View Full Version : No tax with some FFL's

04-26-2012, 6:07 AM
I've heard some FFL's not charging tax. That said, is there a way around paying tax? Just curious.

04-26-2012, 6:14 AM
Use search. This has been discussed hundreds of times.

04-26-2012, 6:18 AM
Find the FFL that's not charging tax... they are getting low. Most of my FFLs has been doing it locally for a good year. But the deals online for some items are still worth it after the tax and my FFL doesn't charge an arm-leg for transfer.

04-26-2012, 7:08 AM
Use search. This has been discussed hundreds of times.

My bad. As you can see, I'm fresh out of the box. But thanks, I'll do a search.

04-26-2012, 7:18 AM
It's true that there are some FFL's still not charging tax for out of state transfers but your not going to find a list of them on this or any site. No one is going to risk calling out their FFL for not charging them tax.

And even if the FFL does not (yet) charge tax the CA resident is suppose to report the out of state purchase on their taxes and pay use tax.

Also, if you are not asking about buying a gun out of state and just asking about FFL's that are selling guns in CA without tax the answer is no. Or at least I've never heard of any.

So the answer to your question is yes, but not legally.

04-26-2012, 7:37 AM

04-26-2012, 7:45 AM

Thanks for the search link. Looks like this thread has been tossed around already.

04-26-2012, 7:46 AM
Considering this letter was sent out to every FFL in CA, good luck to the ones not charging.

04-26-2012, 10:45 PM
Yeah but for those shops charging taxes for PPT, a big F to YOU. Sportsman in Campbell comes to mind. If a shop wants to charge you taxes for this, run out of there. I learned the hard way.

Santa Cruz Armory
04-26-2012, 10:58 PM
The ones that aren't collecting tax are only leaving themselves open for a visit from the tax man... I know I don't want to pay my customers tax. That said, I wish we (dealers) weren't forced to be the enforcers. :( Sorry guys, it's the law and we have to comply to remain in business.

04-26-2012, 11:50 PM
That's news to me that DROS is only $19 dollars LOL.