PDA

View Full Version : XD40 vs. Glock 23 recoil

lilro
04-25-2012, 4:08 PM
I'm getting rid of my G23 because the recoil is a little snappy for me and I just can't mesh with the grip angle. I've shot the XD9 and I have my eyes on it, but how does the .40 compare to a glock in terms of recoil? If the XD40 has less recoil than the G23, I'll just get that instead of the XD9 so I can have fun getting rid of my ammo. :13:

creepyoldgamer
04-25-2012, 4:27 PM
You will likely feel less recoil with the XD40 compared to the compact G23, but if recoil is a concern for you, the XD9 may be a good choice. Many people feel the 40 is just a snappy round.

lilro
04-25-2012, 4:31 PM
You will likely feel less recoil with the XD40 compared to the compact G23, but if recoil is a concern for you, the XD9 may be a good choice. Many people feel the 40 is just a snappy round.

Yeah I love the way the XD9 feels. Didn't have a chance to fire the .40 though. I'll see if I can rent one but I figured I'd ask here first. Didn't want to buy another box of ammo because you have to use the range ammo with rentals.

Bigtwin
04-25-2012, 5:14 PM
Rent one. That box of ammo is cheaper than buying a gun you don't like!

FWIW, I have no problems with my XD40 service. I don't get the "snappy" part many folks complain about, unless they are shooting a compact pistol.

knerona
04-25-2012, 5:17 PM
I'm looking for G23, shoot me a PM if you would like to sell it =)

lilro
04-25-2012, 5:45 PM
Rent one. That box of ammo is cheaper than buying a gun you don't like!

True. I love the XD9 though. And if it's the same plus a touch more recoil it'll be good. I have webbed fingers and to get a good high grip on the glock makes the web between thumb and index sore after 50 rounds.

Lead Waster
04-25-2012, 6:07 PM
Yeah ditto, pm me if you want to sell that g23!!

tacticalcity
04-25-2012, 8:28 PM
The snappiness is the round, not the gun. 40S&W is a snappy feeling round. It's not going to change by buying another 40S&W gun. Either train through it, or look into a 9mm. Heck you might even want to look at a 45ACP. The 45ACP has more recoil, but it feels totally different. More of a quick punch than a snappy flip...difficult to explain in words. In any case, time to rent some guns at the range. Bring yours with you for a direction comparison. You may decide there is not enough difference to worry about it. "Grass is always greener syndrom" is more than likely the issue.

All that said, I stopped being a 40S&W diehard guy a few years back. I shoot both 9mm and 45ACP, leaning more towards the 9mm. I could have just trained through it, but I had both a 9mm and 40S&W at the time and when it came time to sell things off...the 40S&Ws went first. Why? Too damn snappy.

lilro
04-25-2012, 8:47 PM
The snappiness is the round, not the gun. 40S&W is a snappy feeling round. It's not going to change by buying another 40S&W gun. Either train through it, or look into a 9mm. Heck you might even want to look at a 45ACP. The 45ACP has more recoil, but it feels totally different. More of a quick punch than a snappy flip...difficult to explain in words. In any case, time to rent some guns at the range. Bring yours with you for a direction comparison. You may decide there is not enough difference to worry about it. "Grass is always greener syndrom" is more than likely the issue.

All that said, I stopped being a 40S&W diehard guy a few years back. I shoot both 9mm and 45ACP, leaning more towards the 9mm. I could have just trained through it, but I had both a 9mm and 40S&W at the time and when it came time to sell things off...the 40S&Ws went first. Why? Too damn snappy.

I thought the recoil spring was a large factor in felt recoil. I think I'm gonna go with the 9mm though. I fell in love with that XD when I saw the groups I was getting. I'll definitely try .45ACP at some point though, 1911s are sick.

ramathorn
04-25-2012, 8:48 PM
Isn't there a 9mm drop in conversion barrel you can snag instead of selling (transfer fee & hassle) and buying a new pistola (DROS fee and lame waiting period)? I think there is one available for my G22.... changing round will reduce recoil and you'll still have the ability to lock and load with a .40 if need be.

