PDA

View Full Version : Help with choosing my first AK

bomb_on_bus
04-24-2012, 6:51 PM
I have a friend who is looking into getting his first AK. He doesn't know that much about them and frankly neither do I lol. So I am turning to you Calguns and all your infinite knowledge about everything AK.

What he is looking for basically is the best bang for his buck. He doesn't care about uber cool crap nor does he care about who made it.

All he wants is dependability and accuracy on par with higher end AKs.

So if you could list brands/types/prices/pros vs. cons/availability that would sweet :D

I did tell him to check out PRK up in Fresno but thats about it.

So any help would greatly be appreciated and you would be helping out a fellow gunner! :D

chrisf
04-24-2012, 6:54 PM
I'd go with a saiga and convert it for that authentic ak look and feel. There at pretty good prices, and are usually reliable as others from what I've heard. You can also get them in .223 5.45, etc. wasr is another option as well. Either way Goodluck.

MrPlink
04-24-2012, 7:04 PM
not a IO, anything after that is fine

Mamluke
04-24-2012, 7:19 PM
He doesn't care about uber cool crap nor does he care about who made it...

not a IO, anything after that is fine

^^^ this for sure ...

A Romanian wasr 10/63 double stack, kinda common.
An AK that is built by one the Calgun gurus ... :D

You'll find plenty of choices here:

http://www.rrcfirearms.com/cat-semi-auto-rifle.cfm

Good luck

SOMIS 13
04-24-2012, 7:33 PM
I just picked up this saiga from rifle gear.
your friend should get the same one, i put 500 rounds through it on the first time out... flawless. I love it

SKU:SAI-IZ332
Price: $499.00

Flying Sig
04-24-2012, 8:02 PM
.... flawless. I love it.

Don't lie. You don't love anything.

Faded
04-24-2012, 8:08 PM
I picked up a nice Russian Red from EBR works and I love it. It's pricey at around $1k, but I have no regrets.

fighterpilot562
04-24-2012, 9:26 PM

haha +1

SOMIS 13
04-25-2012, 7:53 AM

alrite , I really liked the way it felt to have my hands and face on it, and it was easy on the wallet.

pyro3k2
04-25-2012, 8:48 AM
For the first one I would not suggest a saiga unless they completely understand that they are buying a project gun. For the first time AK owner I would suggest something they don't have to convert to make it look like an AK. Unless someone is already in the AK camp they don't picture a saiga in their head when you mention an AK-47. I would suggest a WASR, arsenal (can't believe I said that), or check out atlantic firearms online just to see if anything there catches his/her eye.

addyyoon
04-25-2012, 10:27 AM
I have a Century Arms AK74 variant and I could not be happier. The fit and finish is nowhere near Arsenal quality, but hey, it's an AK. I'm not looking for something that I'm afraid to drop on the ground and scratch up. Just make sure to check for canted front sights. They've gotten a lot better about it, I've heard. Good luck finding one and have fun!

ZX-10R
04-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Check the rifle...That is your first check. Check for cants, looseness, etc. I have quite a few Century guns...I am not disappointed in any of them...However, I knew what to look for.

bomb_on_bus
04-25-2012, 7:45 PM
Sweet thanks for the replies looks like there is some homework to do LOL.......... As usual Calguns delivers again! :D

SJgunguy24
04-25-2012, 8:03 PM
I picked up a nice Russian Red from EBR works and I love it. It's pricey at around $1k, but I have no regrets.

I wouldn't tell anybody to drop 1K on one of those "Russian Reds". One came through as a transfer and from my observation it's a bad conversion with no welding and Tapco furniture. If i'm dropping Arsenal kinda money then I expect Arsenal quality at the minimum. That means real military parts on the front end and all of the holes need to be welded up.
My advice is look for a WASR or look for a used ak that was built by someone who know's what they're doing.