PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 TD Problem

coolname74
04-23-2012, 10:10 PM
I picked up my TD today. Cool! Got home and put it together. Hmmmmm...the forearm did not line up with the rest of the stock. I looked it over, then off to the good ole internet to see if I could fix it. Googled "10/22 TD stock alignment". On Sigfourm I found some people who had the same problem, and their sights were canted to the left. I checked mine and sure enough, canted. Well, being gun sales are final at Turner's, looks like it will making a trip back to Ruger.

Added pics below in post #11

CZlover
04-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Picking mine up on Sat....This is something to look for when they release mine. I paid in full at the time of Dros and still have not seen my baby just yet...

Thanks for sharing and sorry about your TD...

oddball
04-24-2012, 1:01 PM
I sent my Takedown rifle back to Ruger to correct the misalignment issue.
Just call CS and explain the problem, and they will have UPS pick it up. I used the original box, but did not pack the magazine, the carry bag, and the scope rail. It's still an awesome rifle, just needs to get correct.

I was going to install a scope, but I still wanted a straight, aligned rifle and sights.

Flintlock Tom
04-24-2012, 2:53 PM
The 10/22 take-down has a ring in the Take-Down sub-assembly for adjusting the "tightness" of the fit.
Inserted into the front of the receiver is a stainless steel sub-assembly made up of a cylinder to receive the barrel, and a knurled, click adjustable ring and pinned spacer at the front to adjust how tightly the barrel fits. This is a key component in the long term reliability of the 10/22-TD because one of the biggest complaints about takedowns is that the latching mechanism wears out. By making the connection a click adjustable ring, the gun can be locked up tight no matter how much it “settles in” over time.10/22 Take-Down (http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ruger-1022-td-takedown-model-new-gun-review/)

Perhaps it's just a matter of adjusting the ring.

oddball
04-24-2012, 4:03 PM
The 10/22 take-down has a ring in the Take-Down sub-assembly for adjusting the "tightness" of the fit.
10/22 Take-Down (http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ruger-1022-td-takedown-model-new-gun-review/)

Perhaps it's just a matter of adjusting the ring.

No, the ring adjustment has nothing to do with the misalignment issue. It just creates a tighter lock between the two halves.

Mine locks really nice and tight, but the problem (that others are experiencing) is that when locked into place, the two halves are "twisted"; the ideal alignment is actually right before it locks into place. This results in my rear sight canted downwards to the left. Also, when I look at the bottom where the two halves meet, creating the oval shaped scallop, the oval does not line up at all. I know Ruger will correct the issue, their CS has a great reputation.

Jel
04-24-2012, 5:09 PM
Very odd that they are releasing these with that problem. Is their QA slipping or are they just unaware? I'm interested in getting one of these but I guess I should wait till they get the issue fixed.

thatsteveguy
04-24-2012, 5:32 PM
I bought mine when Turner's started selling the T/D's. The store in Orange had them in stock so I asked to see mine before starting DROS. It was okay, but it does illustrate that seeing something before you buy it is the best way. Regretably most of the time that's not an option at Turner's. Bonne Chance!

rrengineer
04-24-2012, 6:22 PM
I took delivery of mine a few weeks ago. Have not even fired it yet. I was showing a friend and noticed the sharp edge of the forestock at the rear where it meets the other half of the gun had a chunk crushed and broken off. I did not drop this gun, I did not put it down hard. It must have happened in the case when I put it down om its end instead of laying it flat. What the heck is the stock made of if it crumbles from a small impact. Ruger said to send the whole gun in to see if it is covered under the warranty. I will replace it, even if I have to buy the part. I will be putting some dense foam in the bottom of the pockets of the case after this.:mad:

kgcabs
04-24-2012, 7:19 PM
I picked up my two Tds today. There where two guys in line ahead of me with the same issue. Turners SD was trying to get ahold of Ruger. Luckily for me mine where aligned perfectly.

I'm guessing Ruger is pumping these out by the hundreds.....and some are falling through the cracks.

ROTC sniper
04-24-2012, 8:30 PM
I'm guessing Ruger is pumping these out by the hundreds.....and some are falling through the cracks.

