PDA

View Full Version : resident alien questions

Sal
04-28-2007, 4:14 AM
One of my friends who is an alien resident wants to build a 1911 from a part kit and a 80% receiver, just wondering about the legalities of this?

Can resident aliens own pistols/firearms in california?

Can they build their own firearms? i know its a right for citizens, but not sure if he can build one.

Thanks!

WokMaster1
04-28-2007, 9:33 AM
Legal resident aliens can do everything a citizen can do EXCEPT vote, be a juror & run for government office.

They are allowed to own firearms & are subject to the same laws as citizens. Same goes to building your own firearms. Follow the ATF requirements to the letter. Call them up if you have any questions or better yet, write them a letter so you can a black & white copy of what they tell you. I'm sure someone will tell you more about Cal DOJ's position on this. Do a search here for 80% builds. There is a lot of info here.

Good luck.:)

WokMaster1
04-28-2007, 12:06 PM
You're right about the over simplification. Love to hear more about the things green card residents can't do vs a citizen. I'm here to learn:D

WokMaster1's answer is way over-simplified. In many many laws, resident aliens (defined de-facto as: holders of green cards) are treated distinctly from citizens.

As far as firearms go: for the purpose of owning and buying them, they have nearly the same rights as citizens. There is one complication: before buying a firearm, they need to demonstrate that they have been a resident of the state for 90 days. This typically requires bringing three sets of utility bills (electric bills or phone bills do nicely), one for each month.

There are issues with resident aliens and buying CMP rifles, and C&R licenses, but those are not the topic being discussed here. Also: even non-resident aliens can buy and own firearms, but the rules there are a little more complex, again not the topic of discussion here.

If I were the friend, I would first read everything on the ATF website, then read the original federal laws, and then send a letter to the ATF requesting clarification, then wait for the positive response. This is not strictly necessary, but makes for a good insurance policy.