PDA

View Full Version : 700 Long Action in a AICS

1Luv4SF
04-24-2012, 1:31 PM
I'm looking to start my first bolt rifle build soon and am in the process of planning it out. I want to go with a Rem700 LA and Krieger barrel and put it in a AICS 2.0. Does anyone have advice who's done this before? I want to chamber it in 300WM.

Iloveguns
04-24-2012, 1:36 PM
What type of advice are you looking for? Are you looking at chambering it your self? Have you had any gunsmithing experience before? If you are good with a lathe there are some threads out there that can walk you through it. Other wise I would recommend R&D Precision. He is local. Has a decent wait time but builds excellent rifles. He is not the only one around. Spartan Rifles, GA Precision, Short Action Customs and so many more . All are good builders.

Chontkleer
04-24-2012, 1:38 PM
What type of advice are you looking for? Are you looking at chambering it your self? Have you had any gunsmithing experience before? If you are good with a lathe there are some threads out there that can walk you through it. Other wise I would recommend R&D Precision. He is local. Has a decent wait time but builds excellent rifles. He is not the only one around. Spartan Rifles, GA Precision, Short Action Customs and so many more . All are good builders.

What level of skills are required? I thought the AICS was made so you could just drop in the action and barrel and go. (OP, been thinking of this stock for a while too -- let me know how it goes).

HK Dave
04-24-2012, 1:42 PM
I would suggest having the barrel installed by a gunsmith. The stock is as easy as using a torque wrench and applying the proper torque to the bolts. It's a simple drop in.

BTW not sure what your intended purpose is... and whether you're planning on shooting past 1K yards... but 308 will do just fine sub 1000 yards and would save you a boatload of money.

Iloveguns
04-24-2012, 4:12 PM
What level of skills are required? I thought the AICS was made so you could just drop in the action and barrel and go. (OP, been thinking of this stock for a while too -- let me know how it goes).

It is pretty much a drop in stock. The OP was a little vague and made it sound like he wanted to spin his own barrel. Only thing I have seen that needs to be done to the AICS is a little machining that's needed to be done if you change out the stock trigger to a Jewel or a Timney. You can do it ghetto style with a dremel and it will work just fine.

1Luv4SF
04-25-2012, 1:01 PM
To clarify I was seeking advice on parts to accumulate for this build. IE, is the R700 the only action you can drop in? Im pretty sure you can use a Surgeon but thats out of my budget. What about a Savage action for example? Im looking for advice on wheres the best place to get these parts.

1Luv4SF
04-25-2012, 1:02 PM
ALSO... Im thinking of listing my new AR308 for trade if someone has the AICS stock rifle im looking for. Im into the AR for around $2.5K so it holds some trade value.

Short Action Precision
04-25-2012, 1:24 PM
Sent you a PM. My suggestion is if you are spending money for a new barrel and truing up the action I would stick with the Rem 700. As far as I know they do not have one for the Savage yet. Lots of talk but nothing yet.