More like pumping them out by the thousands and letting some slip through the cracks just to capture market share, then deal with the ones that come back...not very good business practice unless you want to lock up the market by flooding it with product.

I'll find out about mine tomorrow....hope it comes out okay. I bought it as many others did, without even seeing it.

coolname74
04-24-2012, 8:55 PM
Called Ruger today and the rifle will get picked up tomorrow. I got through to customer service pretty fast. The woman on the phone asked if I had called earlier with the same issue. I had not. It is a neat little rifle. I hope it is not a widespread problem.

Here is the alignment of the stock, the sights are canted the same amount:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/coolname74/sale/Picture52-1.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/coolname74/sale/Picture53-1.jpg

On a side note, the inside of the magizine well is chipped and looks like someone took a screwdriver to it. This rifle came out of a sealed box. It may be from molding the stock, but it does not look very good and I do not think it would sand out very well because it is on the edge:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/coolname74/sale/Picture55-1.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/coolname74/sale/Picture56-1.jpg

CHECK YOUR TAKEDOWNS!

Thanks CZlover. Good luck rrengineer.

Dirtbikindad393
04-24-2012, 9:00 PM
Picked mine up today. Put it together and looked it over real close before leaving the store all seems to be in order. I will look it over real close when I get to work tomorrow and see it it lines up perfectly.

nick
04-24-2012, 9:18 PM
Called Ruger today and the rifle will get picked up tomorrow. I got through to customer service pretty fast. The woman on the phone asked if I had called earlier with the same issue. I had not. It is a neat little rifle. I hope it is not a widespread problem.

Here is the alignment of the stock, the sights are canted the same amount:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/coolname74/sale/Picture52-1.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/coolname74/sale/Picture53-1.jpg

On a side note, the inside of the magizine well is chipped and looks like someone took a screwdriver to it. This rifle came out of a sealed box. It may be from molding the stock, but it does not look very good and I do not think it would sand out very well because it is on the edge:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/coolname74/sale/Picture55-1.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k218/coolname74/sale/Picture56-1.jpg

CHECK YOUR TAKEDOWNS!

Thanks CZlover. Good luck rrengineer.

Hmm, I have these exact two problems (misalignment and that chip in the magwell). It's time to call Ruger.

walletclan
04-25-2012, 8:42 AM
Hmmm, mine is misaligned too and so was a guy shooting his at the range.... I never checked the mag well. Just great...

judgedrift
04-25-2012, 2:09 PM
Yup have all the same issues including the magwell nick. I haven't even shot it yet Time to call Ruger.

ADROCK
04-25-2012, 5:30 PM
Just got mine home, put it together and sure as shot, mine has the same problem. I called the store where I got it and they said that that is normal and that most take down rifles don't line up perfectly. I came right to CG to see if this is true. I didn't even have to start my own thread to ask the question. Not sure what is happening to Ruger. My SR-22 mags had to be replaced because they didn't fit in the magwell without forcing them in and then wouldn't come out (Ruger replaced them NQA).... now this. I am just thankful that the customer service is so good and easy to deal with, but, I wish I didn't have to utilize them on a brand new purchase.

Maltese Falcon
04-25-2012, 6:37 PM
....oh just great, I pick mine up Saturday.

Good to know what to look out for though.

Thanks!

RJonesUSC
04-26-2012, 12:38 PM
I noticed mine was off as well but I was able to shift the forward part of the stock around the barrel enough to make it line up without too much effort. The sights seem to line up fine although I haven't shot it yet (I'm planning to this weekend). I do seem to recall that blemish in the magwell but I'll have to double check that when I get home.

joefrank64k
04-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Add another to the pile...this thread motivated me to finally take my TD out of the box:

Misalignment:

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt139/joefrank64k/aa37be8c.jpg

More Misalignment:

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt139/joefrank64k/f3de5863.jpg

Chipped edges at the top of the stock:

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt139/joefrank64k/43b154af.jpg

I'll be calling Ruger tomorrow morning...on the bright side, I get to wait for my TD all over again! :rolleyes:

Wrangler John
04-26-2012, 10:15 PM
My 10/22 TD did not have a problem with misaligned sights, the barrel and stock alignment is perfect. After mounting a Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5x scope the first range trip resulted in misfires using Winchester High Speed ammo, at least two per magazine. The firing pin was striking the rims too high, a common problem with the 10/22. Trigger pull is also extremely heavy with too much creep.

