PDA

View Full Version : Sig 1911 Slide Rattle

JDMHighEnd
04-26-2012, 7:28 AM
I own a Sig 1911 and i just noticed yesterday that there is a rattle sound coming somewhere from the slide when the hammer is cocked. When its decocked the rattle sound goes away or when I push on the slide.

Ive tried researching and people having different 1911 brands have been experienced rattle sounds but no one has stated if it rattles while the hammer is cocked.

Is this normal? Should I call sig about this?

HPGunner
04-26-2012, 4:13 PM
I'm not an owner of Sig 1911's but I think if the Sig 1911's have firing pin blocks like a Series 80 Colt, it might be the firing pin lever rattling and when you start to pull the trigger it pushes the lever that moves the block allowing the gun to fire. When the hammer is down it puts pressure on the firing pin which pushes pressure on the block and lever thus no rattle?

That's my best guess at what the rattle is. I could be wrong. Anyone else?

Press Check
04-26-2012, 4:43 PM
I own a Sig 1911 and i just noticed yesterday that there is a rattle sound coming somewhere from the slide when the hammer is cocked. When its decocked the rattle sound goes away or when I push on the slide.

Ive tried researching and people having different 1911 brands have been experienced rattle sounds but no one has stated if it rattles while the hammer is cocked.

Is this normal? Should I call sig about this?

I own a Springfield, not a Sig Sauer, but if there's a rattle ONLY when the hammer is cocked, it's probably the firing pin stop.

InGrAM
04-26-2012, 5:45 PM
My GSR does the same thing. It is not a problem, don't worry about it. The slide rattles because the hammer isn't applying pressure to it.

AeroEngi
04-26-2012, 6:02 PM
If you aren't having any reliability issues and if it shoots accurately then the rattle is irrelevant. It's a gun, not a Rolex. Keep shooting it.

jimmythebrain
04-26-2012, 6:06 PM
I have a Sig GSR (1st Generation) 1911. It has a very tight lock up without any rattle in the gun, including the beavertail safety and the trigger.

I also have a Sig Revolution 1911 (early one with the manhole cover in the slide for the firing pin safety). It has a lot of slide to frame movement. The center of the slide to frame fit is tight but the front end and rear fitment is loose. The gun will actually make a noise if shaken as the slide shifts side to side. When the hammer is down it applies pressure on the slide (rear to front) and reduces the rattle. All that being said it shoots very accurately and does not jam. I figure guns are made to be shot, not shaken.

Sturnovik
04-26-2012, 6:09 PM
If you aren't having any reliability issues and if it shoots accurately then the rattle is irrelevant. It's a gun, not a Rolex. Keep shooting it.

+1.

Nothing wrong with a little rattle. Slightly looser tolerances are better IMO, I have seen many tight guns have issues. If your shooting competition thats one thing but otherwise I'd rather it have a tiny bit of rattle.

Plisk
04-26-2012, 6:31 PM
+1.

Nothing wrong with a little rattle. Slightly looser tolerances are better IMO, I have seen many tight guns have issues. If your shooting competition thats one thing but otherwise I'd rather it have a tiny bit of rattle.

+1

Preach it brutha!

Sturnovik
04-26-2012, 6:36 PM
+1

Preach it brutha!

Thanks budd. Seems like everyone wants TIGHT over anything else. And if the whole slide wobbled side to side, that would be one thing, but some slide rattle is always welcome. :cool:

JDMHighEnd
04-26-2012, 6:41 PM
Thanks everyone.

razr
04-26-2012, 6:45 PM
Most do when hammer locked back.

shayski
04-26-2012, 7:36 PM
i have sig 1911r-sss its bran new unfired and it has that same rattle