PDA

View Full Version : Barber shop talk about right to carry.

taloft
04-28-2007, 1:38 PM
I went to get my ears lowered today. While at the local barber shop, a conversation developed between the Barber and one of his customers concerning the murders at VT. We'll call this guy customer A. The Barber mentioned that he had thought about getting a CCW and had decided against it. During the conversation customer A mentioned that having students carrying guns wouldn't have prevented the nut from doing what he did. In addition, he was talking out his orifice regarding gun control. Normally I mind my own business buuttt, I couldn't let this guy continue spewing BS to a full house.

First, I asked him if he felt that guns in the hands of lawful citizens deterred crime. He said no.

Second, I asked him if he thought that gun control and gun restrictions worked to reduce crime. He said yes.

This is when the fun began. I said that if guns don't deter crime why are there no examples of police station shootings? We see plenty of examples of shootings in "Gun Free Zones". Yet, I never hear about massacres at places you normally find guns. He had no answer.

Next, I asked, since gun control is so effective, how it this nut job who had obvious mental problems was able to get a gun and walk onto a campus that had a no guns policy? Apparently, the no guns policy isn't working out too well for them. Let me guess this nut didn't get the memo, right? Again, silence for an answer.

Another customer said that the students looked like sheep being led to slaughter. I told him it is a hell of a lot harder to sheer the sheep if they have fangs. He just shook his head in agreement and went back to reading the morning paper.

Finally, I ended by saying that had a responsible person with a CCW been in class, it might have been only 3 dead instead of 33. The decision on whether or not to CCW should be a personal one and not dictated by people who are swayed by rhetoric or emotion. The Barber made his choice and we each should be able to make our own provided we're not barred from doing so. He made a good choice because you shouldn't carry if you're not comfortable doing so. Gun laws don't stop criminals because they don't obey the laws, hence the term criminals. What they do succeed in doing is hindering law abiding people trying to defend themselves.

By this time the Barber had finished cutting the guys hair. The customer A seemed to be in a bit of a hurry to get out of the shop. The Barber asked me why I wanted a trim. I told him that I had a NRA fund raiser to attend tonight. The Barber had a twinkle in his eye, and customer A just looked at me with dawning realization of what had just happened. I had set his arguments up and effectively knocked them all down in front of a crowd of fence sitters. The departing look he shot me was less than pleasant.

The Barber had served in the Army and is a gun owner. He doesn't believe in gun control. After customer A left, I told him I don't usually discuss the issue in public because if they are pro gun, you're preaching to the choir. If they are anti-gun they are looking for validation of their position, and when you don't give it to them they want to vilify you. This just makes you look bad in the eyes of the fence sitters. Every now and then you get a rare chance to show the fence sitters just how stupid the anti-gun position is without looking like a rabid jackass. Knowing when to fight is half the battle.;)

Kestryll
04-28-2007, 1:47 PM
Good Job!!!

taloft
04-28-2007, 2:04 PM
There was more to the conversation but, I was trying to be as brief as possible given the complexity of the subject. I figure I got the second barber, the other two customers, and a kid to rethink their positions. I would have taken a different tack but, it was obvious from what customer A was saying that he couldn't be swayed. Oh well, under the bus he goes.:p

Paladin
04-28-2007, 4:20 PM
Excellent job! Main things are to remain cool, friendly and let your arguments do the work.

Be sure to ck out the links in my sig line for future reference.

M. Sage
04-28-2007, 5:43 PM
I would have taken a different tack but, it was obvious from what customer A was saying that he couldn't be swayed. Oh well, under the bus he goes.:p

Lol, I like that. Nice job, and hopefully some middle-of-the-road folks are at least THINKING now. Seems like logical thought is what separates an anti from a pro.

MedSpec65
04-28-2007, 6:58 PM
You chose the right situation to confront the hoplophobe. The statistics and anecdotal evidence supporting your position are increasing daily and are readily available by anyone with online access. It's the "Fence Sitters" that will decide the future of the country when the next mass public shooting or major terrorist attack occurs.

EricCartmann
04-28-2007, 7:30 PM
too bad i was not there to give you a good argument just for the hell of it... ofcourse i would make myself look stupid just so everyone in the room and the next 2 rooms over would be pro gun before they walked out :D

capitol
04-28-2007, 8:02 PM
Thanks for speaking up taloft

CalNRA
04-28-2007, 8:23 PM
you wouldn';t believe how many people I talked think that you can get a gun without a back ground check. I constantly remind people that just because you don't need a permit is not the same as no checks. The liberal media has done a good job of scaring people with falso info.

Mr. Beretta
04-28-2007, 8:36 PM
Great Job !!!

DedEye
04-28-2007, 8:54 PM
Awesome! :D

TKM
04-29-2007, 2:02 AM
When Bill the Barber would actually open the shop on a regular basis I gave him a cylinderful of Glasers so zapping a troll wouldn't take out a potentially innocent trolley rider. The theory being that a miss would fragment on the big glass window and a hit would fragment on the sternum.

My present barbers' kid (my dentist) just took down a nice boar with a Sig in .357 Sig. Good guy, excellent taste in weaponry. Somehow he found out about OLLs last year.

DedEye
04-29-2007, 11:45 AM
This is when the fun began. I said that if guns don't deter crime why are there no examples of police station shootings? We see plenty of examples of shootings in "Gun Free Zones". Yet, I never hear about massacres at places you normally find guns. He had no answer.

Actually, I do remember hearing of at least one shooting at a police station. A murder suspect in Alabama (I believe; it was somewhere in the South) got an officer's gun away from him and killed a couple officers and a dispatcher before escaping in a police cruiser. This would be an example of why officers need to remember to lock up their guns before entering prisoner holding areas.

taloft
04-29-2007, 1:36 PM
Yep, also the escape from the Fulton County Courthouse in which a judge and two others were killed by an escaping inmate. It does happen but, I was gambling that this guy couldn't site me an example.:D

In most cases when something like this happens the fatalities are far fewer because the bad guy isn't sticking around to be shot, or someone ended his shooting spree early with a well placed round. Both cases were bad guys trying to escape. I don't recall the last time someone walked in off the street and started shooting LEO's via terminator style. Makes for good movies but(thankfully), it is very rare in the real world. I'm sure it has happened somewhere but, I can't recall an example.