I disassembled it back at the shop and found every screw in the rifle barely snugged down. Removing the action from the stock resulted in a cascade of pins falling out of the trigger housing, both Receiver Cross Pins (B-5) and the Magazine Latch Pivot Pin (B-35) fell onto the bench pad. Ruger cautions about the Receiver Cross Pins falling out when the action is removed from the stock, they were correct. I don't recall my older 10/22's having this problem, but they had metal trigger guards. This is a great feature when disassembly is necessary in the field, especially when the pins disappear as small parts are wont to do when they rebound off a tailgate.

The bolt assembly was saturated with oil, far too much in my opinion, so it went into the solvent tank and was reassembled with a light application of lube. Firing pin strikes were still too high. Rather than mess with it, I installed a Volquartsen firing pin which resulted in full strike patterns and consistent ignition of test rounds. Do not toss the receiver in a solvent tank, Ruger warns that the aluminum finish is a clear coat paint that will be damaged depending on the solvent used.

I also ordered an aftermarket trigger assembly as the plastic trigger guard housing and a 7 to 8 lb pull is not acceptable. I just don't have time to mess with reworking the factory trigger.

Next thing I noticed was that the barrel/forend assembly was now loose when locked into place. I found that the Clamp (9) which replaces the Barrel Retainer-V Block (B-66) on the standard 10/22 was loose. The two screws were not even hand tight. After tightening them down the barrel wouldn't slide into position. Disassembling the clamp disclosed a large aluminum burr on the right side of the receiver extension. After removal the clamp was tightened down again with the same result, the barrel wouldn't slide into position. Leaving the clamp loose allowed the barrel to be assembled, and if carefully adjusted to just the right amount of looseness the barrel would slide into position and rotate until it locked. Of course it will shoot loose leaving the barrel to wobble laterally. I'll order another clamp and try hand fitting the mating surface until the barrel will work with the clamp tightened down.

I wouldn't normally go through all this, but this little rifle is an ideal survival package to keep in the pickup. It just has to be reliable. My first impression of the TD was that Ruger had hit a home run, but now it appears that it was more of a base hit. I hope that in time they get it worked out. It was quite an experience since my last 10/22 was a 1970's vintage - that was quite a rifle.

DinoPJR
04-26-2012, 10:45 PM
It seems like they are all like that. All i know is that I have shot over 1000 rounds through mine and it shoots like a champ! No Jams and hitting right on target. So I will keep an eye on this thread to see if they correct that problem. If not, it is still a straight shooter!

RJonesUSC
04-26-2012, 11:39 PM
I noticed mine was off as well but I was able to shift the forward part of the stock around the barrel enough to make it line up without too much effort. The sights seem to line up fine although I haven't shot it yet (I'm planning to this weekend). I do seem to recall that blemish in the magwell but I'll have to double check that when I get home.

Checked it when I got home. Just some slight marks in the mag well but that's about it. We'll see how it shoots on Saturday at the Firing Line.

coolname74
04-27-2012, 1:40 AM
The stock seems a little...crumbly. It looks like it breaks if it gets hit on the edge. ? The gouges in my mag well seemed to scratch pretty easily with my fingernail. I think the aftermarket stocks will be great.

bohoki
04-27-2012, 1:58 AM
ooh i got to call up and get the forearm for my agp folder

DinoPJR
04-27-2012, 9:01 AM
so if you send it back to ruger how long will it take? I already waited a boat load to get this gun I don't really feel like waiting another month to get the gun back. I am still gonna call ruger today. Really like the gun though if the sights are off they aren't off by much because I have been pretty well on target everytime I shoot it. What a bummer though!:(:(

Wrangler John
04-27-2012, 9:59 AM
Solved the problem of the loose barrel clamp. The barrel clamp (9) had to be completely loose or the barrel would not slide into the receiver or rotate to lock. The barrel clamp appears to be a MIM part which is installed as molded. Because there is no fitting of the clamp, it would not allow the barrel to install if its retaining screws were tightened, so Ruger simply left the screws loose so the clamp would slop fit. This allowed the barrel clamp to loosen from the receiver and the barrel to shift around destroying accuracy.

