PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 4X scope

Izzy43
04-26-2012, 2:25 PM
Got one yesterday for my Henry Frontier. Time is short to take advantage of the $50 rebate, last day is 28 April. I was impressed with the scope, very clear and bright and in focus from 15yds to the end of my eyesight. Adjustments are firm, audible clicks with no backlash and can be reset to zero by simply pulling up (elev) or out (wind) to reset. Has generous eye relief.

Zeroed quickly at 25yds and shooting orange clay pidgeons @ 75yds, then picking off the pieces.

Only detractors that I see are the plastic turret covers and the rear ocular is actually larger than the front objective. More of a cosmetic thing than functional.

For anyone wanting a 4X scope at a very reasonable price for a very nice scope I wouldn't pass this up.

facn650
04-26-2012, 4:31 PM
I ended up doing the same thing to take advantage of the rebate :) Took the 3-9x40 BDC off and mounted the 4x32 with low rings. I like the scope better on the 10/22 and I'll try the 3-9x40 on the CZ Ultra Lux, although I'll most likely keep it with irons.

I'm taking the 10/22 to Appleseed in a couple of weeks so the 4x32 will be perfect for that.
Thanks for steering me towards these scopes in the first place, I like them both a lot. I have not shot the 4x32 yet but the 3-9x40 is very clear and the BDC reticle works really well.

BTW, both the 3-9x40 and the 4x32 have the plastic turret covers.

Izzy43
04-26-2012, 5:20 PM
I ended up doing the same thing to take advantage of the rebate :) Took the 3-9x40 BDC off and mounted the 4x32 with low rings. I like the scope better on the 10/22 and I'll try the 3-9x40 on the CZ Ultra Lux, although I'll most likely keep it with irons.

I'm taking the 10/22 to Appleseed in a couple of weeks so the 4x32 will be perfect for that.
Thanks for steering me towards these scopes in the first place, I like them both a lot. I have not shot the 4x32 yet but the 3-9x40 is very clear and the BDC reticle works really well.

I got the same two scopes as you. I had the BDC on my Ultralux with medium height rings and fit very well. Shooting 2" bulls eyes @ 50 yds were a breeze. I think the scopes have exceptional glass for their price point. Nice to be satisfied with a purchase.

I think the 4x is perfect for the 10/22 and Appleseed.

orthopod
04-26-2012, 9:51 PM
I am considering doing an Appleseed in the near future (hopefully) with my 10/22. Currently it has a Hogue stock with a cut out for a future bull barrel. I thought about using the tech sight rear with the tech sight front for bull barrels for Appleseed. Would using the 4X scope be a better idea? I am still stuck between which one of the 3 Nikons to get or whether I should just get a Mueller APV?! I have been having a lot of fun just shooting with the stock barrel and iron sights at the range though!

tiller
04-27-2012, 11:45 AM
I am considering doing an Appleseed in the near future (hopefully) with my 10/22. Currently it has a Hogue stock with a cut out for a future bull barrel. I thought about using the tech sight rear with the tech sight front for bull barrels for Appleseed. Would using the 4X scope be a better idea? I am still stuck between which one of the 3 Nikons to get or whether I should just get a Mueller APV?! I have been having a lot of fun just shooting with the stock barrel and iron sights at the range though!

Go with the 3 x9 you can always dile down... I bought 2 3x9's and a 4 power! I like them soo much...

Plus with the bdc nikon has an app thats pretty bad ***! But they updated it and it doesnt work at the moment

orthopod
04-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Would the app be useful for target shooting at the range??...I don't plan to ever hunt with the rifle outside of a shtf situation but I plan to do a lot of target shooting.

Izzy43
04-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Would the app be useful for target shooting at the range??...I don't plan to ever hunt with the rifle outside of a shtf situation but I plan to do a lot of target shooting.

The Mueller APV is a fine scope at its price point. I owned on but sold it as I felt the crosshairs were a little too thick for the type of target shooting that I wanted to do. Absolutely nothing wrong with the scope otherwise. Very clear and bright.

Two differences in the APV and the Nikon 3-9x to consider are the size, the Nikon will be a little shorter than the APV which might look better on your rifle. The APV has more magnification than the Nikon which is a plus for longer ranges. For an Appleseed I would think either would work since you can dial the magnification down.

