PDA

View Full Version : AZ peeps; How do ammo prices compare to CA?

whipkiller
04-25-2012, 9:06 AM
Going to visit some family in Phoenix area (Goodyear, actually) in a few weeks, and the boys are gonna' do a shooting day, so I'm wondering if I would save any money buying my ammo there.

Thinking mainly of .40 & .45, not too worried about 9mm.

Not to mention, my local WallyWorld shelves have been a little bare lately.

Any super cool gun stores that I should check out while I'm there?

On a side note, what are the restrictions on CA residents carrying in AZ? I'm assuming no school zones, no conceal, what else?

I don't know that I will, but it's nice to know that I can.

Capybara
04-25-2012, 9:24 AM
I go to AZ at least once a month for business but I have not bought ammo out there nor have I noticed the prices, but if they are like gas and food, should be about the same as here.

You must go check out:
http://www.scottsdalegunclub.com/ I usually go and rent an Uzi or an HK MP5 and shoot some full auto fun. Great store there to just browse.

Right next door to the SGC is www.usautoweapons.com This is the best gun store I have ever been in, the selection is astounding and it makes all California gun stores look weak in comparison. They have every cool NFA toy known to man but they have "normal" guns as well and good sales associates. I bought my Ruger SR22 from them when everyone is California was out of them a few months ago.

Both of these places are high end and cater to well-heeled people but are really fun to just look at.

I have been to half a dozen other gun shops and ranges in Phoenix and really, everything else was just average, about what you will see in SoCal except that they get suppressors and SBRs which we don't and they get all of the cool handguns that are not on the roster here. Most of the other Phoenix gun shops were just so, so, the two above are worth the drive up north to Scottsdale, they are still only about 20 minutes from downtown Phoenix.

Have fun.

ckprax
04-25-2012, 9:31 AM
On a side note, what are the restrictions on CA residents carrying in AZ? I'm assuming no school zones, no conceal, what else?

I don't know that I will, but it's nice to know that I can.

AZ is constitutional carry, you can choose to carry openly or concealed, loaded of course :cool: I believe school zones and restaurants that serve alcohol are off limits but it has been awhile since I looked into it.

whipkiller
04-25-2012, 9:55 AM
AZ is constitutional carry, you can choose to carry openly or concealed, loaded of course :cool: I believe school zones and restaurants that serve alcohol are off limits but it has been awhile since I looked into it.

So I guess the reason I don't see more people carrying, is just 'cuz they're concealed.

For some reason I was thinking that I, as a non-resident with no AZ permit, could only open carry.

zfields
04-25-2012, 10:07 AM
I can tell you here in TX, its about the same. But I mainly buy ammo at cabelas or walmart still.

john.t.singh
04-25-2012, 10:10 AM
you do realize that Arizona has sales tax of almost 9%+ right? Thats equivalent to losing 2% no matter how you cut it...

rromeo
04-25-2012, 10:12 AM
I think ammo prices are pretty consistent across the country. Some guns may be cheaper, but I still buy from Walmart what I don't reload.

zfields
04-25-2012, 10:27 AM
you do realize that Arizona has sales tax of almost 9%+ right? Thats equivalent to losing 2% no matter how you cut it...

And most of CA is right around that also.

whipkiller
04-25-2012, 10:32 AM
I go to AZ at least once a month for business but I have not bought ammo out there nor have I noticed the prices, but if they are like gas and food, should be about the same as here.

You must go check out:
http://www.scottsdalegunclub.com/ I usually go and rent an Uzi or an HK MP5 and shoot some full auto fun. Great store there to just browse.

Right next door to the SGC is www.usautoweapons.com This is the best gun store I have ever been in, the selection is astounding and it makes all California gun stores look weak in comparison. They have every cool NFA toy known to man but they have "normal" guns as well and good sales associates. I bought my Ruger SR22 from them when everyone is California was out of them a few months ago.

Both of these places are high end and cater to well-heeled people but are really fun to just look at.

I have been to half a dozen other gun shops and ranges in Phoenix and really, everything else was just average, about what you will see in SoCal except that they get suppressors and SBRs which we don't and they get all of the cool handguns that are not on the roster here. Most of the other Phoenix gun shops were just so, so, the two above are worth the drive up north to Scottsdale, they are still only about 20 minutes from downtown Phoenix.

Have fun.

I completely forgot about full-auto fun!

If it's anything like the prices I saw when I was thinking about doing it in Vegas though, I just can't justify spending that kind of coin for a few minutes of incredible fun. One day I will I'm sure, but not right now.

KeithG
04-25-2012, 11:42 AM
I buy my ammo in Stillwell, OK but I've never been there www.sgammo.com. Delivery takes less than a week and costs less than sales tax.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Capybara
04-25-2012, 12:17 PM
It's cheaper than Vegas but not by much. It is expensive but you don't have to buy an NFA weapon, get a trust, etc. You just plop down your card, they hand you the gun and some mags of ammo and you have fun! Seems like a good deal to me.

What I haven't asked them is if I can shoot my own ammo through their full auto guns but I doubt they will let you, ammo is a profit center for shooting ranges,

Seriously, it is almost as fun to watch as it is to shoot and the place is fun to just look around, which is free. Check it out of you have time. You'll at least see what a real gun store in a free state looks like.

I completely forgot about full-auto fun!