It may not have mattered so much using the open sights, as both are mounted on the barrel, but with a scope mounted on the receiver, the barrel could shift laterally and be pointing away from the aiming point.

I removed the clamp and honed its top surface using a carborundum stone until it was almost flat. Working a little at a time, the barrel finally slid in and locked with the clamp secured to the receiver. A .0015" thickness gauge fit between the barrel flat and the clamp. The clamp screws were coated with an anti-galling compound and tightened to 40 in/lbs. Both sections are stable now and easily assemble/disassemble. Total time was less than 30 minutes.

Ruger made a nice kit, pleasing me greatly with another problem solving challenge. :)

redhemi
04-27-2012, 10:43 AM
I guess I got lucky with mine. No chips or gouges and the alinement is almost spot on. I have already run a couple of hundred rounds through it and with the exception of 5 FTEs it has performed very well. I can't wait to get a scope on it.

The one thing I am not impressed with is that the manuel supplied does not specifically cover the TD model which I think Ruger needs to cover. I did go to Rugers website and got this. https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/1022TD-3fje6z61.pdf

Maybe this could help in making a small adjustment for better alinement. Now if we could only get that 25 round mag (wishful thinking).

SoCal Bob
04-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Mine had a minor stock alignment problem too but I was able to correct it.

The barrel retainer screws (#10 on the Ruger 10/22 TD insert), take a 5/32 allen wrench.
Loosen the barrel retainer screws just enough so that the clamp (#9) can move but not so it is loose.
Attach the barrel section and rotate it to where the stocks are properly aligned.
Remove the barrel and re-tighten the screws.
Both sections should now be aligned.

Ruger 10/22 TD insert - https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/1022TD-3fje6z61.pdf

DinoPJR
04-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Cool I might try that socal bob. Thanks

BBJohnnyT
04-27-2012, 12:16 PM

The barrel retainer screws (#10 on the Ruger 10/22 TD insert), take a 5/32 allen wrench.
Loosen the barrel retainer screws just enough so that the clamp (#9) can move but not so it is loose.
Attach the barrel section and rotate it to where the stocks are properly aligned.

Ruger 10/22 TD insert - https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/1022TD-3fje6z61.pdf
Thank you, you're a genius! Mine was out of alignment by about 1/16". It was still within adjustment range of my Williams peep on the receiver, so I thought I would just live with it instead of going through the hassle of returning it to Ruger. Using this fix, my barrel is now in perfect alignment. Basically, there is about a full 1/8" play available in the clamp (#9) once you loosen the bolts (#10). That allows you to fine tune where the forend stock/barrel stops once you rotate it into the receiver.

Edit: I also noticed that the clamp retainer hex bolts (#10) were loose, and I shot only about 300 rounds so far. Everyone with a new 100/22 (takedown or not), should check for tightness on all of their bolts and screws.

ETAviator
04-27-2012, 2:04 PM
I'll join the ranks here. No nicks in the plastic but I do have issues with misalignment on the bottom. Up top everything looks lined up.

BBJohnnyT
04-27-2012, 2:19 PM
I'll join the ranks here. No nicks in the plastic but I do have issues with misalignment on the bottom. Up top everything looks lined up.
Just use DinoPJR's instructions above to realign the clamp and you'll be good to go.

DinoPJR
04-27-2012, 5:07 PM
haha I didn't write the instructions but I am gonna try them

DinoPJR
04-27-2012, 5:12 PM
Well i just tried that and seems to work it is aligned now! I am gonna go shoot it right now and I will report. in couple minutes

DinoPJR
04-27-2012, 5:15 PM
Well I just shot rounds out my front door and it was on target and all that. Now i just need to test it better, but it is all aligned now so cool thanks guys!

joefrank64k
04-27-2012, 7:00 PM
I decided to go through mine and see what was what.

