifle. The opposite is not always true.

My .02....

Goodluck.

CSACANNONEER
04-26-2012, 7:41 PM
A .22lr rifle is the best first gun anyone could get. Oh, I prefer non semi autos as first guns. I would rather someone learns to shoot well than just learns to spray and pray.

roushstage2
04-26-2012, 7:48 PM
I have many rifles, and finally just got my first handgun. A .22LR rifle is a great starter firearm, plus, you'll always end up shooting it a lot! Win/win.

Tanner68
04-26-2012, 7:57 PM
I don't think I am opening a can of worms here... you need four basic arms....
-handgun
-shotgun
-small bore or medium bore rifle
-22 rifle

It is only four guns, so get whatever you have the most enthusiasm for. But like CSA says, the 22 is the one to learn from. If you can dope the wind and drop them in from far away with a 22, learn form and trigger control and breathing and everything else, you will be GTG with the other guns.

phaseshift
04-26-2012, 8:37 PM
Oh I forgot to mention I've had lots of time at the range with an m16, prior enlisted veteran here. I would say that I'm a good shot with a rifle.

Ninjapilot
04-26-2012, 8:44 PM
I was in the same boat as you a few months ago between AR15 and a handgun for the first buy. I ended buying a Mossberg 500 instead since I got a deal but yes now Im still debating AR or handgun for the second buy. I think the budget and the purpose will help you determine which one first. just my modest opinion.

NorCalK9.com
04-26-2012, 8:50 PM
Just get this one.
12 per round
As deadly or deadlier than 556
Most reliable platform on the planet
And good accuracy

http://i.imgur.com/MIfRd.jpg

CAGLS
04-26-2012, 9:04 PM
Since Feb this year my 1st was a CZ P-01 9mm, 2nd Saiga 12, 3rd Saiga IZH 340 basically a semi auto Ak74 chambered for 5.45 x 39. Next is a CZ 97B 45 ACP then a Saiga IZH 332 AK47 7.62 x 39.

Catalyst81
04-26-2012, 9:09 PM
I'd say whatever you think you'll shoot more. I went shotgun - handgun - .22 rifle - AR. I went with the shotgun first for HD. Between the rifle and handgun, it was a toss up, but I have friends who shoot handguns so went with that because I go with them.

Sheperd80
04-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Ohh and a mossberg500 12guage.
Thats an arsenal that cant be rivaled!

+1 i always tell people to get a shotty first. Its probably the most versatile and affordable gun u can get to start. Great for home defense, cheap to practice, and also capable of hunting.

I bought a mossberg 590 because well.... theyre awesome. but if u get the 500 its cheaper and even more versatile if u get the kit that comes with an extra hunting barrel.

alfred1222
04-26-2012, 10:48 PM
im voting rifle or shotgun

tacticalcity
04-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Honestly you will probably shoot the handgun more often. Eventually you'll end up getting both. But the handgun will get the most use.

Make a training course a top priority as well, regardless of what you get. It is all well and good to own a cool gun like a Glock or an AR (my two favorites) but it is kinda pointless if you can't shoot worth a darn.

Here in Sacramento I recommend www.gofast1.com they have 1 day affordable courses, Tactical Pistol I is coming up in May. If you plan to travel www.frontsight.com outside Vegas is fun, but pricey (get a first time student certificate online and save some serious money if you go that route). If you are no where near Sacramento and want a small, affordable, local school search the Competition, Action Shooting, and Training Section on the Calguns main page for a school near you. Odds are there is atleast one.

MrExel17
04-26-2012, 10:56 PM
+1 for the handgun first pick! Good luck

ChaneRZ
04-26-2012, 11:52 PM
handgun then rifle

MrPlink
04-26-2012, 11:56 PM
Honestly you will probably shoot the handgun more often. Eventually you'll end up getting both. But the handgun will get the most use.

and this is based on what?

Thats like telling somebody what THEIR FAVORITE color is more likely to be.

A .22lr rifle is the best first gun anyone could get. Oh, I prefer non semi autos as first guns. I would rather someone learns to shoot well than just learns to spray and pray.

best option all around.

Nothing but building fundamentals.