knerona
04-25-2012, 9:01 PM
They are available, just need the barrel and mags. Though some will say that you need to change a few other parts as well for reliability. I have a lonewolf 9mm barrel for my G22 with a few G17 mags, shoots great but I wouldn't use it them for self defense. Great for plinking with a cheaper round. =)

tacticalcity
04-25-2012, 9:33 PM
XD trigger rest is twice as long as the Glocks. You have to release the trigger further before you can fire your follow up shots. More movement of the finger, means more movement of the hand, which means more movement of the gun, etc. With training you overcome it. But that is the main reason I don't like the XD. Not to say I hate them, there are plenty of guns to which I would prefer and XD hands down, I just don't like them as much as I like the Glock. To each their own. They wouldn't make hundreds of thousands of different models of guns if all we all liked the same thing. Just beware of the grass is always greener effect. It gets damn expensive. If you are adding to a collection that's one thing. But you may find yourself selling off a Glock to by the latest thing to catch your fancy, only to sell that off to buy the next thing to catch your fancy, or even to buy another Glock. I admit I have strayed once or twice and fell in lust with something different, even to the point of selling off my Glock. It never lasts long. A few months later a Glock finds its way back to being not only in my stable but my favorite of the bunch. I've rebought pretty much the same gun several times over.

lilro
04-25-2012, 9:37 PM
Isn't there a 9mm drop in conversion barrel you can snag instead of selling (transfer fee & hassle) and buying a new pistola (DROS fee and lame waiting period)? I think there is one available for my G22.... changing round will reduce recoil and you'll still have the ability to lock and load with a .40 if need be.

I thought about that for a while but it won't fix the grip angle.

XD trigger rest is twice as long as the Glocks. You have to release the trigger further before you can fire your follow up shots. More movement of the finger, means more movement of the hand, which means more movement of the gun, etc. Main reason I don't like them. Not to say I hate them, there are plenty of guns to which I would prefer and XD hands down, I just don't like them as much as I like the Glock. To each their own. They wouldn't make hundreds of thousands of different models of guns if all we all liked the same thing.

Just beware of the grass is always greener effect. It gets damn expensive.

Yeah I know. I fired the 9mm XD. I shot way tighter groups with it the first time I touched it than the Glock that I've had for 6 months. The grip angle is just more natural for me I guess.

And I don't get too bothered over something being expensive as long as my bills are paid and my fridge is stocked. I have emergency money if needbe but otherwise I spend like it's my last day. Because it just might be. And I'm pretty sure God, Allah, etc. don't accept fiat currency :D

tacticalcity
04-25-2012, 9:42 PM
I thought about that for a while but it won't fix the grip angle.

Been drinking hateraid have we? People who learned on something else have issues with the Grip angle because it is different than what they are used to. But new shooters don't have that muscle memory to overcome. The grip angle is actually ideal. Designed specifically to point exactly like your imaginary gun as a kid (hand with finger pointing out and thumb sticking straight up). So unless you have years of time training on another gun, the grip angle issue is in your head. Something you read online or heard a buddy say. Not trying to be a jerk, but this argument is so tired that it has become a pet peeve. Yes it is different than other guns...but different is not always a bad thing. If you want to complain about something, complain that the gun doesn't have a dovetail to protect from slide bite. Something S&W M&P got right. If not for the trigger reset of issues of the M&P, that gun would have been damn near perfect.

By the way, grip angle is a common complaint of 1911 users that are used to a flat mainspring housing. Which is extremely ironic. Because, the 1911 as designed by John Browning had a curved mainspring housing, making the grip angle as designed almost identical to that of the Glock. They (or the company they bought it from) modified their gun to make it like other guns that do not point as naturally when the gun itself was designed to point like a Glock. That said, the curved backstraps also are not as comfortable for reasons other than their pointability, and they are not as sexy looking. So I get the change...but I also see the irony of a 1911 owner complaining about the Glocks grip angle. They are damn near the same, and would be even closer if built as designed. It something they heard owners of other guns say, and repeat like parrots. Glock got a lot of their design features, no matter how abstract, from John Brownings designs. It's just not apparent to the average gun owner. We see the obvious differences that stand out, and not the subtle design choices that are similar if not the same.

lilro
04-25-2012, 9:49 PM
Been drinking hateraid have we? People who learned on something else have issues with the Grip angle because it is different than what they are used to. But new shooters don't have that muscle memory to overcome. The grip angle is actually ideal. Designed specifically to point exactly like your imaginary gun as a kid (hand with finger pointing out and thumb sticking straight up). So unless you have years of time training on another gun, the grip angle issue is in your head. Something you read online or heard a buddy say. Yes it is different than other guns...but different is not always a bad thing.

