PDA

View Full Version : firearm at the work place

evanta2ist
04-25-2012, 12:08 PM
its probably a dumb question, but i know i can have a loaded firearm at my workplace,but does it have to be visible? and if i carry it in my shop do i have to have it exposed or is it like in your house,you can have it where ever you want? if it helps im in la county,thanks

tacticalcity
04-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Your employer will determine that via their company policy. My day job company does not allow firearms (or weapons of any kind) on site. Signs are posted to that effect.

Firearms can however, be locked in your vehichle, just not on your person - per the owner of the company. He personally would not care if you carried, but the lawyers convinced him it is a bad idea and so like most bosses he went the CYA route. Plus there is the image thing. We have a lot of left leaning employees and lots of customers coming and going.

Knives are allowed, pocket folders and lpocket tools at least. Because they are considered a tool by management necessary for opening boxes and other warehouse related tasks. It is more of a look the other way for practicality sake thing. No giant fixed blades in sheaths because they are too much in your face. Too many liberals would notice them and get offended.

bikr4jc
04-25-2012, 12:17 PM
If it is your business you can carry a concealed weapon on you while inside your business, if you go out to throw trash you have to take it off....

evanta2ist
04-25-2012, 12:18 PM
i work at a tattoo shop i know my boss doesnt care,we go shooting and to gun shows together.im more concerned with the legality of carrying.

paul0660
04-25-2012, 12:29 PM
i work at a tattoo shop i know my boss doesnt care,we go shooting and to gun shows together.im more concerned with the legality of carrying.

He can carry a loaded concealed handgun, you can have access to one.

The law is not specific, but that is the way I read it.

Mr.1904
04-25-2012, 12:48 PM

Yes.

It is legal to carry concealed in your place of work, or home. Now if your work had a policy against or something outlining guns in the workplace than you would have to abide by those rules if you wanted to keep your job. You can have a gun on you at home, and on you at work unless stated otherwise. Once you enter a public place (outside) you can not have a gun on you.

Bug Splat
04-25-2012, 12:57 PM
It is up to the business owner like others have said. Some are ok with and and some are not. You really have to ask. One of my job prohibits all "weapons" yet I still get away with a huge knife. My other job is working at our family business where they let me do what ever I want :D

tacticalcity
04-25-2012, 1:07 PM
Get written permission from your boss on what is company policy. He determines what is and is not allowed. "He doesn't care" doesn't cut it. Because if something happens, he will throw you under the bus to save himself from as much liability as he can. You want it in writting.

Once you have a carry permit you will learn that liability becomes a huge factor in deciding when and where you carry. This is why a lot of off duty cops would rather not carry. Especially guys moonlighing in security jobs. They don't have the same legal protection (from a civil perspective) during that off duty job as they do during their day job as law enforcement.

Librarian
04-25-2012, 2:03 PM
See the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Unlicensed_Concealed_Carry

It looks like
* if you own the place, you can carry concealed (this is clear)
* if you just work there, you can carry, but NOT concealed unless you have LTC

And, as others have noted, only INSIDE the business, unless you have LTC.

HondaMasterTech
04-25-2012, 2:32 PM
We openly carry guns all day long at work and nobody freaks out.

Bigtwin
04-25-2012, 6:26 PM
There you have it. All the above is true to the best of my research. The owner/landlord makes the rules, thankfully my shop is pro gun(no not a gunstore). We love us some firearms....none of which are visable to the public.........but always in arms reach!