PDA

View Full Version : My next shotgun, Lanber. What do you guys think?

Mana4real
04-24-2012, 9:22 PM
So I don't have a whole lot of money. I've been emailing Peter at MPArms.com and he recommended a Lanber 2097 shotgun. It's right in my price range and it sounds like a decent gun. Does anyone have any real world experience with them? I know you gotta spend a little to have a quality gun, but this gun would probably be my last gun purchase for a long while. The wife gave me the go ahead, she sees how much shooting clays makes me super happy, so she's okay with this purchase. She understands that I can't bring myself to modify any of the guns handed down to me. I love my Winchester 101, but the fixed full chokes really sucks for Skeet. It's awesome for trap, but I want to get into the other shotgun shooting sports. I need to be able to change the chokes to a larger pattern to be able to enjoy the other sports. I think shooting 25 straight in trap will become easier if I use a modified choke since I'm using full now.

Please give me some opinions guys. I want to make sure that I'm not buying something that's garbage. The reviews I've read online say that it's a good gun for the money, but it's not very popular in the US. I'm open to idea's. I really want to stick to an Over Under. I'm not really a pump or semi auto kinda guy. Thanks in advance.

mikey357
04-24-2012, 10:06 PM
So I don't have a whole lot of money. I've been emailing Peter at MPArms.com and he recommended a Lanber 2097 shotgun. It's right in my price range and it sounds like a decent gun. Does anyone have any real world experience with them? I know you gotta spend a little to have a quality gun, but this gun would probably be my last gun purchase for a long while. The wife gave me the go ahead, she sees how much shooting clays makes me super happy, so she's okay with this purchase. She understands that I can't bring myself to modify any of the guns handed down to me. I love my Winchester 101, but the fixed full chokes really sucks for Skeet. It's awesome for trap, but I want to get into the other shotgun shooting sports. I need to be able to change the chokes to a larger pattern to be able to enjoy the other sports. I think shooting 25 straight in trap will become easier if I use a modified choke since I'm using full now.

Please give me some opinions guys. I want to make sure that I'm not buying something that's garbage. The reviews I've read online say that it's a good gun for the money, but it's not very popular in the US. I'm open to idea's. I really want to stick to an Over Under. I'm not really a pump or semi auto kinda guy. Thanks in advance.

I have heard good things about Lanber. Not much presence in the US but Uk ppl seem to like them. Did you check out CDNN, they have killer prices on the Lanber.

Mana4real
04-24-2012, 10:07 PM
What is CDNN?

RayPDA
04-24-2012, 10:41 PM
This:
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

A good buddy of mine bought one last year (also sold it on here)... Fit and finish was pretty good, especially considering the price. He bought the 2097 Sporting Lux off CDNN. Stuff came up, and had to sell it. This is his review:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=273466

I've held it, felt nice and swung well. Would have bought it off him if the timing had been a bit better and I wasn't pining for a couple of other shotguns. There are some QC issues, the Lanber forum on Shotgunworld has a bevy of info.

That being said:

Browning Citoris and Charles Daly(Mirokus) can be found in your price range, but they'll likely have fixed choked barrels since most of the ones in that range are older....great guns though.

.300 Weatherby Mag
04-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Buy a Browning or a Beretta... Leaves out of lot of issues such as parts availability or a gunsmiths willing to service them..

Being a Spanish manufacturer, the guns can be great, but buying something without parts/service support is a bad idea.. As far as I know, they have no importer currently...

Mana4real
04-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks!!! Mparms is a little but more then I originally thought he would be. I might be going through that webpage you guys suggested instead. I'm trying to figure out the difference in the 2097 and the 2087. The 2087 is cheaper. Everything seems the same except the 2097 looks like it has more fancy drawings on it. I'm a function over form kinda guy. Anyone know if they are mechanically the same? Also need advice on how I would get it in my hands since it needs to go to an FFL.

Dannicus
04-26-2012, 3:45 AM
I've read that people are having good luck with Lanber, but I hesitate. There are a few things that I have heard very little about. How is the customer service? What about parts availability? Has anyone here ever patterned a Lanber? I wonder how well the barrels are set up. People who cheap out on firearms tend to rave about their purchases if the guns just work.

alfred1222
04-26-2012, 9:06 AM
I have one, bought it for sh*ts and giggles and fell in love. i have beretta's, browings, hK fabarms, remingtons, the whole lot, but the lightest gun i have is the lanber, and its one of the most accurate IMO. Its what i use to teach new shooters on, and if you buy one, you wont be disappointed. If youre located near san jose, PM me, you can come check it out and shoot it.

mikey357
04-26-2012, 9:53 AM
Thanks!!! Mparms is a little but more then I originally thought he would be. I might be going through that webpage you guys suggested instead. I'm trying to figure out the difference in the 2097 and the 2087. The 2087 is cheaper. Everything seems the same except the 2097 looks like it has more fancy drawings on it. I'm a function over form kinda guy. Anyone know if they are mechanically the same? Also need advice on how I would get it in my hands since it needs to go to an FFL.

Your FFL can order directly from cdnn. You just have to negotiate the handling fee and dros charges from your ffl.

Mana4real
04-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Your FFL can order directly from cdnn. You just have to negotiate the handling fee and dros charges from your ffl.

Ok, that's good to know. I hate having him do a bunch oh of leg work then I can't purchase from him. I'll contact him again later.

Mana4real
04-28-2012, 9:01 AM
Ok, I just ordered the 2087 hunter version from CDNN. Thanks for the recommendations on that guys!! Saved me some money!! I'm having it transferred to MPArms. The only difference in the 2087 and the 2097 are the looks. So I went with the less expensive gun. I've always been a function over form kinda guy anyways.

mikey357
04-28-2012, 3:54 PM
Ok, I just ordered the 2087 hunter version from CDNN. Thanks for the recommendations on that guys!! Saved me some money!! I'm having it transferred to MPArms. The only difference in the 2087 and the 2097 are the looks. So I went with the less expensive gun. I've always been a function over form kinda guy anyways.

Glad to have saved you some money. Keep us updated on your 2087 when you get it.

Mana4real
04-28-2012, 4:24 PM
Glad to have saved you some money. Keep us updated on your 2087 when you get it.

They said it. Go out on Monday and be at the ffl on Thursday. Once it ships the FFL said I could make an appointment to start the DROS. I just want to be able to take it skeet shooting lol. I was also going to order extra chokes, but they didn't have what I wanted in stock. I wanted another full and a skeet.