If it's anything like the prices I saw when I was thinking about doing it in Vegas though, I just can't justify spending that kind of coin for a few minutes of incredible fun. One day I will I'm sure, but not right now.

zfields
04-25-2012, 12:41 PM
It's cheaper than Vegas but not by much. It is expensive but you don't have to buy an NFA weapon, get a trust, etc. You just plop down your card, they hand you the gun and some mags of ammo and you have fun! Seems like a good deal to me.

What I haven't asked them is if I can shoot my own ammo through their full auto guns but I doubt they will let you, ammo is a profit center for shooting ranges,

Seriously, it is almost as fun to watch as it is to shoot and the place is fun to just look around, which is free. Check it out of you have time. You'll at least see what a real gun store in a free state looks like.

They also don't want you blowing up there very expensive guns with crappy ammo.

J.D.Allen
04-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Questions come up here about carrying in AZ all the time. I still think we should think about doing a sticky thread on it.

First, to answer your question, ammo prices are about the same although availability may be better for some harder to find ammo.

Now about carrying...please do! LOC or CC doesn't matter, you don't need a permit for either. Don't worry about school zones. That is only a federal law. There is no AZ state law against it and you will not have any problems. ON SCHOOL GROUNDS is a different story, you have to leave it in your car in the parking lot, not in plain sight, and with the doors locked. But don't worry about the 1000 ft. thing.

The only thing you have to worry about is bars and restaurants that serve alcohol. Any alcohol. You have to have a LTC to carry in there an it MUST be concealed. No OC in those places. If you have any non resident LTC from any state you are GTG because AZ gives full reciprocity to all states' LTC's.

You can carry loaded and concealed or in plain sight in your car also, just use common sense if you get pulled over and keep your hands on the freaking steering wheel. If an officer stops you and asks if you have a weapon YOU MUST TELL THE TRUTH. Also if he requests it you must surrender the weapon to him for the duration of the lawful stop. He will give it back to you when he releases you.

Mr.1904
04-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Questions come up here about carrying in AZ all the time. I still think we should think about doing a sticky thread on it.

First, to answer your question, ammo prices are about the same although availability may be better for some harder to find ammo.

Now about carrying...please do! LOC or CC doesn't matter, you don't need a permit for either. Don't worry about school zones. That is only a federal law. There is no AZ state law against it and you will not have any problems. ON SCHOOL GROUNDS is a different story, you have to leave it in your car in the parking lot, not in plain sight, and with the doors locked. But don't worry about the 1000 ft. thing.

The only thing you have to worry about is bars and restaurants that serve alcohol. Any alcohol. You have to have a LTC to carry in there an it MUST be concealed. No OC in those places. If you have any non resident LTC from any state you are GTG because AZ gives full reciprocity to all states' LTC's.

You can carry loaded and concealed or in plain sight in your car also, just use common sense if you get pulled over and keep your hands on the freaking steering wheel. If an officer stops you and asks if you have a weapon YOU MUST TELL THE TRUTH. Also if he requests it you must surrender the weapon to him for the duration of the lawful stop. He will give it back to you when he releases you.

I was just there last week from thurs-sun. Carried the entire time. It was awesome. Thought about starting a thread about the experience but have been to lazy, and than busy.

J.D.Allen
04-25-2012, 1:00 PM
I was just there last week from thurs-sun. Carried the entire time. It was awesome. Thought about starting a thread about the experience but have been to lazy, and than busy.

Here. Read this thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=339096

beretta929mm
04-25-2012, 1:50 PM
I think Rambo is from Arizona. That is my only impression of that state.

paul0660
04-25-2012, 1:51 PM
Since Al invented the internet, there is not much difference across the country.

whipkiller
04-25-2012, 11:37 PM
Here. Read this thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=339096

That's awesome! You've inspired me to give my 2A rights a little exercise when I visit your lovely state in a few weeks.

Now my dilemma is which one to carry. Maybe I'll change 'em every day... Let's see, I'll be there 4 days & I only have holsters for 3 of them. I better go get a holster for the SP-01

disturbed1
04-26-2012, 1:08 AM
LOL cool. Hey can you please list some of your experiences from there compared to cali? Please, I am considering moving there after im done with my studies.

IntoForever
04-26-2012, 1:52 AM
Call your family there and have them price it out so you will have first hand pricing and not what we here in Cali remember from a not too recent trip. Hell, synchronize visits to the gun stores so you'll have real time pricing.

PandaLuv
04-26-2012, 4:58 AM

.... Must resist not to go to AZ.... Ugh.

shayski
04-26-2012, 6:46 AM
yes ammo is cheaper in az vs. ca. one there its less tax two everything there is cheaper. if you are already going and dont have time to wait for online orders then pick it up there. i would not make a special trip for it though.

J.D.Allen
04-26-2012, 1:00 PM
yes ammo is cheaper in az vs. ca. one there its less tax two everything there is cheaper. if you are already going and dont have time to wait for online orders then pick it up there. i would not make a special trip for it though.

Um...cool story bro? :confused:

J/K, this really isn't true though. I buy ammo both in AZ and in CA all the time and the prices are really about the same. And as far as taxes, all we're talking about here is sales tax, which can vary between different counties and cities because of local and county ordinances. I don't know about the rest of the state, but Yuma county sales tax is about the same as in Imperial county...

Like I said before the only real difference may be the availability of some items.

J.D.Allen
04-26-2012, 1:01 PM
.... Must resist not to go to AZ.... Ugh.

We are AZ. Resistance is futile. :43: