PDA

View Full Version : Un-answered complaint/experience at Turners

Ninjapilot
04-24-2012, 7:32 PM
I emailed the person who claimed here on the Turners threads that was handling Turners customer issues more than a week ago and still no response. Here is the email I sent::confused:

I'm extremely disappointed in the service I have found at your Turner's locations since I became a patron of your stores. I'm new to guns and as such, 2 months ago, I purchased a shotgun from your West Covina location. The service was bad and unfriendly but not the reason for this email. The main reason for this email is due to my visit to your store in Signal Hill today.. I stopped by today, April 18th, to take a Handgun Safety Card exam and was hoping to buy a handgun after my test.

I walked into the store around 4:00 pm and ask a gentleman at the gun counter what I was there for. He coldly responded for me to go to the cashier and pay the fee and return with the receipt. I ignored his demeanor as I thought maybe it was his type of personality. No harm done so I go to the register. When it becomes my turn the cashier is called away and has another salesman take over for her. He was new at the store it seemed like and told me he didn't know how to ring up as he never got any training on the regisiters and needed to call another salesman to show him how. When another salesman arrives the "new trainee" started swearing at his coworker about how the hell he gets put on the register with "NO PREVIOUS TRAINING" and keeps cursing. He is so upset at that he even says "keep all the ammo away from me for about two hours." He continues his rant saying all this is stupid. I finally get charged and are given two receipts since I paid with a debit card.

I go to the gun counter again to provide them with my receipt and I see a skinny young guy with glasses standing there while everyone else was busy. I proceeded to tell him I had my receipt for the HSC card test and in a rude demeanor he says "give it to me." I hand him both of my receipts and he says "well I only need one." At this point his tone gets arrogant and belittling me as a customer as If I was supposed to know which one you guys require. After I ask which one he just took one from my hand as If explaining which one was a waist of his time. He asks me to wait and returns with the test form and doesn't even explain the process which involved me leaving him my ID. Upon his return he just pointed at the end of the counter and said go to the end and take the test. As I walk to the end of the counter while that worker goes back to reading a magazine and another worker with a black Turner's polo asks me what I was doing and when told him I was there to take the test, he took the packet away from me and said you are supposed to take it over there and points to a little booth with a chair for test taking. I had never been told of that booth other than to take the test at the end of the counter. After he tells me where to take it he realized the forms for the test were blank and starts complaining that the other worker should of filled out the information part of them.

I sat to take the test and return to get it graded and another worker now called ANOTHER worker and says "can you grade this guy's test." Talk about disrespectful people now I'm being called "this guy." I get the test graded and get a perfect score and the HSC filled out. I ask to see a Smith and Wesson Sigma 40 if there was one in stock since I has considering buying one. He came back from the back with a gun that was purchased by another customer waiting for pick up and shows it to me. As I return the gun to him after I checked it, the initial rude younger skinny tall guy with the glasses returns and whispers "I hope he doesn't get it." What on earth did he mean by THAT?????? I thanked them and left as I refused to do any further business at that store.

When I get home I check my HSC card and find my first name MISSPELLED!!!!!!!!! Ughhh.......Rob, I may be new to guns but from the few visits to your West Covina and now your Signal Hill locations I can only say that the service is beyond bad but its plain rude. You do not treat your customers as stupid idiots. You do not whisper negative comments. You dont curse in front of a customer.

Im upset about today's visit and mostly offended and now I'm stuck with even an HSC card that is misspelled. Again this is just the last incident but I have not even mentioned my previous visits which were met with bad customer service as well.

Socalmedix
04-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Par for the course, if they can't blame it on their "new computer system" you won't hear from them.

civilsnake
04-26-2012, 11:52 AM
If you're having problems with the West Covina location, I have to believe that you're either a disagreeable person or have crazy high expectations. I go in there all the time and the crew is always friendly and helpful both behind the counter and register. And not just to me. Everyone seems to be treated well.

If you're expecting everyone to smile, call you "sir", and offer you a cup of coffee, I suggest you try Nordstrom

pmcgugin
04-26-2012, 1:30 PM
If you're expecting everyone to smile, call you "sir", and offer you a cup of coffee, I suggest you try Nordstrom[/QUOTE]

Um, yeah....If I was about to drop $500-1000 on a gun...you're G**d*** right I expect a smile, be called "sir", and if I require it...a foot rub....

Turners is a great store, but they have a bad habit of hiring "kids" that have no customer service skills. If I go to Turners, I ALWAYS wait for somebody that looks like they have some time-in-service....

AVID HUNTER
04-26-2012, 1:40 PM
I feel so luckly to live nest to the Kerney Mesa store. Everyone is always friendly and eager to help.

AragornElessar86
04-26-2012, 1:47 PM
Par for the course, if they can't blame it on their "new computer system" you won't hear from them.

QFT. Every time I go in there there's some stupid little problem that ends up taking forever to fix, and it's always the computer system's fault.

Here's a fun one: went in to pick up my new SP101 .22LR yesterday. I had to remind the sales guy to do the handling demo, which he never ended up doing. I had to remind him that I needed a lock for the gun because the ones that were holding my locked case shut were older than the law requires (gun came with a lock so it was a moot point, but still). He swept me with my own gun while he was checking the serial number. I was just glad to get the he11 out of there.

thai562
04-26-2012, 2:11 PM
I am hearing too many bad stories about Turner, and it seem like they are not even trying to fix their problems.
Although, I bought my first pistol from them, and it was a good experiences, but that was 3 years ago.

Just stay away if you can help it.

monkeylice
04-26-2012, 2:49 PM
Just stay away if you can't tolerate anything less then the service you would expect from a personal butler. Shorter lines for the rest of us with thicker skin!

Tanner68
04-26-2012, 2:59 PM
We've all been spoiled by corporate America, and expect royal treatment from every single business. You will not get that at Turners. But you can still go there and buy a gun.

Chontkleer
04-26-2012, 3:22 PM
We've all been spoiled by corporate America, and expect royal treatment from every single business. You will not get that at Turners. But you can still go there and buy a gun.

No, no you can't, generally, at least at the one in Reseda.

Bought my first rifle there years ago, and it was great. The clerk who sold it to me wasn't exactly cheerful, but at least he wasn't disrespectful. Went in a couple of times over the last years to attempt to purchase guns and each time it was the same -- over an hour wait, three guys all just staring into computer screens, customers just zoning out or getting fed up and leaving. Other times I've gone in to try to get some ammo but bail after 15 minutes of staring at the frozen bodies. They have everyone dedicated to lookiloos there and apparently no one available to actually, you know, sell stuff. I've never seen such a lack of morale at any store I've ever been to. The management really really needs to go.

Mister.E
04-26-2012, 3:29 PM
I don't think OP was asking for much beyond simple courtesy. My overall experience with Turners has been positive, and I've seen improvement. But maybe they need to put up some "don't do what donny does" posters in their break room. lol

StratORcaster
04-26-2012, 3:39 PM
Just take their sale sheet to other stores for price matching. ;)

Riddler
04-26-2012, 6:56 PM
Go to the turners in Norwalk. Their entire staff is polite and helpful.

Ninjapilot
04-26-2012, 7:41 PM
First of all, NO, I did not expect royal carpet treatment nor I'm I disagreeable. I only expected to be treated with respect as any other paying customer. I don't expect to be called sir but I do expect for the guy behind the counter to NOT take things from my hand, roll their eyes and whisper smart mouth comments cowardly as he walks away. I dont care if they never really smiled as long as they never disrespected me as a customer. Seems to me like the "motto" here at stores now a days is to play tough and if one can't take it we are the ones labeled misfits of society id we as customers cannot take the abuse. It's all easy to say "he complaints about little things" but I'm sure if it happened to each one of us independently we would voice our disagreements loudly. I find smart comments from a salesman as "I hope he don't get it" (referring to their product) to go beyond disrespectful. I could be at a 99 cents store or a Ferrari dealer, it doesn't matter, customer service is customer service. Also I expect to not have to return to the store to correct their mistake like they did of misspelling my name on the HSC card.

