PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a Savage Arms Mark II

Rob42o
04-24-2012, 4:40 PM
I just yesterday bought the girlfriend a Ruger 10/22. And started thinking that I might want a .22 Rifle to go shooting with her. The Savage Arms Mark II caught my eye. Does anyone here own, or have any information about this little bolt action .22? Pro's and Con's, I would love to hear them all. Where to find one at a good price in So Cal. Thinking of using it for target plinking, maybe varmint (or that little raccoon that tries to get my koi, only if those Aguila Super Quiet Colibri's will work) Also will be buying 2 Savage Axis XP's in a month or 2 (but that's for the Center fire Area). As always, Thank you in advance for all information an help.

Ogre8472
04-24-2012, 4:45 PM
The Mark II is a wonderful rifle. Several threads in different forums love them. Its my next bolt action .22lr. I have its bigger brother the 93 and its such a wonderful rifle to shoot and own. Check out rimfirecentral.com under Savage. Lots of great stuff there too.

Gatotsu77
04-24-2012, 6:06 PM
I've owned one for just over a year, and I love mine. I selected the Mark II BTVS, as it fit me very comfortably, and it is very pleasing aesthetically.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c70/animefan73/IMG_3164.jpg

Fed the right ammo, (usually Wolf Match/Target or SK Jagd) these rifles can be very accurate. I won't claim that you'll out shoot a much more expensive weapon, but for the price point, these do very well.

I will say, no one on here will advocate the use of a firearm within city limits in California, and I'd strongly suggest that you consider an alternative. I believe that being caught doing so would land you a felony. (might be a misdemeanor, I honestly do not know, and I never want to find out the hard way)

Kelster1574
04-24-2012, 10:11 PM
I currently own two, an FV-SR and a TR. Both are solid rifles and I honestly believe you will not be disappointed.

ejhc11
04-25-2012, 12:12 AM
Get one, I've got one in jail till Friday. Already ordered some swivels and extra mags for it. The Savage will be setup for Appleseed, attended my first three weekends ago and recommend it to anyone with rimfire rifles.

Picked up the rimfire bug, got all these in the last 3 years.
Savage MKII F
Winchester Wildcat 22LR rifle
Ruger 10/22 stainless
Henry H001
CMMG 22LR 20" dedicated upper
CMMG 22LR 16" dedicated upper
Marlin 915Y (my son's)

Rob42o
04-25-2012, 4:10 AM
I've owned one for just over a year, and I love mine. I selected the Mark II BTVS, as it fit me very comfortably, and it is very pleasing aesthetically.

Fed the right ammo, (usually Wolf Match/Target or SK Jagd) these rifles can be very accurate. I won't claim that you'll out shoot a much more expensive weapon, but for the price point, these do very well.

I will say, no one on here will advocate the use of a firearm within city limits in California, and I'd strongly suggest that you consider an alternative. I believe that being caught doing so would land you a felony. (might be a misdemeanor, I honestly do not know, and I never want to find out the hard way)

Ill have to keep at him with my pellet rifle then.. Just to be safe, I don't live in the city either. I'm past where the street lights, an sewer system end. Guess I could buy a Guinea hen, I hear they will attack anything that comes on the property where they live. Thank you for the info. And very beautiful rifle you have there.

shamaz
04-25-2012, 9:50 AM
I just yesterday bought the girlfriend a Ruger 10/22. And started thinking that I might want a .22 Rifle to go shooting with her. The Savage Arms Mark II caught my eye. Does anyone here own, or have any information about this little bolt action .22? Pro's and Con's, I would love to hear them all. Where to find one at a good price in So Cal. Thinking of using it for target plinking, maybe varmint (or that little raccoon that tries to get my koi, only if those Aguila Super Quiet Colibri's will work) Also will be buying 2 Savage Axis XP's in a month or 2 (but that's for the Center fire Area). As always, Thank you in advance for all information an help.
Hi, there! I have a Mark II-GL and absolutely love it. I shoot a lot in my rural front yard and Aguila Super Colibri work really well. They are virtually silent upon discharge and fairly accurate, quieter than a pellet rifle. The new CCI Quiet .22s, 40 grain and 710 fps, are more accurate, just slightly louder and pack more "punch" than the Super Colibris.

