PDA

View Full Version : Yet another LPK question

Farrier-1
04-25-2012, 10:27 AM
...............and yet another first time builder.

I bought a stripped NOS KD lower and a Geissele SSA trigger.

My question is this: Does any one mfg of LPK's, have better springs, pins etc that are of more quality than others?

Thanks.

gun toting monkeyboy
04-25-2012, 2:36 PM
Yes and no. For the most part all of the different "Brands" out there get their parts for these kits from the same few manufacturers. There are only so many shops in the country that make triggers or roll pins. So the odds are that the LPK you get from DPMS has the same thing as the one you get from BCM or PSA. The quality if the springs and triggers and such is usually about the same.

That being said, some of the different brands seem to have somewhat looser tolerances for what they will accept for their kits. 90%+ of the time it won't make a lick of difference. However, I see more complaints on here and elsewhere about DPMS kits having trouble with their roll pins than any other 3 brands combined. I would hold it against DPMS except for the fact that they are usually the lowest cost, most commonly bought LPKs out there. When you turn out that many kits, you are bound to run into some issues here and there. Even if they have the exact same percentage of their kits with out of spec parts as other brands, because there are so many of them out there, we will hear about them more often. Personally I have had trouble with DPMS kits, and others. It all seems to be luck of the draw. I still use DPMS kit because I can usually get them for 15-20% cheaper. And all that is generally needed to get them to work is a well-placed whack with a hammer and punch.

-Mb

ocabj
04-25-2012, 2:40 PM
Use the springs and pins that came with the Geissele.

Farrier-1
04-26-2012, 7:03 AM
Use the springs and pins that came with the Geissele.

For sure. I was refering to the other pins/springs and such that's needed to finish the lower.

gun toting monkeyboy
04-26-2012, 9:08 AM
If you are really stressed about it, you can always go get Wolff brand springs for everything on your AR. I don't normally bother. Most people don't. As long as the pins can be driven into the correct holes, it isn't that big of a deal. Just lube them up with a little oil and use whichever method amuses you to push them in. There are many videos online that show you how. The only one that you can really bugger up is the trigger guard roll pin, if you don't support the "ears" as you put it in. Other than that, the most you are likely to do is mar the finish on your lower if you aren't careful. Lowers aren't rocket science. I have literally put one together with a rock and a plastic chopstick. Don't stress.

-Mb

tonyxcom
04-26-2012, 1:36 PM
With the exception of the bolt catch and fire control group and maybe the magazine catch, I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of the springs, detents, and takedown/pivot pins. Although crappy takedown/pivot pins can be tight fitting because of uneven finishing but a little time in a scotch bright pad will cure that pretty quick.

I am in the same boat. This is my second Mega build with a Giessele trigger and I just today purchased what I needed to complete the lower from the a la cart section at Palmetto. The last one I did I used Armalite parts from DSGArms but they were out of stock on a lot of it. I think Palmetto has a kit minus the FCG for $34 and their shipping is reasonable, although shipping time is their weakness.