Frankcis
04-27-2012, 3:27 AM
I say handgun for quick cleaning after range use.

scoot64
04-27-2012, 3:38 AM
If I recall correctly my first gun was a mossberg 500 followed by a 38 snubnose. I've used the 38 allot more, but it was my ccw weapon for a long time.

the86d
04-27-2012, 3:44 AM
Rifle is more fun for long range (moving varmints make a good day), but I wish I got a pistol for home defense 1st. This would have saved me a bunch of worry about how to access it quickly, how to lock it up to keep the kids safe, etc. If you are going to get a pistol 1st, get a GunVault or better, this way you can keep it locked AND loaded.

Maybe a Pistol (9mm, .40, or 45), AND a 10/22TD would be a good combo to start with? :)

04-27-2012, 4:21 AM
Handgun first. Easier to store/secure, transport, more places to shoot it (indoor ranges) and generally less expensive to shoot.

fullspeed1
04-27-2012, 5:21 AM
Only time I get more use out of my rifle is during a 2 day class, Or when I travel out of the state. My AR will never be my choice for home defense, Way too much litigation. I had my 870 for about 2 years and put 8 rounds of buckshot through it, Needless to say I sold it. My pistols have got the most use by far, And are my home defense option. Even with the Dillon 550 setup for both rifle and pistols and with plenty of supplies, My handguns get more love than anything else.

sanjosebmx
04-27-2012, 5:30 AM
I have access to a nice indoor handgun only range, so that was my choice.. I've got a 12guage (home defense type) and have nowhere locally to shoot it..

Shopping for a rifle....but have to do another membership at an outdoor range...for me the handgun range is just so convenient that I get to shoot it a lot..

JTROKS
04-27-2012, 5:42 AM
I would say handgun due to the chance of it being shot more often than a rifle.

rubber duckie
04-27-2012, 7:05 AM
Depends on where you live, where you will be shooting. If your range time is mostly indoors then go pistol. If you live in an area where you can shoot outdoors more frequently then get a rifle or shotgun.

I live about 45-60 mins from an outdoor range, so when I bought my first rifle it just sat and sat. But being 10 mins from an indoor range i was able to shoot my handguns more often.

gorenut
04-27-2012, 8:21 AM
Depends on where you live, where you will be shooting. If your range time is mostly indoors then go pistol. If you live in an area where you can shoot outdoors more frequently then get a rifle or shotgun.

I live about 45-60 mins from an outdoor range, so when I bought my first rifle it just sat and sat. But being 10 mins from an indoor range i was able to shoot my handguns more often.

Pretty much agree with this and I'm in the same situation, handgun range is much closer than rifle so I definitely shoot handguns more.

Daniel_Sti
04-27-2012, 8:23 AM
Handgun!

Oceanbob
04-27-2012, 8:34 AM
It's only a matter of time before you have everything. :cool2:

Since it's your First gun I'am going against the flow and give you my advise.

1. Get a good .22 pistol. Less money than say a Glock, 1911, CZ, Sig, etc and ammo is affordable. Everyone should have a good .22 pistol in their collection. Practice makes perfect and you will enjoy this handgun.

2. Since you have saved some serious $ on the .22 Pistol; when you buy it add a bare off list AR lower ($120 or so) to the DROS. Pick up both at the end of your 10 day wait. Shove the Lower into the Safe or your secure locked storage box (COSCO).

3. When you get an extra $150 buck (approx) start buying the lower parts kit to finish up the AR lower. Later just buy an upper of your choice and you're good to go.

4. As a side note, when you buy a rifle or shotgun the serial numbers, make and model are not recorded by the CDOJ. They do keep that info for handguns, but not for rifles..etc. HOWEVER..starting in 2014 Rifles and shotguns will be REGISTERED at the DROS time. So my advice to EVERYBODY is to buy plenty of longguns, plenty of AR lowers NOW....save them for family and the future.

Am I paranoid? You bet. But I consider buying bare AR lowers a cheap investment.

john.t.singh
04-27-2012, 8:41 AM
go handgun. You will most likely end up shooting a handgun more often than a rifle if you live in a city or suburbia. Most ranges indoor are only out to 25Meters which basically is stupidly boring with an AR.