UPDATE on story: I got a call from the store manager at Signal Hill and he was an extremely polite gentleman who dealt with my complaint fairly enough to where I perhaps may visit their store again after our conversation. Business is business and part of it is customer service and although my previous experience was sour, well now the manager has given me some hope to try them again. If it doesn't work then I'm off elsewhere. I do appreciate the fact they tried to remedy the situation. Im grateful for that.

LBDamned
04-26-2012, 8:21 PM
Go to the turners in Norwalk. Their entire staff is polite and helpful.

QFT!

Although it's kinda like telling others where the good cheap ammo is, or when/where the good place(s) to shoot is(are)... almost want to keep the good things a secret - but in the spirit of sharing with fellow enthusiasts, yes Norwalk is the place to go.

If Turners used Norwalk's approach as their standard protocol (with all stores), there would be far less complaint threads.

stitchnicklas
04-26-2012, 9:04 PM
:pinch::pinch::pinch: turners service

gr8dragon88
04-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Signal Hill and Reseda seemed to have the most issues.

Try Fountain Valley or Chino Hills store, where good service is the norm, not the exception....

Turner's Outdoorsman
04-27-2012, 6:46 AM
I emailed the person who claimed here on the Turners threads that was handling Turners customer issues more than a week ago and still no response. ...

PM sent.

Ninjapilot
04-27-2012, 8:46 PM
Replied, thank you!:)

Moonwatcher
05-29-2012, 8:44 AM
I hope one bad experience will not keep Ninjapilot from going back to Turners Signal Hill. It is one of the better stores in the chain. It is too bad he left without asking to speak with Don the manager. Don is a great manager and I'm sure he would have been a happy customer if he had. The rule here is if you have a problem talk with the store manager before leaving and if he can't help contact corporate. From the description of his visit I can only assume what he experienced was a Murphy's Law Day. If it can go wrong it will in the worse possible way and at the worse possible time. In this case the store, the employees, and the customer were caught in Murphy's evil clutch.

Moonwatcher
05-29-2012, 8:52 AM
As to no reply to his email the contact by Don the manager was his reply. They get the emails then have the manager contact the injured party. They feel this is more user friendly and a faster way to correct the problem. They do very much want the customer experiance to be the best in the firearms industry.

Lives_In_Fresno
05-29-2012, 8:57 AM
Im upset about today's visit and mostly offended and now I'm stuck with even an HSC card that is misspelled. Again this is just the last incident but I have not even mentioned my previous visits which were met with bad customer service as well.

I call your turner episode and raise you a Herb Bauer...

Herb bauer has a few very horrible salespeople. Not only do they act like they are doing me a favor to answer a question about their gun inventory, they often give incorrect advice, and will ask they you let them initial the price tags on the things in your arms (that they didn't help with...) so that they can get credit for higher sales.

What a laughable place, indeed.

winnre
05-29-2012, 12:54 PM
I was at San Benardino Turner's Friday. I go there oftenm and buy often. No gun buys in about 45 days now (a new record) because I am waiting on a special order. But maybe I'll get a rifle. I stood there for 15 minutes with folks just walking by as if I were invisible. The deal is that I am a sure thing, a customer won over, so they do not need to try. They know I'll buy. Well if they l8ike me that much just give me the keys to the gun cases. Until then... TREAT ME BETTER.

Pissedashell
05-31-2012, 7:39 AM
I was at San Benardino Turner's Friday. I go there oftenm and buy often. No gun buys in about 45 days now (a new record) because I am waiting on a special order. But maybe I'll get a rifle. I stood there for 15 minutes with folks just walking by as if I were invisible. The deal is that I am a sure thing, a customer won over, so they do not need to try. They know I'll buy. Well if they l8ike me that much just give me the keys to the gun cases. Until then... TREAT ME BETTER.