By the way, this is a common complaint of 1911 users that are used to a flat backstrap. However, the 1911 as designed by John Browning had a curved backstrap, making the grip angle as designed almost identical to that of the Glock. Glock got a lot of their design features, not matter how abstract, from John Brownings designs. It's just not apparent to the average gun owner. We see the obvious differences that stand out, and not the subtle design choices that are similar if not the same.

I've shot the XD. I can point it better. Everybody's hands aren't shaped the same man.

IrishPirate
04-25-2012, 9:57 PM
I much prefer my G23 to my brother's XD40!!! way less snappiness IMO...and I'm not a Glock fan boy either. The G23/19 is the only frame that I like the feel of. I want to like other Glocks but they just don't feel right in my hand. :shrug:

It might be that you're not holding the gun properly and that's why you don't like it. I know, I know....everyone knows how to hold a gun. Well, that's not true. Once I gave up that macho attitude and listened to the old timers at the range when they told me to switch things up, I became more accurate and had less felt recoil with all my guns (.45, .40, 9mm, .25). grab your (unloaded) gun and aim at the wall, then pay attention to your grip and take a mental picture. Then watch some youtube videos of pros at shooting competitions....i'm 99% sure you'll see a difference.

Shooting might be cool and manly, but there's nothing as emasculating as thinking your gun is the problem and having a stranger blast out the 10ring on his/HER first try with it. Grip is key...be open to learning new techniques.

and If you like the XD9, then get that. I doubt you'll end up prefering the .40 over the 9mm if you already like the 9mm. And .40 ammo is easy to sell or trade.

lilro
04-25-2012, 10:17 PM
I much prefer my G23 to my brother's XD40!!! way less snappiness IMO...and I'm not a Glock fan boy either. The G23/19 is the only frame that I like the feel of. I want to like other Glocks but they just don't feel right in my hand. :shrug:

It might be that you're not holding the gun properly and that's why you don't like it. I know, I know....everyone knows how to hold a gun. Well, that's not true. Once I gave up that macho attitude and listened to the old timers at the range when they told me to switch things up, I became more accurate and had less felt recoil with all my guns (.45, .40, 9mm, .25). grab your (unloaded) gun and aim at the wall, then pay attention to your grip and take a mental picture. Then watch some youtube videos of pros at shooting competitions....i'm 99% sure you'll see a difference.

Shooting might be cool and manly, but there's nothing as emasculating as thinking your gun is the problem and having a stranger blast out the 10ring on his/HER first try with it. Grip is key...be open to learning new techniques.

and If you like the XD9, then get that. I doubt you'll end up prefering the .40 over the 9mm if you already like the 9mm. And .40 ammo is easy to sell or trade.

If you say the G23 snappiness is less than the XD40, looks like I'll be going with the XD9. I took an intermediate training class yesterday with the Glock, and we messed around with different grips and it just doesn't work for me. I have long thumbs and have to tuck it in order for the slide to lock back on empty, and it's very uncomfortable. I tried the M&P and XD in 9mm and the XD just felt right. I don't think the gun is the problem. Glocks are great. My hands are the problem. You glock guys are funny though. It's like I bought a shirt 3 sizes too small and you're telling me it fits, I'm just not wearing it right. LOL.

NorCalK9.com
04-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Wow my little brother is being a panzy and trying to trade his glock27 for a 9mm too. Wtf is wrong with you guys lol.
I love my 23 and 27!

Gryff
04-26-2012, 6:31 AM
The snappiness is the round, not the gun. 40S&W is a snappy feeling round. It's not going to change by buying another 40S&W gun.

Sure it is. Frame material/weight, bore axis location, and grip ergonomics are all going to to affect both perceived and actual recoil.

But you may find yourself selling off a Glock to by the latest thing to catch your fancy, only to sell that off to buy the next thing to catch your fancy, or even to buy another Glock. I admit I have strayed once or twice and fell in lust with something different, even to the point of selling off my Glock. It never lasts long. A few months later a Glock finds its way back to being not only in my stable but my favorite of the bunch. I've rebought pretty much the same gun several times over.

Not me. I bought a G23 as an LTC gun, and sold it within a year. I just couldn't dig having a gun that felt like a Luger-shaped block of wood in my hand (not to mention having a natural POA for me that would put the round over the top of the target's head). Bought an M&P40c to replace it and LOVE that gun. I would trust my life to a Glock if someone handed it to me, but I just wouldn't pay for something that is such an ergonomic fail for me. Everyone's mileage will vary in this area, but the fact is that the #1 complaint about the Glock is the grip.