My biggest regret was not knowing anything about guns and buying an AR early on. Since I didn't know anything I bought a pre-built AR. That has long been sold and at a huge loss. Get familiar with firearms. A pistol will be more useful, probably a bit cheaper, and help get you acquainted with firearms.

Strykeback
04-27-2012, 8:43 AM
I was about to ask the same question and post a thread since Ive been wanting to SSE a cz sp-01 tactical, but there arent any available. Then I started looking to try to get a PPQ, again nothing available so I figured while I wait maybe Il snap up a Daniel Defense AR since I can get a great deal on one, i can go regularly with coworkers or friends to the outdoor range and most importantly they are actually available...

However I made the mistake of asking my fiancee which one she'd like to shoot first and she had a fit. Handgun for defense yes. An AR to "waste" money shooting isnt the best idea apparently since we are getting our new place and married in the next couple weeks and then a baby arriving in a couple months....

So basically, you'rr not allowed to have anything more then a handgun either! ;)

Chumpmenudo
04-27-2012, 9:30 AM
I would advise handgun. I went shotgun, handgun, AR15, handgun again! The handgun is my choice for home defense because I have young kids in the house. I keep it in easy (for me) to access safe under my bed. It would be a bit tougher to have an AR or shotgun readily available.

Good luck!

NorCalK9.com
04-27-2012, 9:45 AM
I dont know where these people get their info that you'll shoot a handgun more than a rifle.
I personally, and most of my friends shoot our rifles 10-1. Meaning we take n shoot our rifles almost all the time.
When I started shooting rifles again I was limited to sitting on a bench and that got boring REAL FAST! But once I got access to stand, kneel, and move while shooting my rifles "AK74" I enjoyed it much more.
Theres nothing wrong with a pistol either. I love my glocks, and as of recently since I got my glock23 I shoot alot of that pistol. And might I add compared to my rifle skills I kind of suck with the pistol lol.
In the end its up to you op. Dont listen to me nor the rest if the crowd, get what you think you're gonna enjoy the most.
But for me rifles are much more fun!
Good luck and please let us know your decision. Me n some friends made a pool with what your first gun will be. Shotgun is 100-1 payoff rite now lol

chunker
04-27-2012, 10:26 AM
I'd go with handgun. Easier to store and transport =)

fullspeed1
04-27-2012, 1:37 PM
I dont know where these people get their info that you'll shoot a handgun more than a rifle.
I personally, and most of my friends shoot our rifles 10-1. Meaning we take n shoot our rifles almost all the time.
When I started shooting rifles again I was limited to sitting on a bench and that got boring REAL FAST! But once I got access to stand, kneel, and move while shooting my rifles "AK74" I enjoyed it much more.
Theres nothing wrong with a pistol either. I love my glocks, and as of recently since I got my glock23 I shoot alot of that pistol. And might I add compared to my rifle skills I kind of suck with the pistol lol.
In the end its up to you op. Dont listen to me nor the rest if the crowd, get what you think you're gonna enjoy the most.
But for me rifles are much more fun!
Good luck and please let us know your decision. Me n some friends made a pool with what your first gun will be. Shotgun is 100-1 payoff rite now lol

He asked for our suggestions....Seriously?!! A wager on some dude on Calguns?

nocomply25
04-27-2012, 1:56 PM
[QUOTE=fullspeed1;8480880]He asked for our suggestions....Seriously?!! A wager on some dude on Calguns?[/QUOTE

To bad i cant get in on that action....

tacticalcity
04-27-2012, 2:20 PM
and this is based on what?

Thats like telling somebody what THEIR FAVORITE color is more likely to be.

best option all around.

Nothing but building fundamentals.

Attend a lot of courses, the subject comes up often enough during the breaks or during the lectures to form a concencus - unscientific as it may be. Plus I've been on forums like this one long enough to see the question come up many, many times and people most often say they spend more range time on their handguns than on their rifles. If it were just me saying what I prefer, I would have qualified it that way.

I have nothing personally invested. I am just suggesting that he will get something he will actually shoot and shoot often, whatever that may be.

I see countless guys buying something, then it collects dust in their closet (they usually don't own a safe yet). Especially guys who buy shotguns for their first gun (non-hunters who think it is the ultimate home defense weapon even though they can barely load it and have no idea how it patterns at various distances or how to work the manual of arms or clear a malfunciton and so on).

