PDA

View Full Version : Scope base/ring questions

Generic
04-23-2012, 9:31 PM
Noob here with my first bolt action. I don't have any experience with scopes, bases or rings. I ordered a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40mm to go on top of a Tikka T3. Using the online tool at Natchez, it recommends medium size rings for this scope/gun. On Luepold's website, they recommend using the lowest size ring. What is common? I was looking at the Leupold base and rings. Should I also look at different brands? If so, which? Thoughts on the DNZ one piece? Thanks for any input.

IVC
04-24-2012, 4:33 PM
In general, you want the lowest possible rings to mount the scope without touching the barrel. At 40mm you are in between medium and low - it will depend on the manufacturer. Medium is a sure bet.

When it comes to bases, decide on what type of the mounting system you want before deciding on the manufacturer. If you go with the integrated base/ring you won't be able to change or remove scope without disassembling your setup, which will require you to align everything again including zeroing the scope. Most of the two piece setups will allow you to remove and reattach the scope without losing zero. The "quick detach" systems will let you remove scope without tools in the field. This is handy in several scenarios: (1) when you have backup iron sights and want to shoot with them; (2) when you break your scope and want to use backup irons; (3) when you break your scope and want to use another scope which you previously zeroed in as a backup. Note that you can do all of the above with the non-QD rings, but you would need tools.

Of other brands, Talleys are very nice (proprietary) bases and rings. You can't go wrong with Leupolds either. I would stay away from one piece systems on a hunting rifle. This is just my 2c.

Generic
04-24-2012, 6:21 PM
In general, you want the lowest possible rings to mount the scope without touching the barrel. At 40mm you are in between medium and low - it will depend on the manufacturer. Medium is a sure bet.

When it comes to bases, decide on what type of the mounting system you want before deciding on the manufacturer. If you go with the integrated base/ring you won't be able to change or remove scope without disassembling your setup, which will require you to align everything again including zeroing the scope. Most of the two piece setups will allow you to remove and reattach the scope without losing zero. The "quick detach" systems will let you remove scope without tools in the field. This is handy in several scenarios: (1) when you have backup iron sights and want to shoot with them; (2) when you break your scope and want to use backup irons; (3) when you break your scope and want to use another scope which you previously zeroed in as a backup. Note that you can do all of the above with the non-QD rings, but you would need tools.

Of other brands, Talleys are very nice (proprietary) bases and rings. You can't go wrong with Leupolds either. I would stay away from one piece systems on a hunting rifle. This is just my 2c.

Thanks for the input. Since my Tikka is still in jail, I haven't seen it yet. I found out that Tikka's have bases machined into the receiver. I think they even come with rings too. I've had a few recommendations for the Talley rings.

jbush
04-24-2012, 10:56 PM
Midwayusa.com has a scope ring size chart in their reference section at the bottom of their home page that might help. Might ask this question in the optics forum also.

Hamstur
04-25-2012, 1:03 AM
People like to mount the scope as close to the barrel as possible for aesthetic purposes & it doesn't snag as easy if you are hauling it -- it does not affect accuracy. More important is if you can achieve provides proper cheek weld.

Since the Tikka action is a closed-top design, I would go with a 20MOA HD base from EGW. Rings in the 0.82-0.87 height range should work good.

TreeHugger
04-25-2012, 6:20 AM
No matter what, don't be like this guy :laugh:

fhQ_QXk-Gdc

NOTE: DO NOT use red Loctite as one has suggested on YouTube! Use Blue instead.

I have a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 LR, used to have I believe the Leupold Mark 4 rings medium on my ex-bolt, nice rings. There are other good brands out there, one of my favorite is Larue Tactical. Just don't go too cheap on rings. For the base, my personal preference is one piece.

peter95
04-25-2012, 6:48 AM
No matter what, don't be like this guy :laugh:

fhQ_QXk-Gdc

NOTE: DO NOT use red Loctite as one has suggested on YouTube! Use Blue instead.

I have a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 LR, used to have I believe the Leupold Mark 4 rings medium on my ex-bolt, nice rings. There are other good brands out there, one of my favorite is Larue Tactical. Just don't go too cheap on rings. For the base, my personal preference is one piece.

lol wow, that's pretty bad.

anyways.... what the heck was that white thing in the end?

OP. lower the mount without touching anything is best. You have some homework to do.

See what most Tikka owners are using, pm them and go from there. Most of us are very helpful.