NorCalK9.com
04-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Glock ergonomic fail?
The fail is PRACTICE!
It has nothing to do with the grip angle, it has nothing to do with the size of the round, it all boils down to practice, practice = proficiency period case closed!
S&W trigger reset is almost nill, meaning you have to release trigger all the way forward to fire again.
XD's I cant complain about they shoot goid and feel good.
I suck at shooting ANY pistol. Thats why I practice 300 rounds a week in my back yard now. I have become a 1000x's better with my g23, but I still suck lol. So i'll keep practicing! Its not my guns fault I suck, its my fault!
Dont be a panzy, buy a couple thousand rounds and practice, practice, practice. and did I mention practice? Lol

Gryff
04-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Glock ergonomic fail?
The fail is PRACTICE!
It has nothing to do with the grip angle, it has nothing to do with the size of the round, it all boils down to practice, practice = proficiency period case closed!

When I pick up a 1911, XD, Hi-Power, CZ, M&P, Sig or S&W revolver, the natural point-of-aim is usually close to the intended center of the target. When I pick up a Glock, the natural point of aim is distinctly higher than the center of the target.

Can I train myself to index the gun differently? Sure. If I wanted a Glock bad enough, then teaching myself would be worth it. Since I don't lust after a Glock (because of what I feel to be a crappy grip shape regardless of the grip angle), why should I spend time and money to get proficient with a gun that still feels like crap in my hand? Why shouldn't I buy and use something that is a more-natural shooter for me?

Seems kind of stupid to get what you don't like just because you could learn to use it adequately. Especially considering that there are numerous guns out there to which you could also reliably trust your life.

NorCalK9.com
04-26-2012, 11:24 AM
@gryff
You're the one that bought a gun, carried it for a year and didnt become proficient with said gun. Who sounds stupid?
My first pistols were revolvers then berretta now glock and out of the 3 the glocks are gands down the winner. I really dont understand all the excuses and myths these people come up with.
Im not knocking no one for not liking glocks, im knocking buying a gun and not becoming proficient with it, then blaming the gun and buying something else.

Gryff
04-26-2012, 11:42 AM
@gryff
You're the one that bought a gun, carried it for a year and didnt become proficient with said gun. Who sounds stupid?
My first pistols were revolvers then berretta now glock and out of the 3 the glocks are gands down the winner. I really dont understand all the excuses and myths these people come up with.
Im not knocking no one for not liking glocks, im knocking buying a gun and not becoming proficient with it, then blaming the gun and buying something else.

:D Yep, you got me. I didn't force myself to like the gun so I must never have been competent with it.

lilro
04-26-2012, 1:04 PM
@gryff

I'm not blaming the gun. I'm blaming myself. I bought a gun I didn't really want in the first place on inpulse (my fault). I shot with it, didn't like the results, so I took a class. Still didn't like the results. I know it's me and not the gun because the instructor put a few rounds downrange and it was all one hole. So I rented something else. Better results both on paper and IN MY HANDS. The XD is more comfortable in my hands. Why would I force myself to be comfortable with the Glock when I KNOW there is something more comfortable at near the same price? It's no excuse or myth. You're telling me size XXL gloves fit my hand when I'm telling you I tried M gloves and they fit better. There is nothing wrong with Glocks. I actually like glocks. But it's not for me. There's a reason they make firearms with different grips. Everybody's hands aren't the same.

NorCalK9.com
04-26-2012, 2:22 PM
@lilro
I wasnt even talking to you. I specifically wrote the guys name in my post.
Im not against xd's or m&p's or 1911's but magically you dont become a better shooter from one gun to the next. If you cant shoot an ar for $h!t chances are you cant shoot an ak for $h!t..
Ive heard that 1911's have GREAT triggers, but im not gonna buy one because of that!
I chose a glock for 2 reasons,
1. Its allegedly the most reliable semi auto on the earth. "note I wrote allegedly!"
2nd theres way more support for glock than any other minus 1911.
With that said I have not changed nor added anything to mine so the 2nd kinda became moot after my first week of owning the gun. Cause I wont put extended mag releases nor slide releases, maybe i'll change our sites but I doubt it.
Im glad you like the xd, my friend has a sig p226, and a xd9 and he loves the xd more than the p226. To each their own. And I like to xd as well might even get me one un 9mm if I dont gind a g19 at a good price.