Guns are not something you buy, stick in the closet or drawer, then miraculously rise to the occassion when you need them for self defense. You need to get some real training, and put in lots of trigger and drill time, before you will be any darn good with it - whatever it is. The good news is, that process is a heck of a lot of fun.

That's why I encourage him to focus on what he thinks he will actually shoot the most, and not what somebody tells him is best. If for him, that is not the handgun, so be it. For me, and the majority of shooters I've heard talk about it, the handgun comes out to be the one most often dusted off for range day.

fullspeed1
04-27-2012, 2:34 PM
Attend a lot of courses, the subject comes up often enough during the breaks or during the lectures to form a concencus - unscientific as it may be. Plus I've been on forums like this one long enough to see the question come up many, many times and people most often say they spend more range time on their handguns than on their rifles. If it were just me saying what I prefer, I would have qualified it that way.

I have nothing personally invested. I am just suggesting that he will get something he will actually shoot and shoot often, whatever that may be.

I see countless guys buying something, then it collects dust in their closet (they usually don't own a safe yet). Especially guys who buy shotguns for their first gun (non-hunters who think it is the ultimate home defense weapon even though they can barely load it and have no idea how it patterns at various distances or how to work the manual of arms or clear a malfunciton and so on).

Guns are not something you buy, stick in the closet or drawer, then miraculously rise to the occassion when you need them for self defense. You need to get some real training, and put in lots of trigger and drill time, before you will be any darn good with it.

That's why I encourage him to focus on what he thinks he will actually shoot the most.

This makes sense, And seems like the reasonable feedback the OP is looking for. Anybody that asks an opened ended question on Calguns should be ready for/open to anything and everything.

gsparesa
04-27-2012, 3:20 PM
You need zGlock, Sohn. (English)
Sie brauchen eine Glock, Sohn. (German)

wurger
04-27-2012, 4:03 PM
If you can afford it, just get both and get it over with. If you get one, sooner or later you will probably get the other.

An option with an AR is to get a 22lr upper. Check your local range, you may be able to shoot pistol caliber rifles. I'm lucky in that my local range will allow centerfire rifles in a few lanes, and pistol caliber rifles in all lanes.

04-27-2012, 6:13 PM

Where? From reality.

:laugh:

kb58
04-27-2012, 6:55 PM
That's like asking, "Hey guys, should I get a Prius now and a 4x4 later, or the 4x4 now" and not explaining further. What's it for? What's the goal(s?) What's the budget?... what's your favorite color? Boing.....

Bw511
04-27-2012, 9:14 PM
I'm a little too new to be giving advice, but I certainly don't regret buying my handgun first. It took a little longer to save for, and a lot longer to tune in trigger control (as far as I have, anyway), but I haven't picked up anything since that I can't shoot as least as well as that little 4" barrel.

NorCalK9.com
04-28-2012, 8:06 AM
If you go to any outdoor range you'll notice the rifle side usually dominates.

coy80176
04-28-2012, 8:30 PM
handgun, shotgun, and rifle...somewhere in there add a .22 so that you can have tons of trigger time and ammo stocked for not much $:oji:

Squidward
04-29-2012, 12:13 PM
What you'll shoot probably depends upon where you'll shoot. Some indoor ranges don't allow rifles/shotguns at all; some .22lr rifles only. Outdoor ranges usually allow everything listed above.

If your 'first gun' means you've not ever shot before, go get professional instruction first and then rent whatever interests you to narrow down your choices.

Otherwise, here's my two cents. Get a .22LR. .22LR ammo is inexpensive and is acceptable to shoot at both indoor and outdoor ranges. For the price of one center fire handgun or rifle you may be able to buy a .22LR handgun AND .22LR rifle.

Good luck.

teflondog
04-29-2012, 2:31 PM
My vote goes to a handgun. You can use a handgun at both indoor and outdoor ranges so you're not limited on where you can shoot. I think mastering the fundamentals of shooting handgun translates very well to rifle shooting with iron sights. FWIW when I shot a rifle for the very first time, I found it extremely easy to group well compared to shooting a handgun. The longer sight radius makes it a breeze. My friends (who are all rifle guys) struggle to hit the 10 when shooting handguns.