PDA

View Full Version : Beretta lube question

frontseat767
04-25-2012, 3:04 PM
Have heard pro & con about leaving too much lube on the Beretta 92FS rails after cleaning. I think the same would hold true for the smaller similar Beretta Cheetah 84/85 or Browning BDA .380.

Some say you leave a lot of lube or it might jam. A fellow Marine friend who uses them regularly on duty says NOT to leave much lube after cleaning.

Anyone know the correct answer?
Thanks.

Mazdaspeed Jon
04-25-2012, 3:22 PM
I would say it really depends. If you are oiling for storage then I say make it wet. If you are oiling for shooting then you want to make sure that all of the contact surfaces have a decent amount (read: not dripping wet but sufficiently covered) of oil on them and wipe off the excess after reassembly and manipulating the slide and trigger a few times. No matter what keep oil away from the firing pin so you don't get an over-abundance of buildup there. But really, no matter what anyone says, you are going to be hard pressed to find the "right" answer. It comes down to knowing your gun and how much oil it likes as well as looking at what purpose you are oiling it for (storage, use, abuse, other).

frontseat767
04-25-2012, 3:24 PM
Thanks Jon. Mainly for usage & what I'm hearing back makes sense.

Write Winger
04-25-2012, 3:26 PM
My 92fs is cleaned well and a drop or two of oil on the rails for storage and before going to the range. Jams like crazy dry, never had an issue wet though never let it drip.

frontseat767
04-25-2012, 3:31 PM
Thanks WW. I'm catchin on to how much to add & when.

tbhracing
04-25-2012, 3:35 PM
Tagged for interest, thank you.

a308garand
04-25-2012, 3:47 PM
Disassemble the pistol and add a small drop of oil on:
1- Each frame rail. That is three per side.
2- Inside the slide (where the frame rail fits) gets two drops of oil, one in front and one in back, both sides.
3- Drop of oil on the locking block, one each on the front and back pivot points.
4- If you have the metal guide rod, one drop on the rod before you put the spring back on. If plastic guide rod, no oil.

Reassemble the pistol and add a small drop of oil on:
5- The exposed "wings" of the locking block, you can see them exposed on each side of the barrel, one drop on each side.
6- Side of the hammer pivot, one drop each side.

Rack the slide a few times to distribute the oil. Any oil remaining on the pistol can be wiped down with a rag, covering the exterior of the pistol.

If you have oil draining out of the slide, you used too much. Small drops only.

This sounds like a bunch of work, but really only takes less than a minute. It leaves behind enough oil to ensure you pistol functions great.

The Beretta will work dirty or clean as long as it has oil. Dry gun will slow down and jamb.

frontseat767
04-25-2012, 3:52 PM
Excellent breakdown. Thanks v much 308.

FalconLair
04-25-2012, 4:07 PM
anybody use tube grease instead of oil? Doesn't run at all and spreads nicely using the slide back and forth a few times. Requires a little more intensity to clean and reapply but you don't have to worry about oil run all over the firearm. I still use a few drops of oil on the locking block, recoil guide and spring and maybe a few other small spots but I think grease on the slide rail works better, just my opinion.

jessegpresley
04-25-2012, 4:10 PM
A fellow Marine friend who uses them regularly on duty says NOT to leave much lube after cleaning.

Perhaps this was taught/learned because of sand sticking to the excess lube on the pistol, for those deployed in the sandbox.

frontseat767
04-25-2012, 4:39 PM
More good answers & info. Thanks all.

Write Winger
04-25-2012, 7:05 PM
I think I like the way oil just effortlessly spreads on its own. Honestly, I've never tried grease... maybe I'll give it a try next time.

osxar
04-25-2012, 7:08 PM
Mine likes to run wet. I am currently doing a 2000 round challenge with mine. At 500 now so have a bit more to go.

huckberry668
04-25-2012, 10:28 PM
I've owned and shot Beretta 92/96 for over 20 years. The only time it malfunctioned was when I completely degreased the entire gun as an experiment. The slide failed to even open partially. 1 drop of light oil on the locking block/barrel contact surface restored full function. The Beretta 92 barrel runs parallel on rails. the only part that locks is the locking block that contacts the barrel and slide recess.

My experience is, it'll function as long as the gun is not completed degreased and run good mags.

frontseat767
04-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Thanks again for all the re's.