PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Difference?

Yugo
04-24-2012, 8:15 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/910805/dpms-buffer-ar-15-rifle
or
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/553144/dpms-buffer-ar-15-carbine

UserM4
04-24-2012, 8:18 PM
rifle and carbine?

anothergunnut
04-24-2012, 8:25 PM
Depends upon what kind of stock you have; you need a carbine buffer for a collapsible stock.

Baconator
04-24-2012, 8:28 PM
Depends upon what kind of stock you have; you need a carbine buffer for a collapsible stock.

this

and the carbine is out of stock!

Yugo
04-24-2012, 8:33 PM
perfect thanks. I need one of each. (I have 1 collapsible and 1 a2 stock)

Dreaded Claymore
04-24-2012, 8:37 PM
As you may know, when the bolt carrier of an AR-15 moves backwards during the rifle's cycle, it hits the buffer, which, along with the action spring , slows it down and then returns it forward.

An AR with a collapsible stock has a shorter buffer tube than one with a fixed stock, so there's less room for the buffer when it goes backward. But the bolt carrier needs to travel the same distance regardless. So the buffer in a collapsible stock carbine AR is shorter than one in a rifle with a fixed stock.

taloft
04-24-2012, 8:45 PM
You mean besides the length difference?

Typically, a rifle buffer will be heavier but, use a weaker spring. A carbine buffer will be lighter but, use a stiffer spring. Then there are the H variances...

Yugo
04-24-2012, 9:32 PM
You mean besides the length difference?

Typically, a rifle buffer will be heavier but, use a weaker spring. A carbine buffer will be lighter but, use a stiffer spring. Then there are the H variances...

so I will need 2 different springs? longer buffer (a2 stock) light spring and short carbine buffer (collapsible stock) heavier spring right? or will this http://www.midwayusa.com/product/191371/dpms-buffer-spring-ar-15-rifle work for both?

Chaos47
04-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Yes you will need 2 different springs the rifle one is longer if I remember correct.

Rifle
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/191371/dpms-buffer-spring-ar-15-rifle?cm_vc=S014910805

Carbine
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/210662/dpms-buffer-spring-ar-15-carbine

Dreaded Claymore
04-25-2012, 1:14 AM
You won't need two different springs unless you're assembling two different rifles. Does your rifle have a fixed stock, or a collapsible stock? Does it have any stock at all, yet?

Chaos47
04-25-2012, 1:59 AM
perfect thanks. I need one of each. (I have 1 collapsible and 1 a2 stock)

You won't need two different springs unless you're assembling two different rifles. Does your rifle have a fixed stock, or a collapsible stock? Does it have any stock at all, yet?

:cool2:

89LT1
04-25-2012, 7:02 AM
Thanks for this thread OP, Im a noob to the AR platform and have a similar question

so the buffer is only dependent on the type of stock? not the gas system? so if i get two uppers to run on the same lower: one being a shorter barrel carbine gas system for run and gun, and then a longer 24" upper for longer distance shooting with a rifle gas system i would not have to change the buffer?

Thanks for the info in advance

CIV Tactical
04-25-2012, 7:40 AM
Thanks for this thread OP, Im a noob to the AR platform and have a similar question

so the buffer is only dependent on the type of stock? not the gas system? so if i get two uppers to run on the same lower: one being a shorter barrel carbine gas system for run and gun, and then a longer 24" upper for longer distance shooting with a rifle gas system i would not have to change the buffer?

NO BUFFER CHANGE NEEDED. You can run both uppers on your lower. The rifle or A2 buffer tube will show a slight difference in felt recoil its not the buffer that is dependent but the buffer tube. One is longer to accept the A2 stocks and one is shorter for carbine M4 type collapsible stocks.

Yugo
04-25-2012, 9:12 AM
:cool2:

:D

Thanks guys. I also asked this in another thread its a little off topic, is a Maglock the same thing as a Bullet Button?

Yugo
04-25-2012, 9:15 AM

I was also planning to do this when I bought my first lower a year ago, I told my self I will buy two uppers and switch :rolleyes: if you can save up for a second lower just makes things easier IMO. Good luck with the build.

Dreaded Claymore
04-25-2012, 9:21 AM

Thanks guys. I also asked this in another thread its a little off topic, is a Maglock the same thing as a Bullet Button?

Yes.

shy 7th
04-25-2012, 11:36 AM

Bullet Button : magazine lock :: Kleenex : facial tissue