I would pass on the Nikon 4X as it is ok for target shooting @ 25yds but I think you would not be satisfied with it @ 50yds and beyond. For 50yd target shooting the Nikon 3-9x will be ok but not the greatest and beyond 50yds you probably would be disappointed. For what you have described as your use of the rifle/scope combo, if I could only choose between the Nikon and the Mueller, it would be the Mueller as the more versatile scope.

For Scope Ratings look here: http://www.chuckhawks.com/recommended_riflescopes.htm

Nikon Prostaff is rated 2+ stars, the APV is rated 2 stars.

bman940
04-28-2012, 4:37 AM
Guy's, Make sure you take advantage of Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to get the most accuracy out of your BDC Reticle. Enoter your scope, Ammo and even atmospheric conditions if you want and hit fire, very cool and helpful. Go to
Nikonhunting.com, click Spot On,Register and have fun. It's all free. Even an App you can buy for your iphone/Android devices.

You guys did great scoring those Scopes! They have literally been flying off the shelves as soon as they hit retailers. Thanks for posting, I'd love to see pic's of them mounted to your rifles, give others ideas for different applications.

Here's a pic of the P-223 3x Carbine scope on my DPMS

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/P-223DPMS3X.png

BigBoyPinoy
04-28-2012, 6:12 AM
Great scope for the price of $35 after rebate and Google deals!

thepunisher
05-06-2012, 11:18 AM
I got my 3x9 mounted on my Marlin 60, it is a lot of scope for that gun. The glass is clear and I look forward to taking it out to the range.

waho
05-22-2012, 7:02 PM
Has anyone gotten their rebate yet?

Dirtbikindad393
05-22-2012, 8:51 PM
Nope still waiting.

frdman
05-22-2012, 9:13 PM
On the rebate form, it says you can check your rebate status on http://rebateinquiryonline.com/

My info doesn't even show up on there yet. How about you guys?

RimReaper
05-22-2012, 9:33 PM
My info was in there using that link. Said valid submission received. Haven't gotten it yet though.

Izzy43
05-23-2012, 6:42 AM
My info was there (3) but no mention of "valid" and $$ amount of rebate listed as $00.00.

TMcC
05-23-2012, 9:15 AM

Plastic covers threaded onto steel/alum :)

I picked up the 3-9x40, really a great scope for the price. I think I may grab one of the 4x32's before the deadline. I think these are probably the best deal out there right now (for rimfire).

Thread Hijack: There are a few threads on mounts (including one about mounting to a Ruger 10/22 take down). If you plan on putting the 3-9x40 on a 10/22 carbine model, the one with iron sights, mounting may be an issue. With weaver medium mounts your scope will barely touch the folded down rear sight depending on how far forward you mount it. Low mounts are not going to work. Don't ask me how I know.

Black_Talon
05-23-2012, 4:15 PM
My info was in there using that link. Said valid submission received. Haven't gotten it yet though.

^^^ That's what it says about my rebate too. I didn't send it in until early May though.

frdman
05-25-2012, 7:36 AM
I sent mine mid-May. My info isn't up there yet.

Izzy43
05-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Checked my rebate status again and update is "valid submission" (3). Just gotta wait as these rebates always take a little time.

facn650
05-31-2012, 11:51 AM
Just check on mine and they shipped out on the 29th.

Jack L
05-31-2012, 2:28 PM
I reallly like the X4 scope. It sighted in easy and is clear. No rebate $ yet but thanks for the link that says they accepted it.

rckjeep
05-31-2012, 2:58 PM
I picked a 4x for my 25n but the larger diameter won't clear the bolt handle. Its a nice little scope and for $50 after rebate you can't beat it. Guess it'll go on one of my 10/22's. Rebate info is there but no shipping date yet.

Anyone have any luck getting the big decal off the scope?

walletclan
06-01-2012, 1:34 PM
This is what mine says. Shipped on 5/29/12!!

