PDA

View Full Version : Who makes AR15 .22 LR Pistol Upper Receivers?

tenpercentfirearms
04-26-2012, 10:40 AM
I have three AR15 pistols and so I want to be able to shoot one as a .22 LR for our Taft Sportsmen's Club .22 Action Matches (http://www.taftsc.com/22.html). I heard Model 1 makes some .22 LR pistol uppers, but that is my last choice. Anyone else make .22 LR pistol uppers?

I asked Tactical Solutions if they would be able to not put a shroud on one of their SBX uppers since that is a 12" barrel, but they said they couldn't do it (maybe I ought to ask someone in production instead of sales). I am sure worst case scenario I could cut a shroud off of one of their uppers.

What do you guys and gals know?

morrcarr67
04-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Just thinking out loud.

Have you thought about using a CMMG conversion kit?

CHS
04-26-2012, 10:56 AM
I've built up a couple of .22lr's using the dedicated Model 1 upper receiver. About 6 months later I treated myself to a nicer TacSol upper and sold the Model 1 upper to a friend (they were both "M4" configs).

All three iterations of the .22lr's built using the Model 1 uppers run wonderfully. It seems as if this is the one thing that Model 1 can get right.

They're basically a copy of the Ciener kit, with a dedicated .22lr barrel and chamber, so there's no chamber insert, but the bolt and carrier assembly are otherwise identical to a Ciener/Spikes/CMMG conversion.

As with any dedicated AR-22, make sure you're running the rounded hammer and lightened springs. It also helps to cut the rear hook off the hammer to lighten it up to match the springs. In my TacSol I still have the springs that came with the original Model 1 upper (They're lightened red springs, I have no idea who makes them though). The other rifle was built for my wife and that one has the JP yellow springs. The upper I sold to a friend is also on a gun with the JP yellow springs.

If you want "nice", TacSol is absolutely the way to go. Their fit and finish is second to none. But if you want something that will still run fine, the Model 1's are definitely worth it and they have no problem cranking out short/pistol versions.

The other "nice" one on the block would be the Nordic dedicated. If you call them maybe they'll crank out a shorty for you?

CMMG will most likely have a short one available as well.

Spikes probably would too, but I don't know if they are still doing dedicated uppers.

Regardless, Model 1's are actually good to go.

corcoraj2002
04-26-2012, 11:01 AM
I know stag arms have a conversion kit and a dedicated upper. I got a 5.56 upper from them and it has been flawless.

Lifeon2whls
04-26-2012, 11:06 AM
What is the distance you are planning to shoot? I have a CMMG conversion in my AR rifle (1/8 twist) and its spot on accurate at 50". I havent tried taking it out any further but after running a few hundred rounds through the conversion I really am happy I didnt spend the extra money on the dedicated upper. Not sure how the pistol would shoot and if the barrel length would have much to do with accuracy and the .22

tenpercentfirearms
04-26-2012, 11:30 AM
I suppose since the pistol isn't that far, a conversion might work, but I still think I would rather stick to dedicated.

However, since I have a 10.5" Spike's Pistol upper already just sitting there, maybe I will see if I can get a conversion kit and try it out ASAP. I think the only downside is I don't remember that upper's twist rate. I hope it isn't 1:7, but it probably is.

Good thinking. Keep giving recommendations if you have them. Thanks for the Model 1 input.

CHS
04-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Wes, one thing to keep in mind since you have a large-capacity mag permit, an AR pistol is not exempt from the AW regs, so you can't run those awesome 27rd BDM's in it. You'll have to have a bullet button and 10rd mags.

Unless of course you have an AW permit, which I have no idea if you do or not (your posts have lead me to believe otherwise though).

I know you know all this. Just sayin anyways :)

tenpercentfirearms
04-26-2012, 12:12 PM
Wes, one thing to keep in mind since you have a large-capacity mag permit, an AR pistol is not exempt from the AW regs, so you can't run those awesome 27rd BDM's in it. You'll have to have a bullet button and 10rd mags.

Unless of course you have an AW permit, which I have no idea if you do or not (your posts have lead me to believe otherwise though).

I know you know all this. Just sayin anyways :)

Yes sir, I already remembered that. However, I don't think we can remind each other enough and I definitely appreciate you mentioning it.

I have a CMMG stainless kit in my Acusport cart. If I have a kit at the shop still (I don't think I do), I might try to get it set up for my match this Saturday, otherwise I will have to wait.

Sweet my Spike's 10.5" already has a Surefire flash hider on it so I can suppress it too! He he he.

tenpercentfirearms
05-05-2012, 8:59 PM
I took my CMMG stainless conversion out today to try it out on the Spike's Tactical 10.5" pistol and it worked great! Only one misfeed and it appeared to be a magazine issue. I put my Trijicon RX30 on it and it shot good enough for me. I didn't group it or anything, but it will work for our .22 Action Matches! Game on. Thanks for the idea.

morrcarr67
05-06-2012, 6:08 AM
I took my CMMG stainless conversion out today to try it out on the Spike's Tactical 10.5" pistol and it worked great! Only one misfeed and it appeared to be a magazine issue. I put my Trijicon RX30 on it and it shot good enough for me. I didn't group it or anything, but it will work for our .22 Action Matches! Game on. Thanks for the idea.

That's good to hear Wes.