chingdaotze
04-25-2012, 10:40 AM
I *had* a MkII BTVS as of three weeks ago:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd235/chingdaotze/IMG_1488.jpg

Traded up for a CZ 455 FS instead. Why? Well, the rifle was too accurate. If you ever start shooting your MkII to the point where you're putting holes in holes, it gets boring fast. Pretty soon you stop taking your rifle out, and IMHO that's when there's really no point in owning it anymore. I ended up getting the 455 just so I could use irons. If I had to do it all over again, I would get myself a MkII that came with iron sights, like the MkII FVT. At least then you have the option of mounting a scope AND using irons when the scope gets boring.

PROS:
*Accurate as heck (5/8" groups at 25 yds easy with CCI Blazer).
*Accutrigger is great. Still won't beat a modded CZ trigger but for the price, it's amazing.
*Free-floated out of the box.
*Nice crown.
*Nice finish.

CONS:
*Laminate stock + bull barrel = heavy. Not good for shooting while standing (may only apply to BTVS), and do not see myself trekking through the woods with it. This might be relevant for raccoon hunting.
*The way the accutrigger is designed, if you work the bolt too quickly and have the trigger set too lightly the safety sear on the "inside trigger" may trip, forcing you to recock the firing pin. This can be fixed my setting your trigger to a heavier setting.
*I've had feeding issues before; fixed by bending the magazine lips.
*Rifle had some rough machining on the bolt action receiver. Smoothed it out with an india stone and mother's mag.
*Not lefty-friendly (may only apply to BTVS).
*Trigger play compared to CZ.

Where to buy:
*Try calguns marketplace. I sold my Savage there for a decently cheap price, and have seen 2-3 being sold in the past month.
*If out of state FFL, try HMK Enterprises in San Gabriel. 35$+27$ DROS fee, makes him one of the cheapest FFL's in the L.A. area. Just got my CZ out of jail from him last week. Tell him Mike sent you ;D. Would not use him for PPT though.
*Big 5 does not carry bolt action .22's of any kind in SoCal.
*Turners is alright, but PPT or FFL transfer is usually cheaper.

Rob42o
04-26-2012, 4:38 AM
What are the major differences between the Mark II F and the FV?

rb765
04-26-2012, 7:55 AM
I first bought my son a Ruger 10/22. He liked it, but the trigger sucked and he wanted to slow down and use a bolt gun so after a bit of research, I ordered him a MKIIG. It is a wood stocked, regular barreled model. The Accutrigger that comes standard is one of the nicest factory triggers you will find. It is user adjustable to a super soft trigger, but it is great out of the box. Ours liked the faster rounds (Velocitor, Minimaxes) over bulk, but also loved the CCI Standards. We added a Simmons Mag22 3x9 scope and ended up cutting the rear stock about 1" because it was a tad long for him while shooting prone.

I would not hesitate buying a second one and I am sure you will be happy with them.

BTW, if you need a spare 5 round magazine for it, I bought one for my son for prone shooting, missplaced it, bought another, then found the first about 3 months later. It is still in the package with the $35 price tag (yeah I spent too much) still on it. It's yours for $20 or trade for ?

sofbak
04-26-2012, 10:25 AM
What are the major differences between the Mark II F and the FV?

MK II F: "F" = synthetic stock, [blank] = tapered "sport" barrel,
MK II FV: "F" = synthetic stock, "V" = heavy bull barrel

All other components are virtually identical between the two.

Most shooters disdain the "F" stock, and either avoid it when initially purchasing the rifle, or replace it with othe options from Boyds soon after.

JNunez23
04-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Same here, I just can't seem to find one in the Valley.

