View Full Version : My Father Gifting me a Handgun

04-24-2012, 9:12 PM
My father in Penna. purchased a XDm 5.25 Comp. a few weeks ago and believe it or not he does not like it.

He wants to give it to me in CA. where I live.

Any suggestions on if this is possible?


04-24-2012, 9:36 PM

04-24-2012, 9:42 PM
Find a local dealer that understands Intrafamilial transfers. Firearms from parent to child are exempt from the roster of approved handguns, but he can not send you magazines that have a capacity greater than ten rounds. He can disassemble the magazines and send them to you, but you can not assemble them in California unless you permanently modify them to hold only 10 rounds.

You will need a current handgun safety certificate.

Welcome to CalGuns.

04-24-2012, 9:48 PM

Pennsylvania, from before the Zip Code era.

04-24-2012, 10:52 PM
I just did this same thing end of last year. Just find an FFL that knows about intrafamilial transfers, have your dad disassemble the mags and you're good to go. EBR Works sells 10rnd limiters for the XDM to make the mags CA legal. It's a great gun and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

04-25-2012, 2:37 AM
Does he want to adopt another son? ;)

04-25-2012, 1:09 PM
I think I have given my father enough headaches for 5 son's,
and I was the only son.

04-25-2012, 1:10 PM
Everyone and all the information was great, Thanks to all

04-25-2012, 1:12 PM
Pennsylvania, from before the Zip Code era.

So Tony's dad must be really old.