PDA

View Full Version : Fixed or Variable Power Riflescope

SactoPlinker
04-24-2012, 9:49 PM
Hello All!

As my AR nears completion (waiting on my lower), I've been trying to decide between a fixed power scope or a variable scope. My usual go to is a 3-9x40 but I find that I tend to stay on the 7-9x for most of my shooting, (plinking, punching paper) so I was considering a fixed 10x scope. Just looking for some thoughts on the subject and would love to hear from anyone with a fixed power scope.

Thanks for looking!

ExtremeX
04-24-2012, 9:56 PM
A fixed 10x is typically going to provide better optical clarity than a similar priced variable.

Just like camera glass, the fixed power prime lenses are usually superior to their zoom counterparts in terms of clarity, light transfer, and sharpness.

I haven't used this scope, but it seems to be recommended A LOT.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P499.aspx

If you are looking for a zoom 3-9x40, I would highly recommend the Vortex Diamondback. You might want to take a look at this review.

http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29:qinexpensive-scopeq-comparison&catid=4:rifle-scope-reviews&Itemid=4

SactoPlinker
04-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Hmmm...haven't seen the top scope before but the Diamondback I'm familiar with, my friend has one, loves it and when I used his scope, I loved it too.

However, I'll look into SWFA and see what the buzz is all about, that is definitely right at the top of my price range but if it is a good deal, I'll jump on it. Thank You!

ExtremeX
04-24-2012, 10:04 PM
No problem. Im sure other members will chime in with some other fixed power recommendations.

I also have some plans on buying the SWFA SS 10x scope for a Remmy 700 bolt action. I prefer to dial in correct than hold over when shooting. The Diamondback is more of a hunting style scope, so its application is different from the SWFA SS. I really wanted matching MOA/MOA turrents and reticle, im still trying to get over that on the SWFA.

Im a sucker for clear glass, so chances are ill still give the SWFA a shot.

SactoPlinker
04-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Thats how I am too, fixed power is starting to push forward here.

ls2gto
04-24-2012, 10:47 PM
I picked up a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40mm and I'm extremely happy with it. I picked it up for approximately 140 more than the SS and has amazing clarity from sunup to sundown.

jbush
04-24-2012, 10:51 PM
Might try posting this question in the optics forum, I ask some scope questions there a while back and there are some guys with a lot of experience and input.

scotty99
04-24-2012, 11:02 PM
I just took a Burris 2-7 off my AR and replaced it with a 1-4 Burris MTAC. Unless you're planning on shooting over 300 yards routinely, IMO the low power variable is the ideal AR optic. Shooting even at 100 yards at 1x is surprisingly accurate and very fun. And at short ranges, the sight is FAST. I wish I had the $$ for a Short Dot or the Swaro 1-6, but I am very impressed with the MTAC, especially for the money.

17+1
04-24-2012, 11:04 PM
A fixed 10x is typically going to provide better optical clarity than a similar priced variable.

Just like camera glass, the fixed power prime lenses are usually superior to their zoom counterparts in terms of clarity, light transfer, and sharpness.

I haven't used this scope, but it seems to be recommended A LOT.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P499.aspx

This.

The Super Sniper is an excellent scope for the money. I have taken it out to 500 meters at Sac Valley a few times.

smittty
04-25-2012, 8:18 AM
It sounds like your AR is going to be set up for long distance shooting. I prefer fixed powers opens but I think I'd go with a variable something like a 6-24x50. A fixed 10x is going to leave you wanting more magnification at longer distances.

robert101
04-25-2012, 12:53 PM
I'll buck the tide and go with variable power. More versitile and gives you many more options in longer range shooting. The older I get the more my vision changes at the range - strange but true. For about $350 I purchase the Nikon 6-18X40MM Buckmaster scope with mil dot recticle on a Nikon 223 20MOA base mount. For the money a great buy. Its sitting atop my LR308.

OutkastSL
04-25-2012, 1:00 PM
I have the swfa ss 16x fixed and use it only for bench. I've used it for 100 and 200 yards and plan on 600 and 1000 this summer. Great a hope for the money. If its bench only 10x or 16x will suit your needs.

calif 15-22
04-25-2012, 1:39 PM
I'll buck the tide and go with variable power. More versitile and gives you many more options in longer range shooting. The older I get the more my vision changes at the range - strange but true. For about $350 I purchase the Nikon 6-18X40MM Buckmaster scope with mil dot recticle on a Nikon 223 20MOA base mount. For the money a great buy. Its sitting atop my LR308.

I'm also on the variable side. If you are using 10X you must be shooting distance and if your shooting distance you might want more power.

I just got the Nikon M-223 3-12x42. Great scope for a resonable price.
http://www.theriflescopestore.com/niri.html

SactoPlinker
04-25-2012, 2:46 PM
It sounds like your AR is going to be set up for long distance shooting. I prefer fixed powers opens but I think I'd go with a variable something like a 6-24x50. A fixed 10x is going to leave you wanting more magnification at longer distances.

Yes, this one is going to be set up for distance and precision, which is an expensive downfall of mine haha. I like variable magnification because that's what I've always used but at the same time I feel like fixed power has something to offer. The farthest I've shot an AR was 300 yards at Sac Valley, I'm looking to bump that up.

Short Action Precision
04-25-2012, 3:06 PM
What is your budget? If you are looking at just shooting of the bench in a none rushed manner out to distances past a few hundred yards. You can get by with a higher power fixed scope. USO makes a fixed 22x thats pretty sweet! But again might be a little out of your price range! I think the SS 16x sounds like something that would work great for you.

SactoPlinker
04-25-2012, 4:58 PM
What is your budget? If you are looking at just shooting of the bench in a none rushed manner out to distances past a few hundred yards. You can get by with a higher power fixed scope. USO makes a fixed 22x thats pretty sweet! But again might be a little out of your price range! I think the SS 16x sounds like something that would work great for you.

Yeah, $1800 is about $1500 out of my budet haha but I like the idea of a fixed magnification