PDA

View Full Version : Changing RIA 1911 Tactical sights?

stangmar
04-25-2012, 8:12 AM
Hey guys, just wondering how much it would cost to change out the original sights on a RIA 1911 including labor in SF bay area?

I've seen some prices quoted online saying $30 for labor at a gunshow, but not including sights.

Planning to get night sights or fiber optics for rear and front sights.

If it's like about an extra ~$150, I'd rather get a Springfield Loaded. What are your thoughts?

Gary13
04-25-2012, 8:24 AM
I only changed the front, using a FO from Dawson that is made for the RIA. Gunsmith charged me $20 to install iirc.

jessegpresley
04-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Get the Springfield Loaded. It's a good base gun for future smith work as well. You'll never have to sell to upgrade, just send it to the Springfield Custom Shop.

Here's two reputable places to send your slide or gun in for sights, with prices:

http://www.novaksights.com/products/sights/index.html

http://www.heinie.com/information.php?info_id=1

keenkeen
04-25-2012, 11:47 AM
I would say to just get the SA loaded...

NewbieDave
04-25-2012, 12:34 PM
That don't make sense... you want to go NS or fiber for a RIA. But if it cost too much money, you rather upgrade to a SA loaded. BUT you'll still have the sight issue to deal with?

Anyway, get the gun that you want to begin with...I have both, both are shooters and solid. SA use basic Novak drovetail... while RIA is their own. But nothing a fine file can't solve to get sights installed.

Lead Waster
04-25-2012, 12:53 PM
I only changed the front, using a FO from Dawson that is made for the RIA. Gunsmith charged me $20 to install iirc.

How do you like those sights? And what height/width did you get? I'm considering getting a set as well. The stock front sight is too fat for my taste and hard to see. The height is the important factor I think.

Gary13
04-25-2012, 1:03 PM
The RIA Tactical was my first 1911, and now also have a SA Loaded. My loaded, purchased used, came with NS.

The Loaded is a nicer gun all around. So, the old saying, buy once, cry once, does apply if you only plan on purchasing one 1911(most find this impossible). I still like my RIA, but like the Loaded more, but please don't tell the RIA.

stangmar
04-25-2012, 2:21 PM
That don't make sense... you want to go NS or fiber for a RIA. But if it cost too much money, you rather upgrade to a SA loaded. BUT you'll still have the sight issue to deal with?

Anyway, get the gun that you want to begin with...I have both, both are shooters and solid. SA use basic Novak drovetail... while RIA is their own. But nothing a fine file can't solve to get sights installed.

No, a Springfield Loaded w/ Night Sights costs $800 on gungenie, but it is allocated. I guess it's hard to find unless I buy it online for about the same price.

Well I originally wanted the Rock Island Armory because of price. But I never thought about changing out the sights until shooting a lot with my 22/45. Now if I throw in the cost of the sights, it's a slightly less than the Springfield Loaded. Now I'd rather get the loaded considering the cost.