PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Off-Roster Handguns

phdo
04-25-2012, 7:14 PM
So I'm currently bidding for an off-roster revolver on GunBroker and the sell is in California. I'm from northern California and the seller is from southern California. I really want the handgun. It's what I've been longing to fondle for ages but don't want to make two trips to SoCal. Do any one of you guys know a way for me to complete the transaction without making two trips? The single shot exemption is not applicable because it doesn't comply with dimension requirements (minimum of 3" barrel and overall length must exceed 7.5"). Any and all input will be received with gratitude. Thanks in advance.

Cyc Wid It
04-25-2012, 7:20 PM
No. Convert to single shot exempt or make two trips.

littlejake
04-25-2012, 7:42 PM
^^ those are your options.

Bullwhip55
04-25-2012, 8:44 PM
You could take a 2 week vacation...

Paperchasin
04-25-2012, 8:47 PM
You could take a 2 week vacation...

+2 ;)

phdo
04-25-2012, 8:50 PM
That'll be ideal. But unfortunately, it's not an option. You guys know if it's legal for the dealer to ship it to me/my FFL after the 10 days?

quiet-wyatt
04-25-2012, 9:01 PM
The single shot exemption is not applicable because it doesn't comply with dimension requirements (minimum of 3" barrel and overall length must exceed 7.5").

The single-shot-exemption conversion parts take care of those dimensional requirements. Check the single-shot-exemption sticky thread in this forum...

Nor*Cal
04-25-2012, 9:52 PM
You guys know if it's legal for the dealer to ship it to me/my FFL after the 10 days?

Negative, you have to pick it up in person.

Quiet
04-25-2012, 11:24 PM
It's a revolver, the single-shot exemption will not work.

If the revolver has a barrel length of 3" or greater and an OAL of 7.5" of greater than the single-action exemption will work. [PC 32100(a)]

If it doesn't meet the length requirements, then you will have to travel to SoCal twice.

Penal Code 32100
(a) Article 4 (commencing with Section 31900) and Article 5 (commencing with Section 32000) shall not apply to a single-action revolver that has at least a five-cartridge capacity with a barrel length of not less than three inches, and meets any of the following specifications:
(1) Was originally manufactured prior to 1900 and is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(2) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least seven and one-half inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.
(3) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least seven and one-half inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled and that is currently approved for importation into the United States pursuant to the provisions of paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of Section 925 of Title 18 of the United States Code.

Aznatama
04-26-2012, 1:04 AM
you're SOL.

keenkeen
04-26-2012, 8:06 AM
Go Greyhound...and leave the driving to them.

:D

Oceanbob
04-26-2012, 8:49 AM
One crazy idea is to have it converted to single action only. Those are exempt. Convert it back later.

littlejake
04-26-2012, 9:40 AM
One crazy idea is to have it converted to single action only. Those are exempt. Convert it back later.

His revolver is not dimensionally compliant for single action expemption

mlgs00
04-26-2012, 4:09 PM
Ask the seller to meet you half way. Pay for his gas if necessary.

Cyc Wid It
04-26-2012, 4:15 PM
His revolver is not dimensionally compliant for single action expemption

He can have it made reversibly dimensionally compliant... but the revolver has to be something pretty rare/special to make up for the extra costs associated. Then again, if he's considering making two trips it sounds like it falls into that category already.

morrcarr67
04-26-2012, 5:19 PM
Ask the seller to meet you half way. Pay for his gas if necessary.

Ding, Ding, Ding. Give this man/woman a prize.

Offer to pay the sellers gas and buy him/her lunch. Meet somewhere in the middle to do the PPT

Flintlock Tom
04-27-2012, 8:09 AM
Ding, Ding, Ding. Give this man/woman a prize.

Offer to pay the sellers gas and buy him/her lunch. Meet somewhere in the middle to do the PPT

This.

Or, you could pay for his trip (fly/drive) all the way and do the deed in a shop local to you.
Voilą: one trip.