PDA

View Full Version : What is the big deal the take down 10/22?

damon1272
04-24-2012, 7:55 PM
Reason I bring this up is really what is the big deal when If you look at the 15/22. Pop two pins and it is broken down to half the size.

Now I own a 10/22 and they are a great rifle but if you look at the comparison between the two rifles I think the 15/22 is a great set up, could be considered a take down as it is so easy, and is very light to carry and pack.

That is just my opinion but I would like feed back from people that have experience with both rifles.
Thanks.

TheBest
04-24-2012, 8:44 PM
Marlin Papoose has been out for ages. Ruger copied it.

Chaos47
04-24-2012, 8:47 PM
IMO nothing.
Just Ruger fan boys thinking this is a new idea although there has been the Marlin Papoose and AR-7 for decades..

drifter2be
04-24-2012, 8:50 PM
IMO nothing.
Just Ruger fan boys thinking this is a new idea although there has been the Marlin Papoose and AR-7 for decades..

Thank you. Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks like this. I recall saying this in the thread when all the Ruger fanbois were raving about it when it was announced.

IrishPirate
04-24-2012, 8:57 PM
because some people prefer one manufacturer over another, or want to use existing parts/mags/etc with a new model gun. way easier to find aftermarket ruger parts than marlin or Henry swag (and the AR-7, aka Henry US survival rifle is way cooler than all of them IMHO!!!).

What's not to love about it? 10/22 accuracy and reliability in a take-down package sounds great to me!! Sure the concept is nothing new, but who cares! If i end up buying a 10/22, it'll be the takedown model for sure. Great trunk/backpacking gun (but still not as great as the AR-7) :D

Excaliburr
04-24-2012, 9:35 PM
The big deal is all the accessories, mods people have been doing for decades and the possibilities on the future. Can you find a Marlin Papoose for sale anywhere? I couldn't when I looked for about 6 months. Nobody stocks them, but my local dealer said if I special order and am willing to wait, he may be able to get one when they become available. So these Rugers came right in time and are filling the void that Marlin had opened, and at a great price of $289 from Turners. This is why they are selling like hotcakes. In my area, they are selling for $389 because we do not have Turners. I am sure the gun shops will have a hard time keeping them in stock for some time to come. It is not a copy of the Papoose either, though it is similar. The connection of the barrel is different and much more positive and the scope stays sighted in much better than those dovetail mounts. I am sure it is a kind of fad for Preppers, SHTF people and peoples' BOB. Personally I am not into all that, but think it is our human right to always be as prepared as possible for whatever may come our way.

ECVMatt
04-24-2012, 10:19 PM
AR-7's are fragile and finicky and the Marlin Papoose does not fit me well. I have tons of mags and parts for the 10/22, so it make that one a much more appealing rifle. I really like the Marlin 60's, but the Papoose did not cut it for me.

oddball
04-25-2012, 7:22 AM
The Ruger 10/22 is still the state-of-art .22 semi auto rifle out there. Reliability, function, and the vast possibilities of modifying/upgrading sets it apart from the rest. As far as the 10/22 TD, it retains the original ergonomics, while the Papoose (yes, I have fired one, where's the forearm?) leaves little to be desired. Most would take a standard 10/22 vs. a Papoose, so the TD is an improvement. Granted, the TD is limited in possibilities as far as mods, but put an aftermarket trigger system into it, an auto bolt release, a decent scope or red dot, and a supply of 25 rd magazines, you have a great rimfire rifle on its own.

Wizard99
04-25-2012, 8:59 PM
It's new, that's why everybody is excited about it. It would be more usefull if it came with multiple barrels. 22LR, 17 HM2, and if they used a longer reciever 17 HMR.

Butler Creek used to make what they called a packer stock for the 10/22. It had a locking cam in place of the V-block. The stock folded down just forward of the reciever and the barrel pulled loose.

http://www.southernhuntingsupplies.com/butler_creek_ruger_10_22_packer_stock_system.html

ElectricDevil
04-26-2012, 12:28 AM
The big selling point is that the 10/22 Takedown by itself is being able to stow into a backpack, or it's own bag - which is supposed to make it a subtle weapon, but the bag has that giant red Ruger hawk on it. No pins pulled, no tools required.

They're an even hotter item elsewhere in the country now that Ruger came out with factory high-capacity mags (the BX-25) for the 10/22. So now you have a practical, high-value rifle, with dependable extended magazines (except here in Cali, of course). Can't get that with either the Marlin or the Henry.

And I agree with the idea that guns are being bought up left and right now because of current politics and economics playing into the SHTFers, preppers, etc. That's part of the whole reason why Ruger had to stop taking orders for awhile, was all the guns being bought up.