PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys prefer?

capntim
04-24-2012, 4:05 PM
Looking to help make it easier when sighting in scope. Was wondering
what you guys prefer. I know the main thing guys use are either the
bench rests/stands, rest bags or their range bags. Dont want to break
the bank cause it wont get used alot and I'd rather put the extra $$
towards more ammo or another firearm:D. Thanks for any input.

ZX-10R
04-24-2012, 6:14 PM
I used to have a gunvice...Used it and it was cumbersome. Best thing is take a rifle in 25yrds. Shoot. If it hits paper you are on your way to sighting it in. Read instructions of scope after that.

MrPlink
04-24-2012, 6:26 PM
bags are my favorite.
Cheap and common at most ranges.

I can do it with just blocks, or even a table if that is all there is, bags just make it feel easier to me.

ubet
04-24-2012, 7:13 PM
Would help to know what type of gun it is.

I usually just site them in, prone with bipod. Paper at 25yds, one shot, adjust to center, paper 100yds, 1 shot adjust (most people shoot groups then adjust, but I am very comfortable with my rifle). I end by letting it cool off a little then shooting a 3 shot group.

capntim
04-24-2012, 8:17 PM
Rifle is M1A. Was leaning towards bags, as Mrplink said, easy to transport.
One of my friends uses a vise but I thought it might be a pain to haul around.
Big 5 has a set of bags on sale now that I might get. Thanks for the input.

wjc
04-24-2012, 10:13 PM
I have a sled for my hunting rifle. It's more stable and allows more precise sighting. For my other stuff I just use the sandbags provided at the range.

ExtremeX
04-24-2012, 10:28 PM
Ive been using bags, but I hate taking them with me due to the added bulk I have to carry around.

Ive seen some people who have made some real nice adjustable rigs to shoot from. That's always an option.

I just got a nice bipod and monopod, so ill try that out and see if its sufficient for zeroing a rifle.

It also depends on the rifle setup... I have a PRS stock on an AR, and the rear bag is almost useless since the PRS stock is flat on the bottom so I cant really adjust elevation. On a typical bolt gun its not a big deal, the rear bag actually works very well.

jbush
04-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Cut the pant leg off some old jeans, sew the end, fill with cat litter (a lot lighter then sand and works just as good), sew end closed. Cheap, light sandbag. I have a couple sizes and cut the one end flat and the other with a slight V. Probably not the most high tech, but it works good on the bench and is ez to haul around. Spend the savings on ammo.

RT13
04-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Sandbags. I like those big Caldwell sand bags.