PDA

View Full Version : FTRTB

Mr.1904
04-26-2012, 10:37 AM
So last night i went and had a little range time after work. Was pleasant because there was only about 5-6 other people on the pistol range. Less time thinking about other people, more time focusing on shooting. Well, i have just bought a hundred rounds of Hornady 200 grn XTP since i am searching for a new defense load because my last (Hornady 200 grn FPD+p) wasn't cutting it (couldn't put it where i wanted it). The pistol is a Glock 30SF with a 9 and 10 round magazines. Bought 3-4 months ago and have put roughly 5-600 rounds down the pipe. First mag was flawless. At about 10 yards it was money, going exactly where i wanted them too. But then, on the last round of my second mag i didn't feel a reset in the trigger and let off of the trigger completely not feeling a reset. Look to see what the deal was and it was out of batter by about an eighth of an inch. And no i did not take pictures.... Tapped and racked but that was the last round of the magazine. Retrieved the expended live round and examined it. It had scratches on the jacket, and bullet making it look like it got caught up on the feed ramp on the way into the barrel. The failure looked just like someone who does not have experience tried to rack a round with a weak pull and the thing kinda seizes up, Particularly true with some 1911's. Shook it off but two mags later it happened again on the last mag but as i was releasing the trigger waiting for the reset something gave and it returned to battery. Now with these rounds being premium bullets, primers, powder etc i see this as unacceptable for a carry round. It almost seems as if they were not loaded to acceptable velocities to cycle my pistol, almost as if they were clunky cycling the action. The Winchester white box 230 grn felt more stout than these guys. I believe these rounds are advertised at 900 FPS out of a full size. Losing 8-9% of that with a 3" barrel it'd still be above 800 FPS.

Any insight? Anyone have a chronograph around SD they'd be so gracious in letting me use? I know this may be just a case of thinking too hard but at the same time i am second guessing filling my HD mags with these and that makes me a little uneasy. Figured i'd see what CG's has to say.

NorCalK9.com
04-26-2012, 10:48 AM
I had similar prob 3x's a couple days ago using redline reloads in my very very old g23. I thought it was either weak powder load or????
Need responses from others too.

joearmstrong
04-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Was it the last round on the same magazine 2 times? I would think that sounds like a mag problem more than a ammunition problem. Getting 2 bad rounds in the same spot in the same mag is way too coincidental to think it is the ammo. Maybe Im mis interpreting your post........

Mr.1904
04-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Was it the last round on the same magazine 2 times? I would think that sounds like a mag problem more than a ammunition problem. Getting 2 bad rounds in the same spot in the same mag is way too coincidental to think it is the ammo. Maybe Im mis interpreting your post........

Honestly, i did not check. I do not think it was the same mag. I feel like it was once with the 9 rnd and once with the 10 rnd guy. I thought about that though but on the last round? Would it just be that the springs are still so tight it didn't want to let go of the round that easily to chamber it?

NorCalK9.com
04-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Are your mags Glock factory mags or aftermarket?
I have a aftermarket that sux@ss! It doesnt feed everyother time.

teflondog
04-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Glock 30SF models had FTRTB problems a few years ago that were the result of the 4256-1 trigger bar that Glock implemented to address light primer strikes. These trigger bars were causing drag against the inside of the slide, which prevented the slide from returning to battery by 1/4". Glock fixed the problem with a new trigger bar (4256-1-). Can you confirm that yours has the -1- part number? It's located on the cruciform section of the trigger bar.

Mr.1904
04-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Glock 30SF models had FTRTB problems a few years ago that were the result of the 4256-1 trigger bar that Glock implemented to address light primer strikes. These trigger bars were causing drag against the inside of the slide, which prevented the slide from returning to battery by 1/4". Glock fixed the problem with a new trigger bar (4256-1-). Can you confirm that yours has the -1- part number? It's located on the cruciform section of the trigger bar.

This is intriguing. That's exactly what it felt like. I will check right now.

EDIT: It is stamped with the 4256-1- on the trigger bar.

teflondog
04-26-2012, 1:39 PM
This is intriguing. That's exactly what it felt like. I will check right now.

EDIT: It is stamped with the 4256-1- on the trigger bar.

Hmmmm, I don't know what to say. While logic says to look at the magazine next, I don't see how a mag could affect the slide returning to battery. I'd try different ammo and see if you could reproduce the problem. If it still happens with other ammo then I'd call Glock.