Does the San Bernardino store have the new take a ticket number system? Around how crowded was it? I ask because my main go to store Pasadena has the ticket system and I really prefer it. (The wait time can still go through the roof during peak rush hours, nothing can really help that aside from doubling the staff maybe (and doubling the store count!) but at least I know that some bloke who just arrived won't try to barge ahead of me when I was there for like an hour already, which happened to me a couple of times before they implemented it, now with this ticket system) ... But I realize that realistically, they probably can't hire too many more employees, as they already seem to have a huge staff as it is, and then more significantly we are in the midst of a 'special year' with a lot of buzz surrounding it, so sales will only keep climbing, it is safe to predict.

Maybe the best bet for Turners is to go to a two or three line system, like some mentioned before, with pick ups, ammo, and general questions fielded separately? Sounds good on paper, but then I never ran a store in my life let alone a dozen, so what do I know!

thenut2000
06-27-2012, 8:47 PM
Go see Josh in San Marcos. He is a good guy.

winnre
06-28-2012, 2:23 PM
The San Bernardino store has a ticket system. Yesterday the store was EMPTY, other times the crowd is 3-4 deep and I get #82 and they are on #41. Because of that I always look for numbers on the floor of those who got frustrated and left.

LBDamned
06-28-2012, 3:20 PM
^^^ :icon_bs:

gigglemonkee
06-28-2012, 3:34 PM
Go see Josh in San Marcos. He is a good guy.

there are a few good people at san marcos but then the bad ones like the guy who face muzzled me with a pistol 3 times and was really bothered i wanted to buy another gun while picking one up so i left.

GearsCOG5
06-29-2012, 1:26 PM
I have found the orange store to be pretty friendly, but they also have that lean & read a magazine routine down to a science!!

paul0660
06-29-2012, 1:29 PM
An undercover vid of this action would get a lot of hits.

bill_k_lopez
06-29-2012, 1:57 PM

So you've been there before, and haven't been "satisfied" with the service, yet you keep going back?

Ammo Brothers was too far for you? How about Insight? How about Turner's in Norwalk? You have plenty of other choices...

I'm sure they'll change the name on your card, of course - you didn't bother to check it before you left when they handed it to you - is that really their fault?

I'm sorry, but being referred to as "this guy" is not offensive - not in any way.

Personally I've never had any issues with any of the guys at Signal Hill - and I hold the record of PPT wait time (over 3 hours) in that store - wasn't the guys fault, just their old system.

paul0660
06-29-2012, 2:12 PM
I'm sorry, but being referred to as "this guy" is not offensive - not in any way.

There is a chance that Ninjapilot is a female, which would be awkward. I can think of half a dozen other ways to put it that would show a little respect and deference for the LIFEBLOOD of a business, the customer.

and I hold the record of PPT wait time (over 3 hours) in that store - wasn't the guys fault, just their old system.

And you have been back, after that?

darksands
07-02-2012, 2:54 PM
I go to the West Covina Turners enough to know who to talk to and who not to talk to. Cary and Jeff are probably the only two people I would like help me. They have a new guy named Chuck that I wouldn't be surprised if someone complained about.

compshell
07-05-2012, 10:01 PM
The Reseda store is terrible. Several times I have given Turners a chance with my business to only get long waits, and arrogant sales staff. I really dislike spending my money with a business that feels they are too good for it.

This is not how customers should be treated.

Folks don't spend your money there. Avoid tax buy out of state and just have a small ffl dealer transfer the firearm over to you. I have saved thousands doing this and not dealing with long lines and a rude sales staff.

I get turners is one of only a few places around ever since all the shops closed thier doors years ago. I really miss b and b......

SemperFlexibus
07-06-2012, 7:03 AM
Actually you can't get away with not paying sales tax for out of state purchase anymore...

I try to avoid most of Turner's stores in LA county.