PDA

View Full Version : First AR build. Need an expereinced opinion on a big purchase...

mrwilson1984
04-24-2012, 8:51 PM
Hi,

I'm about to purchase the Ultimate Build Kit from PSA for $370. Here is the link.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/build-kits/ultimate-lower-build-kit.html

This is my first AR build so I'm curious if this was a good purchase? Also, any other things I'm missing in order to complete a lower build (excluding the stripped receiver which I need to get)?

Things like lube, should I buy the bullet button now with this purchase for $20, etc.? Any pitfalls with buying this?

Of course I still need to buy the complete upper, but don't have enough cash at the moment.

Thanks guys!

Ksmash01
04-24-2012, 9:42 PM
Unless you have to have the giesselle trigger, you can get all of that with a basic trigger group and save money for ammo, or even a lower to put it all together with.

Upgrade the trigger later. Your savings would pay for your lower now.

pipboy
04-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Hmmm interesting...I purchased an ultimate lower kit from PSA a few years ago and it came with a Daniel Defense LPK and a Magpul ACS. A couple of things have been changed.

The CTR, MIAD, and Giessele SSA are excellent parts, well worth their respective price tags. The quality of the PSA house brand LPK is unknown to me.

If you arent going featureless, you might as well get the bullet button because you are going to need one.

The Geissele SSA is a fantastic trigger, I have 2 of them. However, as previously mentioned you are better off putting the cost of that towards your upper/lower if your budget is a factor.

You are better off with a functioning complete lower and a milspec FCG than an "ultimate lower" parts list with all the bells and whistles but no receiver to put together because you couldnt afford it after using up your budget. The cost of a Geissele trigger unit is more than the cost of a stripped lower.

If cost is an issue, get your basic rifle together first, shoot it, get to know it, figure out what you need vs what you want, and put the bells and wistles in later.

Parts can always be upgraded, in fact its a never ending process.

Rigma
04-25-2012, 12:13 AM
If price is an issue, my 1 cent is save up a bit more and get a rifle kit. A fancy lower build kit by itself won't do you much good at the range.

Recently got a 16'' Hammer Forged Mid-Length Rifle Kit to put on an Aero Precision lower I picked up a while back for $69.

First range session was 200 rounds of Federal that ran perfectly. Sight in required 1/4 MOA windage adjustment and elevation was already spot on.

I'm not going to impress anyone overly concerned with brand names, but considering my overall investment and being pleasantly surprised by the trigger, I am a happy customer. 12 business days was worth the wait.

I chose a quality working rifle over "fancy-pants" brand name parts, and have no regrets. Save the "fancy pants" brand names for your 2nd build.

...but that is jut my uneducated position, take from it what you will.

justin_5585
04-25-2012, 1:44 AM
What do you ultimately want your setup to be? Carbine, Rifle, SPR, etc. The reason I ask is that if you have a specific look or style in mind, you may end up replacing the stock, buffer tube, etc, thereby negating any savings. If you want a carbine, and can afford an upper, then I think this is a good start.

mrwilson1984
04-25-2012, 6:26 AM
Thanks for the tips.

My main goal is a CQC, shorter range AR15. I have the money right now for the stripped lower, just not sure where to get one. I'm in Bakersfield usually but go up to Sacramento every two weeks. If anyone knows their favorite place that probably has them in stock please let me know!

I will have the complete upper cash ready in a week so it sounds like I should be on the right path?

Arkangel
04-25-2012, 8:02 AM
If you arent going featureless, you might as well get the bullet button because you are going to need one.

The Geissele SSA is a fantastic trigger, I have 2 of them. However, as previously mentioned you are better off putting the cost of that towards your upper/lower if your budget is a factor.

You are better off with a functioning complete lower and a milspec FCG than an "ultimate lower" parts list with all the bells and whistles but no receiver to put together because you couldnt afford it after using up your budget. The cost of a Geissele trigger unit is more than the cost of a stripped lower.

If cost is an issue, get your basic rifle together first, shoot it, get to know it, figure out what you need vs what you want, and put the bells and wistles in later.

Parts can always be upgraded, in fact its a never ending process.

+1

The stock PSA lpk is surprisingly good. If cost is a factor, I wouldn't spend the money on a fancy trigger for a general purpose rifle. I got PSA's premium kit which came with a MIAD and the CTR and it has been flawless.

My .02

Good luck.