Rob42o
04-26-2012, 11:30 AM
I think Ill look into the FV. And replace the stock shortly after with this http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/TACT-SAV-93E-MKII-BBC-STK-BLK-p/600-430.htm TACTICOOL SAVAGEŽ 93E/MKII HEAVY BARREL CHANNEL - LAMINATE STOCK W/BLACK TEXTURED FINISH

I like the MKII - TR but Im only looking to spend about 200/300 at first, which is why I was looking at the F and FV.

rb765
04-26-2012, 11:49 AM
If you do not like the synthetic stock, you might look at the G model. I picked up mine with the sport barrel for $199.

Rob42o
04-26-2012, 11:57 AM
If you do not like the synthetic stock, you might look at the G model. I picked up mine with the sport barrel for $199.

I personally like them. I'm taking the advise that it might not be very good. If it is, Ill keep it around for awhile, before changing up to a the tacticool stock. But Ill keep that in mind also. The G is the wood stock isn't it?

GunHo
04-26-2012, 12:01 PM
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh581/testarija/P1000415.jpg

I have the Savage TRR-SR semi auto.

Pros: Solid, Accurate, nice tactical stock, fluted and threaded barrel, scope rail included on the action.

Cons: doesn't eat everything. It hates hollow points. Jams every time.

Rob42o
04-26-2012, 12:22 PM
I have the Savage TRR-SR semi auto.

Pros: Solid, Accurate, nice tactical stock, fluted and threaded barrel, scope rail included on the action.

Cons: doesn't eat everything. It hates hollow points. Jams every time.

Can we get the SR models in CA? I didnt think I would be able to, due to the threaded barrel. Very nice looking TRR-SR! I dont have the $500 for a TR, so I think I will just build my own

rb765
04-26-2012, 12:48 PM
I believe the threaded barrel is only an issue for assault weapons and handguns. My AR is threaded as most are, so it should not be a problem to get the rifle you want. Check the flowchart just to be sure. Also, there is no roster for rifles, so if it is not listed as an assault weapon or illegal by virtue of mag size, caliber, etc. you should be able to have your LGS order you one.

I thought I had a picture of my son with his MKIIG, but he was shooting his 10/22 that day instead. Great guns and I am glad I went with the wood as it was easier for me to cut down the stock. As he gets older and bigger, we will replace the original chopped stock with a Boyds.

NOTABIKER
04-26-2012, 12:49 PM
i just got into shooting, i was not brand loyal. i bought a savage Mark 2 FV. what a wonderful rifle right out of the box. i just love it. it does everything i want in a bolt action 22lr. my next purchase Savage will be at the top of the list. i just bought a savage 64 for my grand kids to shoot with me. my FV is all mine. they all are good guns but the savage is so darn accurate out of the box.

Rob42o
04-26-2012, 1:15 PM
i just got into shooting, i was not brand loyal. i bought a savage Mark 2 FV. what a wonderful rifle right out of the box. i just love it. it does everything i want in a bolt action 22lr. my next purchase Savage will be at the top of the list. i just bought a savage 64 for my grand kids to shoot with me. my FV is all mine. they all are good guns but the savage is so darn accurate out of the box.

I have heard a lot of great things about Savage, especially the right out of the box performance. After I pick my Mark II. We are getting 2 Axis XP's for hunting.

Rob42o
04-26-2012, 1:20 PM
Thanks everyone so far, this is great information. Now, another question, are there a lot of mods or upgrades (besides stock) for these rifles? Ill stop in to ask about whats avail for the MkII on my way to work. (if they don't chase me out since my 10day for the Ruger doesn't end til next week)

rb765
04-26-2012, 2:05 PM
BTW, I forgot to mention that the G model has iron sights. I had to remove them for the scope I mounted on it, but it was nice to have that option. In regards to upgrades, I have not seen the need to do anything to it other than the stock and mount the scope so I am not sure of what is available. But if given the option, the accutrigger is worth the extra money instead of the stock trigger from what I hear (mine came with accutrigger standard).

GunHo
04-26-2012, 4:00 PM
Can we get the SR models in CA? I didnt think I would be able to, due to the threaded barrel. Very nice looking TRR-SR! I dont have the $500 for a TR, so I think I will just build my own

Thanks. I'm not sure what's on the roster for Savage rifles. I bought this at Target master in milpitas. It was this or the stock 10/22 but man, the stock 10/22 needs many upgrades. This Savage need nothing.

