PDA

View Full Version : Good Scope for AR-15???

khorat77
04-24-2012, 5:46 PM
I have had my ar for about a year now and was wondering what a good scope would be for me to put on it. Im not looking to to shoot 1000 yards or anything crazy like that and i dont want to spend a weeks pay on it either. Just looking for something cheap and that wont fall apart the first hundred rounds. Any help would be awesome.

drifter2be
04-24-2012, 5:58 PM
http://hammersbinoculars.stores.yahoo.net/cori3wiilmir.html

This is the scope that I am using on my budget AR right now. I don't shoot with a scope too often, as I prefer shooting with my iron sights, but I have about 200 through the rifle with this scope mounted using an NCstar quick detach mount, and it hasn't lost zero yet. Between the cost of the scope, the mount and shipping I paid about $100 for the setup.

I know this is a cheaper setup, but I didn't want to blow a few hundred dollars for something I don't use too often. The BDC on it was a nice extra given the cost although I haven't used that yet.

gmcal
04-24-2012, 6:05 PM
How much do you make in week?

Without a budget and what you want to do with it's hard to make a good recommendation. However, take a look at Primary Arms. They probably have something you'll like.

The War Wagon
04-24-2012, 6:12 PM
Leupold Mark AR is as cheap as I'LL go on a scope for 200-500 yd. shots.

sl4ck3r
04-24-2012, 6:43 PM
i use the Burris MTAC. The Burris TAC30 i hear is good as well. Decent price imo, but may be high?

MrPlink
04-24-2012, 7:03 PM
Im going to assume you make millions in a week, ergo I suggest US Optics.

SactoPlinker
04-24-2012, 7:19 PM
Cheap is kind of a relative term butttt...how bout something from Nikon or Vortex? I have a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 on my bolt action rifle and my friend recently purchased a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 and he is absolutely in love with it. Both scopes can be had for under $200/ea.

Hopy
04-24-2012, 7:24 PM
I bought a Meuller Speed shot 4x24 that they had on special for about 140.00 then added a Burris mount for another 80 or so. Works beautifully for what I want it for and has not lost zero. If you check Meuller site, they have what are called factory discount demos. That is how I bought mine and now the same one is going for $249.00

digdug74
04-24-2012, 7:34 PM
Scope and mount for 250 -- not bad:

http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-Burris-PEPR-Combo-P42148.aspx

You might also want to check out Redfield scopes as well (you can find them on the same site). I think they're Leupold's "budget" line of optics and I hear good things about them.

mveto
04-24-2012, 8:13 PM
I have a Redfield Revolution 3-9X40 with the Accu Range reticle on my AR and it is a very good scope. American made, lifetime warranty.

TreeHugger
04-24-2012, 8:22 PM
Im going to assume you make millions in a week, ergo I suggest US Optics.

Don't listen to that nonsense, the glass look like it has butter smeared all over it, I'd take Tasco over US Optics any day.

ExtremeX
04-24-2012, 9:06 PM
Before throwing out about a million recommendations on a scope playing guessing games... we need more info

1st off it depends what type of scope you want. Hunting style or something with tactical turrets. The latter is usually a lot more expensive. Either dial in correction or get used to holding over. If you are in the market for a tactical scope, matching reticle / turrets IMO is a must have.

2nd you really need to indicate some type of budget considering you can spend $49 to $3000 on a rifle scope. Every ones idea of value and cheap greatly differs on this forum.

3rd is optical clarity a big deal to you on a budget? Would you consider a fixed magnification scope. A fixed 10x will beat most variable scopes in its price class.

4th what type of magnification range are you looking for if you want a zoom optic? 1-4x, 3-9, 4-16?

ExtremeX
04-24-2012, 9:14 PM
I have a Redfield Revolution 3-9X40 with the Accu Range reticle on my AR and it is a very good scope. American made, lifetime warranty.
Cheap is kind of a relative term butttt...how bout something from Nikon or Vortex? I have a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 on my bolt action rifle and my friend recently purchased a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 and he is absolutely in love with it. Both scopes can be had for under $200/ea.

I used to own a Redfield and a Nikon Prostaff in 3-9x40. They were ok, but in that price bracket, its hard to beat the Vortex Diamondback series with a BDC reticle, which I also have, and still currently own. I also think its the best 3-9x40 hunting type scopes under $200.

I actually can't stand Nikons scopes, for a company that makes high end camera optics, I don't understand why their scopes suck as bad as they do.

http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29:qinexpensive-scopeq-comparison&catid=4:rifle-scope-reviews&Itemid=4

scotty99
04-24-2012, 11:07 PM
I just put an MTAC on one of my ARs and love it. Great optic for the money. Also looked hard at the Millett, but decided the better illumination was worth the extra cash. I really think these 1-4 variables are just about the ideal AR optic.

strongpoint
04-25-2012, 12:03 AM
Don't listen to that nonsense, the glass look like it has butter smeared all over it, I'd take Tasco over US Optics any day.

don't do that! the noob is gonna take you seriously!

ExtremeX
04-25-2012, 12:24 AM
I just put an MTAC on one of my ARs and love it. Great optic for the money. Also looked hard at the Millett, but decided the better illumination was worth the extra cash. I really think these 1-4 variables are just about the ideal AR optic.

I agree, the 1-4x scopes are probably one of the most versatile options for the AR platform, and they don't get as much love or appreciation as they should.

I like the Burris optic, the I would pass on the MTAC for a couple key reasons. The MTAC isn't a true 1x scope, and there is a slight fish eye effect. On top of that I'm not that hot for its reticle. I'm a traditionalist, BDC reticle on the MTAC doesn't allow for easy ranging of a target when compared to a traditional rifle scope. Its just not a precesion optic when compared to something like a Viper PST.

The Vortex Viper PST 1-4x scope its one hell of a scope for the price. True 1x, amazing optics, and a reticle that has MOA markers with a matching MOA/MOA turret/reticle. Yes it cost more, but so does the Burris XTR which I would also consider, but I would still take the Vortex.

Your decision should be based on the type of shooter you are, and the type of shooting you do. If you know your ballistics, drop, and understand how to range a target using a reticle and measure correction, you would also sway towards the Vortex.

scotty99
04-25-2012, 5:21 AM
The weird reticle in the MTAC almost kept me from buying it, but honestly, after shooting it a bit, it has grown on me. The distortion at 1x is very minimal, and the illuminated reticle makes both eyes open close range shooting so nice. For a precision gun, it would not be my first choice, but for a go fast gun that occasionally needs to make longer precise shots, I think it's a good compromise.

ExtremeX
04-25-2012, 10:52 AM
The weird reticle in the MTAC almost kept me from buying it, but honestly, after shooting it a bit, it has grown on me. The distortion at 1x is very minimal, and the illuminated reticle makes both eyes open close range shooting so nice. For a precision gun, it would not be my first choice, but for a go fast gun that occasionally needs to make longer precise shots, I think it's a good compromise.

Which is why I said I still like the Burris...

I love a good value scope as much as the next guy, but my biggest thing is its not a True 1x scope. From an engineering standpoint its actually harder for a scope manufacture to make a 1-4x scope than a 3-9x for example. Most cheaper 1x scopes are actually closer to the 1.2x, 1.3x, 1.5x range. It just comes down to budget, the Vortex and the XTR both cost more. Its up to the buyer to decide if its "worth" it, and what compromises they are wiling to make based on their needs.