NorCalK9.com
04-26-2012, 2:28 PM
@op Ohh yeah, and as far as you shooting better with the xd I bet it was because you went from 40 - 9mm. Did you see how you did with a glock in 9mm? Im not saying not to get the xd, im just trying to find out if maybe 40 is just too much for you rather than it being the pistols fault.

lilro
04-26-2012, 3:01 PM
Yeah sorry. I bought it for the same reason. I originally wanted a 226 but I couldn't afford it after dros + tax so I went with the Glock because of their reputation. And I don't think me shooting better had to do with different guns, more to do with different calibers. And my thumb kept getting in the way of the slide release causing it to not lock back, and I had to change to a grip that was uncomfortable for me in order for it to function properly. I didn't have this problem with the XD.

@op Ohh yeah, and as far as you shooting better with the xd I bet it was because you went from 40 - 9mm. Did you see how you did with a glock in 9mm? Im not saying not to get the xd, im just trying to find out if maybe 40 is just too much for you rather than it being the pistols fault.

No I didn't try a glock in 9mm. And I agree .40 is too much for me. I was just wondering if the XD in 40 recoiled as snappy as the Glock, because I have a bunch of .40 ammo that's open because I kept all my mags loaded. I'd rather not try to sell ammo with my fingerprints all over it. And I keep saying over and over it's not the pistols fault. It's my hands fault. I have long skinny fingers and a small palm. The glock just doesn't feel "right". Maybe if I got one of those grip reduction backplate things it would be better, but I'd rather just get something I KNOW feels right.

NorCalK9.com
04-26-2012, 3:33 PM
I figured that I shoot 2x's better with 9mm than 40, but I like 40 so i'll keep practicing until I getver done lol. Good luck and the xd9's are nice!

IrishPirate
04-26-2012, 5:38 PM
if the Glock don't fit....sell that sh*t!! :D I know how you feel man, the G23/19 is the ONLY one that fits my hand too, even AFTER changing things up based on the advice i got at the range. weird, but hey, i go with what works.

sounds like XD9 is the route you want to go, so sell the G23 and get the XD9. You'll end up being happy that you did since you'll probably go shooting more.

Bigtwin
04-26-2012, 6:10 PM
Tacticalcity has a very good point(though I have read it a thousand times), shoot what you like and are comfortable with. OH and can shoot well with!

I am not a brand fan! XD happens to fit me and I have done well with it, I do not in any way dislike Glocks, Sigs, S&W...or any other brand. After renting many pistols the XD fit my need and function greatly. YMMV and probably will!

You have to test drive. You wouldn't buy a car based on name or brand or what another person said....would you?

Sunday
04-26-2012, 7:20 PM
Try one . I have shot XDs and Glocks in 40, they go bang and I could get by with either. Like shoes the guns that fit are the best but you can learn to shoot anything ,,,join the military and find out.

m98
04-27-2012, 6:35 AM
Taccity, take it easy on that glock grip angle. Not everybody is the same. For example, my buddy who has never picked up a gun and shot before tried out all the makes and models and fell n love with the xd/xdm and 1911. For him the gun points naturally. Some people like myself can easily adapt to any grip so for me glock grip angle isnt an issue. Its more of the 2x4 wood grip feel. Until finally glock caught on to the present market and made the gen4's.

702Shooter
04-27-2012, 6:46 AM
I bought an XDm 40 the day they came out. Never really liked the grip of the gun so I sold it and bought a Gen4 G23. The Glock had more recoil. I say "had" because now, it doesn't.

I replaced most of the internals with parts from Glockworx.com and that made some serious improvements on the trigger as well as the recoil. A friend of mine shot my G23 before the mods and swore he would never shoot it again as it bruised his hand. Now, he prefers it over his G19.

There is a writeup on my site titled "Zev Technologies / Glockworx G23 Overhaul" for those who may be interested in the upgrades I made.

joearmstrong
04-27-2012, 9:47 AM
Rent.....shoot.....decide. If you prefer a sling shot get a sling shot. I too have purchased a gun I did not like in the end(g27) but it was more of a weight/balance issue for me, the grip of the gun didnt seem to matter and I shot well with it. It just didnt feel right. Its like boxers vs briefs, they both do the job but having my junk smashed up against my body dont feel right to me. Guns are a very personal decision in that sense so get what you enjoy shooting.

NorCalK9.com
04-27-2012, 9:57 AM
Wow im really enjoying this thread!

Shompy
04-27-2012, 10:12 PM
I love, love, love my XDm .40. Fits my hand and feels more natural than my old G22. I feel the XDm is nicely balanced and the recoil isn't bad at all.

--Sean

BlackDrop50
04-28-2012, 6:58 AM
grip force adapter might help you