PDA

View Full Version : If ebay and paypal are so anti-gun...

Elwood_Blues
04-25-2012, 10:04 AM
...then how come there are so many magazines for sale there?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=glock+17+magazine

Remember VA Tech massacre? I thought that the shooter bought his mags on ebay and after that, ebay banned sale of any firearm magazines. I just don't get it.

mark2203
04-25-2012, 10:08 AM
There's a lot of money to be had in the firearm industry. The money likely outweighed the politics.

berg
04-25-2012, 10:08 AM
...then how come there are so many magazines for sale there?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=glock+17+magazine

Remember VA Tech massacre? I thought that the shooter bought his mags on ebay and after that, ebay banned sale of any firearm magazines. I just don't get it.

They recently reversed their policy of no gun parts and no mags. They still seem to prohibit magazines holding over 10 rounds.

zfields
04-25-2012, 10:09 AM
Money talks.

I know personally, we only use paypal because there is no other *real* option for online payment processing that is reasonable for our business.

Elwood_Blues
04-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Really? So does that mean that paypal won't put hold on your funds or lock your account now, regardless of whatever gun words you have in the transaction description?

zfields
04-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Really? So does that mean that paypal won't put hold on your funds or lock your account now, regardless of whatever gun words you have in the transaction description?

We have been selling rifle slings for a while now.

Elwood_Blues
04-25-2012, 10:23 AM
They recently reversed their policy of no gun parts and no mags. They still seem to prohibit magazines holding over 10 rounds.

Got a link to any info regarding the change? I just wanted to see what they have to say about it. When did that policy take place?

We have been selling rifle slings for a while now.

I noticed that before the magazines started showing up, there were some subtle gun parts i.e. slings and such as they didn't seem to be as frowned upon.

tacticalcity
04-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Magazine, barrel, trigger, etc. change just happened this week.

The announcement for the change came via an automated phone call to existing members. You can look at the chart on their firearms page and see that these items went from Prohibited to Restricted.

Before this week we could only sell things like slings, sights, etc. Nothing that had anything to do with functionality, just creature comforts. For whatever reason they reversed that decision last week. Hicaps however, are still banned. I am sure a lot of things are still banned, I have not tested the waters too much to figure out where the line is.

Anything assault rifle (in the broadest sense of the term) related is still against the rules. They use links to several now obsolete pages on the DOJ website to justify this decision. Things no longer valid thanks to the Harris decision. Several hundred emails from people like myself and pro-gun organizations requesting they revise the policy and that the DOJ remove the obsolete information from their website have fallen of deaf ears.

http://www.tacticalauctions.com and http://www.tacticalstop.com are my two ebay stores.

Elwood_Blues
04-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the info tacticalcity. I'm just reading the ebay firearms, weapons, and knives policy. Much to my surprise, Atom or nuclear weapons are not allowed :rolleyes:

zfields
04-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Magazine, barrel, trigger, etc. change just happened this week.

The announcement for the change came via an automated phone call to existing members. You can look at the chart on their firearms page and see that these items went from Prohibited to Restricted.

Before this week we could only sell things like slings, sights, etc. Nothing that had anything to do with functionality, just creature comforts. For whatever reason they reversed that decision last week. Hicaps however, are still banned. I am sure a lot of things are still banned, I have not tested the waters too much to figure out where the line is.

Anything assault rifle (in the broadest sense of the term) related is still against the rules. They use links to several now obsolete pages on the DOJ website to justify this decision. Things no longer valid thanks to the Harris decision. Several hundred emails from people like myself and pro-gun organizations requesting they revise the policy and that the DOJ remove the obsolete information from their website have fallen of deaf ears.

http://www.tacticalauctions.com and http://www.tacticalstop.com are my two ebay stores.

I love the picture on this item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKY-MOUNTAIN-SINGLE-POINT-MOLLE-VEST-Y-SLING-BLACK-GREEN-TAN-/261005912472?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc52a2998#ht_500wt_1180

I know we had a few auctions killed off and warnings received for having magazines or the barrel of a firearm in photos in the past.

Forewarned
04-25-2012, 10:58 AM
I tried to buy reloading dies and 1x used brass from a CGer here. He wanted to use "wepay", they killed the deal. They asked very intrusive questions like "what was I doing with it?" and "what was it for?" I said over and over again that it was scrap metal and metal forming tools but they didn't like it and killed it. I must have danced around the questions with that guy on the phone for 30 min trying to convince him to let the deal go through.

Ubermcoupe
04-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Money talks.

I know personally, we only use paypal because there is no other *real* option for online payment processing that is reasonable for our business.