I was able to correct the misalignment as others have already done. I didn't find any other issues (loose screws, barrel clamp, etc). So, it's staying! :)

warpedlogic
04-27-2012, 7:04 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I don't have the misalignment, but I do have the chip in the magwell. I figured it was from me, but it's in the same spot and looks identical to yours. That chip hasn't affected anything yet in 250 rounds.

Sunday
04-27-2012, 7:55 PM
Great rifles other than they don't line up. HMMMM. I love not spending my $$$ and time testing a new product.

Schlyme
04-27-2012, 9:04 PM
After reading this thread, I'm glad I was to cheap and bought the blued wood stock 10/22 lmao. Though if I do get a TD I think I'll do something like Wrangler John. I like the idea of a nice tight fitting and shooting gun!

Soul_Cal
04-27-2012, 9:52 PM

Thank you sir! Got my sight aligned thanks to your post.

DinoPJR
04-27-2012, 10:38 PM
After reading this thread, I'm glad I was to cheap and bought the blued wood stock 10/22 lmao. Though if I do get a TD I think I'll do something like Wrangler John. I like the idea of a nice tight fitting and shooting gun! I bought one of those to along with two takedowns. The takedown is great! I really love the wood 10/22 i got too. Real nice shooter. I must say though after I aligned the takedown it is a real nice shooter. No play and feels real solid. so don't laugh your butt off too much schlyme you wont be able to get a takedown for a long time so I am LMAO!

Schlyme
04-28-2012, 12:16 AM
I bought one of those to along with two takedowns. The takedown is great! I really love the wood 10/22 i got too. Real nice shooter. I must say though after I aligned the takedown it is a real nice shooter. No play and feels real solid. so don't laugh your butt off too much schlyme you wont be able to get a takedown for a long time so I am LMAO!

no worries. give my budget time to recover.

CZlover
04-28-2012, 10:05 PM

Was able to re-align my TD, thanks to you :)
Btw, do I need to tighten up that spacer screw(#7 & #8) as well? Since I can't find a hex wrench that small :(

kgcabs
04-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Btw, do I need to tighten up that spacer screw as well? Since I can't find a hex wrench that small :(

That's a pin not an allen.

CZlover
04-28-2012, 11:03 PM
That's a pin not an allen.

Does it still need to be punched down or should I just leave it loose that way? Thanks.

coolname74
04-29-2012, 1:22 AM
I looked at those allen bolts, I didnt want to mess with them.

kgcabs
04-29-2012, 6:39 AM
Does it still need to be punched down or should I just leave it loose that way? Thanks.

Leave it. The detents hold it in place.

SoCal Bob
04-29-2012, 10:58 AM
I think kgcabs has it right. My pin (#8) is recessed into the spacer (#7) and the spacer does have some play without the barrel attached. As long as the pin is not sticking up you should be fine.

CZlover
04-30-2012, 4:28 PM
20rds of CCI mini mags & 80rds of Federal value packs went through the barrel without a hiccup, then I cleaned the barrel and tried out 100rds of Winchester 555 value packs and had 8 failures to extract :mad:

Got home & disassembled the extractor, pin & spring. There was too much oil & roughness on both sides of the extractor and extractor slot. I had to give those some stoning & polishing then re-oiled & re-assembled. It took more than 30' for the whole process.

Tried out 100rds of Winchester 555 value packs today without any failure to extract. Problem fixed! No need for VQ extractor, well...at least for now :D

Love the TD:cool:

DinoPJR
04-30-2012, 11:33 PM
glad to hear CZ lover. I am a new 10/22 owner and I love my TD but I also got a wood 10/22 at the same time and man I am LOVING the wood 1022 rifle. I am shooting squirrels left and right with this thing. Real fun guns.

Sackman1886
05-01-2012, 7:21 PM
Hmm, I have these exact two problems (misalignment and that chip in the magwell). It's time to call Ruger.

Just got mine today, and same two problems as well... BUMMER!!!!