Fractured
04-27-2012, 6:18 PM

That pic right there makes me feel like I need a Bolt action .22 BAD

JNunez23
04-27-2012, 8:50 PM
I'm getting one. Just put a FV in jail today.

Anyone have any feedback on the FV model??

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

rkt88edmo
04-27-2012, 9:03 PM
Dang- chingdao gave someone a good deal - especially with all the accessories.

The MkIIs are all the same action and outside of the stocks and taper/bull pretty much all the same, you can always change stocks if you don't like what you started with.

I bought my BTVS from a calgunner, still haven't scoped it out, need to figure out what rings to use with the 20MOA base - and since I'm a total newb when it comes to glass and rifles I have no idea what to buy to mount my nikon buckmaster.

Gatotsu77
04-27-2012, 10:33 PM

Glad I could inspire a fellow CalGunner :43: Now get out there and get yourself a bolt-action .22! :p

covingtonhouse
04-28-2012, 9:31 PM
Dang- chingdao gave someone a good deal - especially with all the accessories.

The MkIIs are all the same action and outside of the stocks and taper/bull pretty much all the same, you can always change stocks if you don't like what you started with.

I bought my BTVS from a calgunner, still haven't scoped it out, need to figure out what rings to use with the 20MOA base - and since I'm a total newb when it comes to glass and rifles I have no idea what to buy to mount my nikon buckmaster.

I have a MK II BV with a Nikon 6-18x40 Buckmasters target dot scope. 20 MOA should get you plenty of elevation for out to 150 yds or more with med mount rings. The BTVS has that nice cheek placement with the thumbhole stock, so you might even be fine with high rings if your objective lens is bigger than 40mm. Mine just clears the barrel at 40mm. i had to cut a small notch in the lens cover to get it to fit over the objective lens. Very accurate rifle with sk std+ ammo. It also really likes RWS R50 and Lapua Midas +, but both arer pretty expensive for everyday use. I used the stock scope bases with a coke can shim under the rear mount to account for a small amount of barrel droop that appears to be common in the MK II's.

Bulldog1911
04-28-2012, 10:13 PM

+1 to that

Josh Smith
04-28-2012, 11:36 PM
My Mark II BTVS came with the bull barrel touching the stock.

A couple magazines flew apart at the rivets. None of the mags came with sufficient spring tension.

It started dropping into the Accutrigger's safety position after a couple hundred rounds.

I called the company, and was directed to the rimfire folks in Canada. They were very much less than helpful.

New sear? Nope! Internationally ship the rifle and magazines to determine if there was a problem, on my dime.

The rifle was JUNK when I got it, and the woman I talked to was VERY rude from the get-go. Acted like I was wasting her time. Emails went unanswered.

Ended up recutting the sear myself, then fired it and PROPERLY case-hardened it. Purchased more magazines. The stainless don't come apart like the blue, so I used the blued mags for their guts and tossed the bodies. Doubling the springs gives sufficient tension.

Suffice to say, I am very UNDERWHELMED by Savage. I will not buy any more of their rifles.

I've been thinking about another rimfire. It will be a CZ American.

If anything goes wrong with your Savage, figure you're on your own. Buyer beware.

By the way, Savage is the ONLY gun company I've EVER had reason to speak out against. Not because they messed up a rifle (even though it should NEVER have left the factory!) but because they hassled me about standing behind their products!

Never again. Ever. Savage is dead to me. Won't be considering them at all in the future, and won't ever recommend them to anyone.

</rant>

Josh

mreed
04-29-2012, 3:10 PM
just DROS'd my mark ii G

Rob42o
05-26-2012, 12:13 PM
I just ordered mine. Pick it up in 13 days, (since that's pay day :D ) Mark II FV-SR, I was going to order from Buds, but CenterFire in Riverside had a warehouse with some in stock! $278 about, out the door. I was thinking about getting a UTG Tac-Ops Bipod for it, and a CenterPoint Illuminated 4-16x40mm Scope. Would like to shoot, 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, and maybe 300 yards if possible.