Gunpal? :kest: Too soon???

tacticalcity
04-25-2012, 12:47 PM
I love the picture on this item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKY-MOUNTAIN-SINGLE-POINT-MOLLE-VEST-Y-SLING-BLACK-GREEN-TAN-/261005912472?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc52a2998#ht_500wt_1180

I know we had a few auctions killed off and warnings received for having magazines or the barrel of a firearm in photos in the past.

Despite jumping through those kind of hoops my "policy compliance" is stuck at "very low". I get nailed for the dumbest things. 99% of the time they are wrong, and I am within policy. But there is no fighting it. That department cannot be reached by phone and refuses to discuss their decisions. It is infuriating. But I make too much money there to stop selling on eBay. Money talks!

However, the recent change in policy does show that they are realizing how important we are to their business. It is only a matter of time before the Assult Rifle policy changes, since they are in fact legal here in CA. The more of their business we make up, the more we get our way.

tal3nt
04-25-2012, 1:05 PM
I was never aware of any of this as I do not purchase off those websites, however I feel like if they are going to go that route and ban gun parts or whatever then they should stick it through instead of revising their policy and making themselves look foolish and desperate. With that said I think gun parts should be available at the gas station.

bohoki
04-25-2012, 1:08 PM
now if only they would allow fired brass sales

i used to be able to get 45 acp for like 2 cents each

tacticalcity
04-25-2012, 1:15 PM
I was never aware of any of this as I do not purchase off those websites, however I feel like if they are going to go that route and ban gun parts or whatever then they should stick it through instead of revising their policy and making themselves look foolish and desperate. With that said I think gun parts should be available at the gas station.

Ebay makes up about 1/4 of my income (and growing). So obviously I want them to allow as much gun stuff as possible. Much of what I sell now used to not be allowed. So an evolving policy works for me...I just wish it would evolve faster!

tal3nt
04-25-2012, 1:20 PM
Of course they should allow it, I was only suggesting that they should never have made any changes in the first place. How can a website be to blame for a school shooting

SoCalSig1911
04-25-2012, 1:23 PM
Funny i was just bidding on some 10 round mags for my 92fs and was wondering how they were on ebay or if the auction would get cancelled before i won, then i come here and get mah edumacation! Nice! I noticed someone said something about over 10rds not selling there but people are selling kits...

Packy14
04-25-2012, 1:29 PM
Personally I think we shouldn't give either of them 1 cent. They are some of the most self righteous POS companies around. I only use paypal if i have to, and do it discretely.

Mr. Beretta
04-25-2012, 1:30 PM
I don't like them...don't use them...don't trust them !

SoCalSig1911
04-25-2012, 1:44 PM
Personally I think we shouldn't give either of them 1 cent. They are some of the most self righteous POS companies around. I only use paypal if i have to, and do it discretely.

I hear that, but if you were going to save 50% on a part by going through them it's kind of hard to let the sentiment get in the way.. I mean it's eBay, not the Taliban.. Lol

zfields
04-25-2012, 1:58 PM

Hate to say it, but from a sellers perspective they are the only big name out there. Gunbroker is a joke these days for firearm parts/accessories. Everything is either WAY overpriced, or made in china junk, or both. There search function is crap, there site layout is crap, and not to mention just about all sales are ran through paypal anyways. Google wallet had a chance to make it big, but there rates are the same, and they don't advertise nearly enough.

zfields
04-25-2012, 2:00 PM
Despite jumping through those kind of hoops my "policy compliance" is stuck at "very low". I get nailed for the dumbest things. 99% of the time they are wrong, and I am within policy. But there is no fighting it. That department cannot be reached by phone and refuses to discuss their decisions. It is infuriating. But I make too much money there to stop selling on eBay. Money talks!

However, the recent change in policy does show that they are realizing how important we are to their business. It is only a matter of time before the Assult Rifle policy changes, since they are in fact legal here in CA. The more of their business we make up, the more we get our way.

I've never bothered to check, or call them. We mainly use ebay to advertise, we sell 90% of our stuff from "ebay member" outside ebay.

Cyphre
04-25-2012, 2:08 PM
General firearms related policy in ebay have relaxed over the years, to where sites like Gunbroker haven't gotten any more popular (or instead flooded with garbage). In earlier days, there was pretty strict policy, and thanks to your generous down-home, do-gooders who surfed ebay, things got reported inconsistently by labeling things as guns or gun parts. In general, things do get taken down, but the larger sellers have simply adapted over time by doing things like editing pictures so the gun is a different color when selling things like holsters, and listening specifically that certain things were incapable of firing (repros/replicas).

The magazine related thing was just damage control on part of ebay, putting up a public image that they were doing their darnedest to regulate and prevent such atrocities in the future. And as with all public imagery, its only ever relevant for a brief period of time.