PDA

View Full Version : Should I be hesitant to send my SSE pistol in for service?

2nd Shot
04-24-2012, 8:59 PM
So awhile back, I bought a SSE Desert Eagle. It's a 100 yard tack driving, 6 foot fireball making hand cannon. The problem is that it has a consistent last round jam problem that has NOT been solved by repeatedly changing magazine springs, or buying a whole new MRI magazine, as well as other tricks like installing the longer spring from a Promag to try to maintain control over feeding that last round. I'm a machinist and a diehard tinkerer, but realized I had better send this one in and let the people who build it deal with it.

The real question here, is what happens if I send my SSE pistol out to MRI, and they take a look at my address and refuse to return my now semiautomatic pistol? I know you can buy a DE44CA and put the .50AE barrel on it, but this gun was and still is a DE50BC.

Do I have any legal recourse that doesn't involve paying a lawyer more than the gun is worth? Should I just not worry about it?

billped
04-24-2012, 10:02 PM
The issue is a dealer's inability to sell a non-roster gun - the SSE takes care of that. After you own it, unless the gun is called out specifically as evil, I think you're fine.

Ron-Solo
04-24-2012, 10:45 PM
Some manufacturers, even though legal, will not send an off roster gun back to a California resident. You need to confirm with the manufacturer before sending it back.

tal3nt
04-24-2012, 11:12 PM
+1^^^^ The only way to be absolutely sure

jessegpresley
04-24-2012, 11:57 PM
Just to make sure, you mentioned Promag, they make the crappiest mags in the world. Eliminate any Promag parts in the equation first. Good luck.

Aznatama
04-25-2012, 2:53 AM
it's not illegal to own a off-roster pistol.

MFG unwilling to send a pistol to CA just because... for example... an AZ resident moved to CA? how sad...

code33
04-25-2012, 9:11 AM
Yep, check with manufacturer first. Just because you can, doesn't mean they will. Do what you need to do to not get stuck into a bind. Just because someone on CG said you can, doesn't mean they will.

Some manufacturers, even though legal, will not send an off roster gun back to a California resident. You need to confirm with the manufacturer before sending it back.

cwin
04-25-2012, 9:33 AM
+1 for calling the manufacturer to find out for sure.

2nd Shot
04-25-2012, 6:15 PM
Yeah I had better give them and call and find out for damned sure before I send my gun on a 1 way trip... I faintly recall reading a post about a guy who sent a gun back for repairs that couldn't convince the company to give it back for this exact reason!

As for this pistol, I started having last round jams (and random ones halfway through the mag less frequently) after 60 rounds of Speer (the very be$t that can be bought in .50AE). I chalked it up to leaving the mag loaded, though every other pistol I've owned never noticed the difference. So bought one brand new MRI mag and one ProMag just for testing, and sure enough the MRI mag, fresh out of the package and loaded right before firing began to do the same as well. The ProMag jammed more frequently.

I noticed quickly that the MRI mag spring is very, very stiff to begin with, but took a permanent set after ONE loading, and quickly lost tension until the follower would stick on the last round, leaving it floating, instead of held firmly against the mag lips. There's a pin that pops out once it hits a slot, which then hits the slide catch when the mag is empty. The pin seems to be under a lot of tension and causes the follower to drag and stick as well. I replaced the spring in the new MRI magazine with yet another new MRI spring, and the problem quickly reappeared again. Funny thing, when I got frustrated and dumped a whole mag with the gun turned sideways/hollywood/gangster style, it fired all 7 and locked back like nothing was ever wrong. WTF?

tacticalcity
04-25-2012, 6:23 PM

+1 This.

44fred
04-25-2012, 9:42 PM
Come on, does anybody have any "first hand" information on this?

That would render most lifetime warranties useless. This one way ticket to loose your gun sounds hard to believe.

I'll call S&W in the morning.

dachan
04-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Come on, does anybody have any "first hand" information on this?

That would render most lifetime warranties useless. This one way ticket to loose your gun sounds hard to believe.

I'll call S&W in the morning.

Absolutely, though it is getting better, many manufacturers will not return a firearm sent in for warranty service due to ignorance of the law. I've also had replacements (S/N change) that had to come back to a FFL and then could not be DROS'ed due to the Roster.

OP, strongly advise you contact MRI before sending anything and find out their policies and details on how they will ship back to you.

readysetgo
04-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Can't hurt to ask the mfg. I'd email em though, for the record.

FWIW, I recently sent S&W my PPK for recall work and it went super smooth. Different mfg, but that's my first hand experience.

44fred
04-26-2012, 7:38 AM
Just got off the phone with S&W customer service.

If warranty work is performed by S&W back east on a gun that is off roster in Cal. it is not an issue, they will ship back to you. If replacement is going to happen, you're out of luck, they will issue credit.

Now I know S&W is not all companies, but as many have stated, call first. Personally, I'd get it in writing if possible.

THIS IS SO WRONG ON SO MANY LEVELS!

Nor*Cal
04-26-2012, 8:03 AM
Just got off the phone with S&W customer service.

If warranty work is performed by S&W back east on a gun that is off roster in Cal. it is not an issue, they will ship back to you. If replacement is going to happen, you're out of luck, they will issue credit.

Now I know S&W is not all companies, but as many have stated, call first. Personally, I'd get it in writing if possible.

THIS IS SO WRONG ON SO MANY LEVELS!

I was told the same thing by Springfield Armory about my XDm back in November when I researched this topic. Repair is okay but replacement (new serial number) would be an issue because they would not ship an off roster handgun to CA.