ENTRY DATE : Apr 13, 2012
Company Name : NIKON, INC.
Shipped Date : 05/29/2012
Offer Code
NIKON ROCK YOUR RIMFIRE $50.00 MIR 582-ROCKRIMFIRE

Offer Item Name Rebate Amount Quantity
01 #6718 PROSTAFF RIMFIRE 4X32 $50.00 1
Amount Total : $50.00

rckjeep
06-01-2012, 9:58 PM
So before I received the scope I looked up some flip up scope covers and unfortunately they don't fit. So has anyone found the proper sized covers from Butler Creek? From what I can gather it looks like #19 front and #19 back. I'd just like some confirmation before I order them again.

stacym
06-05-2012, 1:55 PM
FYI - sent my rebate form in early April, and got the check yesterday. Very happy with the scope on my 10/22.

ljgrasso
06-05-2012, 4:52 PM
April submission, just recieved my check today.

waho
06-06-2012, 6:15 PM
Got my check Tuesday. Also April submission.

Dirtbikindad393
06-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Just checked my status and they only show 1 submission on May 4th and I bought 2 and submitted 2 on the same form. Crap now what to I do call them I guess.

pdude
06-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Checked mine as it was received in early May, but has not shipped yet. Looks like walletclan's took about 2 months. So might have to wait until early July I guess.

rckjeep
06-21-2012, 8:31 AM
Mine has been updated to "valid submission" maybe in another month or so it'll say shipped

facn650
06-21-2012, 1:27 PM
Just checked my status and they only show 1 submission on May 4th and I bought 2 and submitted 2 on the same form. Crap now what to I do call them I guess.

I purchased two scopes too and only one rebate showed up. I called them and they had a typo on the second one and had already shipped them out. I was able to deposit both without any issues.

walletclan
06-21-2012, 1:30 PM
I just checked a pile of mail and my rebate was in it. It was sent on 5/31 and probably arrived a few days later. It came as postcard like paper with the rebate check printed right on it for the entire world to see...at least it came.

rckjeep
06-23-2012, 7:08 AM
Well even though nobody seems interested in the scope covers the #19 eye and #19 objective are the ones that fit. Hopefully it helps someone out

Izzy43
06-23-2012, 8:19 AM
Well even though nobody seems interested in the scope covers the #19 eye and #19 objective are the ones that fit. Hopefully it helps someone out

Thanks for the info, I can use it.

colhazard
08-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Just posting a question if anybody here bought their Nikon Rimfire Prostaff during the $50 rebate promo from Amazon.com.

There's another ongoing rebate promo for $30 on some Nikon BDC scopes and I want to buy from Amazon because I have a gift certificate with them.

Like the last promo, Amazon is not included in the participating dealers list, but some forum members called Nikon and they said the rebate was still valid.

Following up on those who bought from Amazon and got their $50 rebate.

Thanks.

Izzy43
08-09-2012, 12:27 PM
Just posting a question if anybody here bought their Nikon Rimfire Prostaff during the $50 rebate promo from Amazon.com.

There's another ongoing rebate promo for $30 on some Nikon BDC scopes and I want to buy from Amazon because I have a gift certificate with them.

Like the last promo, Amazon is not included in the participating dealers list, but some forum members called Nikon and they said the rebate was still valid.

Following up on those who bought from Amazon and got their $50 rebate.

Thanks.

Best and safest way is to call Nikon customer service and ask if Amazon is an authorized distributor and qualifys you for the rebate. I purchased 3 from OpticsPlanet and they were not on the list but Nikon CS verified that the rebates would be honored and they were.

colhazard
08-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Best and safest way is to call Nikon customer service and ask if Amazon is an authorized distributor and qualifys you for the rebate. I purchased 3 from OpticsPlanet and they were not on the list but Nikon CS verified that the rebates would be honored and they were.

I bought from Optics Planet too, and by the way, you were the one who convinced me to buy the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire scope through your reviews, thanks. Its great, and Im very happy with it on my Sig 522. Im going to be getting another prostaff for my AR15.

Optics planet was added to the list probably after you bought and they mentioned the rebate on their site when I bought mine. Amazon was never added. I could ask Nikon, but I would feel safer knowing from somebody here who bought from Amazon and actually received their rebate. I emailed Nikon too, so I could have it in writing, but I havent received their reply.

floorance
08-09-2012, 12:52 PM
I bought them on Amazon, and received both my rebates. For those who want some closure

bonesurf
08-09-2012, 4:12 PM
I bought last time via amazon and got my rebate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

stacym
08-09-2012, 7:38 PM
I bought my scope through Amazon, and I rec'd my rebate.

colhazard
08-10-2012, 6:32 AM
Good to know that, thanks everyone.