Sackman1886
05-01-2012, 8:30 PM
Btw, do I need to tighten up that spacer screw(#7 & #8) as well? Since I can't find a hex wrench that small :(

Yup! This did the trick! good work...

frdman
05-01-2012, 11:06 PM
I picked mine up today. I have the two chips in the magwell too, although they dont' look like chips on mine. It looks like there were plastic tabs there that got broken off.

NOTABIKER
05-02-2012, 8:04 AM
i am not a brand person. what is the love affair with 10-22s. all i here about is replacement barrels and triggers to fix them. i just bought 2 22s a simi auto and bolt action. in another brand and they shoot fantastic out of the box. one only cost 159 bucks.

oddball
05-02-2012, 10:54 AM
i am not a brand person. what is the love affair with 10-22s. all i here about is replacement barrels and triggers to fix them. i just bought 2 22s a simi auto and bolt action. in another brand and they shoot fantastic out of the box. one only cost 159 bucks.

The 10/22 platform is beyond the Ruger brand. Similar to the AR platform, now there are companies that make parts that can improve the basic design. Arguably it is still the state-of-the-art design in a .22 semi auto rifle. The basic Ruger is a good rifle out of the box, but when modified with excellent specialty parts, it can get close to your Anschutz type of target rifle accuracy, but semi auto instead of bolt action. Plus the recent release of a reliable proprietary 25 rd magazine makes the platform even more fun.

NOTABIKER
05-02-2012, 11:02 AM
right now i have a mossberg and 2 savages, i see a ruger in my future also. my first gun was in the late 50s, it was a simi auto remington 22 with a scope. it was kind of heavy for a kid. im guessing it was made around 1950 or later. wish i could see a pic of one. it was a tube feed.

DOSman
05-02-2012, 2:27 PM
Maybe this will help NOTABIKER

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rem_nylon_rifles.htm

NOTABIKER
05-02-2012, 3:04 PM
DOS man thanks for the help. i think i figured out it was a 550 wood stock simi auto.

DinoPJR
05-02-2012, 6:49 PM
Simi auto? You spell it SEMI AUTO

jmax
05-05-2012, 9:41 PM
Picked mine up today and alignment was perfect with a decent trigger as well:-)
Now I have 4 but one receiver is back at Ruger with a vertical crack at the rear of the ejection port all the way through the metal. They have it but am waiting for their response.

peterhungle
05-09-2012, 1:41 PM
Just picked up my TD yesterday from Turners FV and found out this morning about the alignment problem on Calguns. Took mine out and low and behold, it's misaligned to the left about a centimeter. Called cs at Ruger about the problem and they're having UPS pick it up tomorrow for the repair. They said turn around time should be a week.

BBJohnnyT
05-09-2012, 6:16 PM
Just picked up my TD yesterday from Turners FV and found out this morning about the alignment problem on Calguns. Took mine out and low and behold, it's misaligned to the left about a centimeter. Called cs at Ruger about the problem and they're having UPS pick it up tomorrow for the repair. They said turn around time should be a week.
No need to send it back to Ruger. It's a simple 5 minute fix using SoCal Bob's instructions on page 1 of this thread.

peterhungle
05-10-2012, 2:09 PM
Thanks BB, and SoCal Bob special thanks to you. I followed your instructions and fixed the alignment problem in less than 5 mins.

rrengineer
05-26-2012, 7:25 PM
Got my rifle back from Ruger yesterday UPS. They replaced the fore stock with a new one. Even had a sticker on the replaced stock that said "Ruger Takedown". My original one did not have that sticker. Removed it anyway. They said they R & R ed the stock, test fired and shipped back to me. Now they have fired it twice and I have not had a chance to fire it even once! From some of the pictures I see in this thread, a lot of people are having a bad time with these stocks crumbling on their sharp edges. I think an aftermarket stock is not only a good idea but necessary for this rifle. I will be replacing mine when they come along.

rrengineer
05-27-2012, 11:42 PM
Well, I'd like to see more pictures of the edges of other stocks on these rifles to see for myself. Has anyone else noticed this?

Choco
05-29-2012, 3:14 PM
Well I just shot rounds out my front door and it was on target and all that. Now i just need to test it better, but it is all aligned now so cool thanks guys!

Must be nice to just shoot out your front door lol.