PDA

View Full Version : 38 super???

KandyRedCoi
04-25-2012, 2:48 PM
ok i pick up my RIA 38super on Monday with plans on converting to a 9mm.

I'm wondering "what if i just keep it 38super for now" and just convert it to 9mm later down the line when it gets harder and more expensive to get the 38super cartridge.

What general advantages or use does the 38super have as oppsed to running the cheaper 9mm or the heavier 45acp (from my last purchase 38super cost me almost the same as .45acp) ??? also compared to .357mag/38spl???

was looking to use this also as a backup as a hunting sidearm when i go boar hunting

any info would really really help...thanks!

drifter2be
04-25-2012, 3:32 PM
.38 super has a much higher muzzle energy than a lot of other heavier rounds. Comes pretty close to the 357 magnum. Why not just reload the 38 super and save yourself the money. Would actually be cheaper per round than buying the cheapest stuff you can find.

Some handgun ballistics data for you to compare everything.

http://www.ballistics101.com/38_super.php

testarija@yahoo.com
04-25-2012, 3:36 PM
I thought the RIA 1911's were available in 9mm.

zfields
04-25-2012, 3:39 PM
I thought the RIA 1911's were available in 9mm.

They are, just not on the list though.

KandyRedCoi
04-25-2012, 4:56 PM
.38 super has a much higher muzzle energy than a lot of other heavier rounds. Comes pretty close to the 357 magnum. Why not just reload the 38 super and save yourself the money. Would actually be cheaper per round than buying the cheapest stuff you can find.

Some handgun ballistics data for you to compare everything.

http://www.ballistics101.com/38_super.php

naw, i dont reload...but i already have .45acp so buying any ammo at the same price point is OK for my pocket...i only thought of 9mm because i like shooting 1911 but wanted to shoot for less...:cool2:

Icypu
04-25-2012, 5:04 PM
.38 super is good especially since it was used historically to pierce car doors.

Bug Splat
04-25-2012, 5:10 PM
38super is just slightly more powerful than 9mm but not enough to notice. Its still a couple hundred pounds away from 357mag though. Its an accurate round and it would be a shame to convert it. I'd leave it and start reloading. Even a cheap Lee kit for $100 is plenty to get you started. You will spend more on your first case of 38super ammo than if you just bought the supplies and a lee kit.

KandyRedCoi
04-25-2012, 5:16 PM
38super is just slightly more powerful than 9mm but not enough to notice. Its still a couple hundred pounds away from 357mag though. Its an accurate round and it would be a shame to convert it. I'd leave it and start reloading. Even a cheap Lee kit for $100 is plenty to get you started. You will spend more on your first case of 38super ammo than if you just bought the supplies and a lee kit.

link me...thats interesting...although i did only pay $15.99/box of 50rds

i will def look into reloading if the price is right ... i know nothing about reloading tho :o

VegasND
04-25-2012, 5:47 PM
$16/50 is cheap for .38 Super and hard to consistently find near that price.

9mm can still be found for under $10/50 so the cost of a barrel and magazines can pay for itself quick.

There's several threads around here where folks talk about converting 1911s to fire both cartridges. Read a few of them and decide for yourself if it's worth it.

Reloading is still the best for value. Losing 9mm brass won't bug you a lot but I guarantee you'll notice every time you can't retrieve one for the .38 Super.

robcoe
04-25-2012, 5:58 PM
ok i pick up my RIA 38super on Monday with plans on converting to a 9mm.

I'm wondering "what if i just keep it 38super for now" and just convert it to 9mm later down the line when it gets harder and more expensive to get the 38super cartridge.

What general advantages or use does the 38super have as oppsed to running the cheaper 9mm or the heavier 45acp (from my last purchase 38super cost me almost the same as .45acp) ??? also compared to .357mag/38spl???

was looking to use this also as a backup as a hunting sidearm when i go boar hunting

any info would really really help...thanks!

It's a workable idea, but I would still buy the parts to convert, it's not like you're locked into 9mm once you do it.

When I converted mine it just needed a barrel, barrel link pin and barrel link(needed a very short one). noting else to tweak and I could swap back and forth between 9mm and .38 super.

KandyRedCoi
04-25-2012, 7:21 PM
$16/50 is cheap for .38 Super and hard to consistently find near that price.

9mm can still be found for under $10/50 so the cost of a barrel and magazines can pay for itself quick.

There's several threads around here where folks talk about converting 1911s to fire both cartridges. Read a few of them and decide for yourself if it's worth it.

Reloading is still the best for value. Losing 9mm brass won't bug you a lot but I guarantee you'll notice every time you can't retrieve one for the .38 Super.

It's a workable idea, but I would still buy the parts to convert, it's not like you're locked into 9mm once you do it.

When I converted mine it just needed a barrel, barrel link pin and barrel link(needed a very short one). noting else to tweak and I could swap back and forth between 9mm and .38 super.
converting is def still ON the table, and i will do it sooner than later

i was just thinking if the 38super was worth shooting for my basic needs
plinking and hunting sidearm, if neither would fit the bill, then the 9mm conv. is in its near future

ill probably shoot a few hundreds rounds of 38super to break her in...and while i do that ill slowly piece together the parts to convert it, called a few places and they are backordered on the main part which is the bbl

i can get 9mm for cheap as well but at $16/50 for 38super its not bad at all, i just have to order bulk as it is online

zfields
04-26-2012, 1:55 AM
The real advantage of 38 super is when you reload. You can get some nasty velocity with it without having as much overpressure in the case compared to some of the really hot 9mm loads.

psango
04-26-2012, 3:16 AM
Why not fit it for super and 9mm? You can tune the extractor and ejector to favor the round you like best. But would still function with the other. I buy factory super online <$20 all the time keep at least 1500 on hand to hedge against panic buying. Save the brass to reload or sell.

KandyRedCoi
04-26-2012, 9:01 AM
^thats actually the plan, im just determining whether i should do it asap or slowly do it...would also like to learn how to reload :) eventually

InGrAM
04-26-2012, 3:25 PM
Shoot both, you can swap back and forth by just swapping out the barrel and magazines. Very fun. :D

The 38 super didn't impress me. 9mm is much cheaper and just as good, IMO. Now, if you reload like others have said, then the 38 super shines and can become a great round.

KandyRedCoi
04-26-2012, 4:11 PM
got it...now the waiting game begins...sarco doesnt have the bbl in stock