PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning fluids

RimReaper
04-25-2012, 11:25 AM
What are your preferred cleaning fluids. Need to clean a new 93r17.

Izzy43
04-25-2012, 11:45 AM
I use Hoppe's #9 on all my rimfires and CLP on the bolts and semi-auto actions. I have one 17HMR and one 22WMR that as you know use copper jacketed ammo. So at some point and I'm not sure when, I may need a more aggressive copper removal solvent. So far copper fouling has not been an issue with either.

I try not to clean more than necessary, usually when accuracy falls off. More barrels have been ruined by over cleaning than by shooting. If its shooting good I don't clean it.

I do not use rods to clean my barrels but prefer a boresnake or patchworm for quick cleaning and the Otis system for more thorough cleaning. I have less worries about crown damage with these systems.

RimReaper
04-25-2012, 12:10 PM
I use Hoppe's #9 on all my rimfires and CLP on the bolts and semi-auto actions. I have one 17HMR and one 22WMR that as you know use copper jacketed ammo. So at some point and I'm not sure when, I may need a more aggressive copper removal solvent. So far copper fouling has not been an issue with either.

I try not to clean more than necessary, usually when accuracy falls off. More barrels have been ruined by over cleaning than by shooting. If its shooting good I don't clean it.

I do not use rods to clean my barrels but prefer a boresnake or patchworm for quick cleaning and the Otis system for more thorough cleaning. I have less worries about crown damage with these systems.

I'm definitely getting a bore snake for in the field but haven't decided on the whole rod issue. Been doing some reading up on it on the interwebs and opinions are quite diverse! Oh and I ordered that vortex crossfire 2 6-18x44. I'll update the other thread after I get to using it.

Izzy43
04-25-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm definitely getting a bore snake for in the field but haven't decided on the whole rod issue. Been doing some reading up on it on the interwebs and opinions are quite diverse! Oh and I ordered that vortex crossfire 2 6-18x44. I'll update the other thread after I get to using it.

Cleaning is a area that has very diverse opiniions as you say. One issue there is that looking in the barrel seeing a nice shiny bore doesn't mean its clean. Its hard to see built up lead (at times). The best indicator is getting clean patches thru the bore after cleaning.

Please do a review on that scope, its on my radar for a future purchase. One thing for sure, you can't beat the Vortex VIP warranty equal to Leupold's or maybe better.

shamaz
04-25-2012, 12:42 PM
I've started using Gunzilla since my sons gifted me a bottle. We find that it cleans the bore five times faster than Hoppe's #9 without the strong lingering odor and it's a non-toxic, plant-based formula. I still use small amounts of Hoppe's gun oil to lubricate bearings and lightly coat exterior metal parts. Some folks in the US military has also been using Gunzilla instead of the gov't-issued cleaner and finding that their firearms function much better with the Gunzilla cleaning--especially noticing less jams. You can find it online. Carefully peruse the various online reviews of the product, YMMV. At any rate....Let's go shooting!

wjc
04-25-2012, 6:11 PM
Hoppe's #9

It's my cologne of choice! :D